Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

54 minutes ago, bose said:

Same team as vs Bristol City.

Possibly move Elmo to RB and try Guilbert as a left back. Can't be worse than Taylor.

And Taylor as a CB? Konsa or Mings are not going to play ,Engles is injured so surely you are suggesting we play Taylor at  Cb or we play with just one cb and Elmo at Rb and Guilbert at Lb? The Taylor bashing is getting boring honestly 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

And Taylor as a CB? Konsa or Mings are not going to play ,Engles is injured so surely you are suggesting we play Taylor at  Cb or we play with just one cb and Elmo at Rb and Guilbert at Lb? The Taylor bashing is getting boring honestly 

Mings would play, won’t kill a CB to play three games in a week. The “Taylor bashing” is based on him not being Premier league standard. Nothing against him personally.

Just now, bose said:

Mings would play, won’t kill a CB to play three games in a week. The “Taylor bashing” is based on him not being Premier league standard. Nothing against him personally.

We all know he’s not premier league standard but he as to do for now and is perfectly fine for cup games . As for Mings playing It would be a unnecessary risk, Jose even implied that spurs where going to throw the game agains chelsea tonight as their schedule is to congested 

It’s worked out really well having all these league cup games early in the season, it means the vast majority of the squad is up to a good level of match fitness already, plus it’s been good for our confidence levels (and most other clubs in the PL as we’ve seen very few upsets to date).

Having lived in stoke for 15 odd years I really hope we win! Our record against them is pretty average.

• Like 1

With regard to Traore, I'd much rather he starts against Liverpool than Stoke. So as he only got eight minutes yesterday, boo, I think it would be good to bring him on after an hour against Stoke. Then maybe he can start against Liverpool. He had pre-season with Lyon, didn't he? And he was in full training with them mid-week, so I don't see why he shouldn't be match fit.

Edited by robby b

Agreed, I would rather see Trezeguet against Liverpool, he will track back and hassle Robertson.

Traore should be able to get 70/80 minutes in against Stoke to build his fitness and get him up to speed. He will also help us get through the round. Bring him off the bench against Liverpool late in the game against tired legs if we are still in it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Agreed, I would rather see Trezeguet against Liverpool, he will track back and hassle Robertson.

Traore should be able to get 70/80 minutes in against Stoke to build his fitness and get him up to speed. He will also help us get through the round. Bring him off the bench against Liverpool late in the game against tired legs if we are still in it.

Well maybe not too late in the game, like yesterday. Traore's running is faster than Trezeguet's, the main reason why he's been bought. If Traore doesn't start against Liverpool then I'd prefer to see him brought on in the 65th minute rather than the 85th, for example. He should be fit already, he hasn't been injured, he must have been training with Lyon and playing a few games for their reserve team. Dean Smith said himself in the pre-Fulham press conference that Traore was fit enough to start it. Fair enough for starting Trez in that game given we beat Sheffield United. Well actually, as we beat Fulham too there is a strong argument for him starting again against Liverpool too, I acknowledge that (the old not changing a winning team). 

As for tracking back and hassling Robertson, well, maybe you're right, I've only seen three clips collections of Traore, each one a few minutes long, so I don't know. If one of the complaints from some Lyon fans was about him not tracking back enough then I think you have a valid point. But if he didn't track back enough at Lyon then let's hope Smith and Terry get him tracking back more for us!

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, bose said:

Taylor has played over 170 premier league games, which I suspect is far more than most of the Villa players at present.

Just saying.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Try more or less the same side as Bristol and see how we get on. At least playing so many league cup games in a short time it sharpens up the back up players as well. 

I think it might be good for the league cup if they tried to do something similar in a normal season if possible to get the early rounds out of the way and act almost as a pre season.

They used to do it like that in Italy.  They got a few quick rounds out of the way while the Serie A was getting into full swing. Although having just checked now, they don't do that any more, and they don't even enter half the Serie A sides into it until the last 16 in January 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, BOF said:

It would be lunacy to even contemplate Mings against Stoke, and that ignores his not-entirely-bulletproof injury record.

Don't agree at all that it would be lunacy, that's pretty hyperbolic. But yeah with his injury record, not the best move maybe. But it's also a question of whether we want to progress in the cup or not.

Probably just shows how desperately we need more cover at CB and probably at LB as well

11 minutes ago, bose said:

Don't agree at all that it would be lunacy, that's pretty hyperbolic. But yeah with his injury record, not the best move maybe. But it's also a question of whether we want to progress in the cup or not.

Probably just shows how desperately we need more cover at CB and probably at LB as well

WRT progressing in the cup. I think the side who cruised past Bristol have more than enough to dispatch Stoke.

I've just looked and Stoke are also mixing it up with their cup team. Similar to Bristol, they made 8 changes for Gillingham to the side who had played their previous league game, and the keeper was one of the surviving 3. They then made 7 changes from the cup side to the next league game.  So we won't be playing against their league 11.

I guess there's a big question now on whether Connor Hourihane drops down into this side at the expense of Ramsey/Lansbury.

It'd be harsh on both Hourihane who has had an excellent start to the season and on Ramsey (who I think would be the more likely player to drop out), but we do now have the depth to be making these tough choices.

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I guess there's a big question now on whether Connor Hourihane drops down into this side at the expense of Ramsey/Lansbury.

It'd be harsh on both Hourihane who has had an excellent start to the season and on Ramsey (who I think would be the more likely player to drop out), but we do now have the depth to be making these tough choices.

If it was a choice of Ramsey or Lansbury dropping out to make way for Hourihane, my money would be on Lansbury. Unless Smith sends Ramsey out on loan. Ramsey being first sub against Fulham (instead of the more obvious Traoré) told me Ramsey's status in the squad is a little higher than I thought it was. I can't see his development being blocked now. JMHO.

EDIT : It'd be nice if Barkley could play in this game, but I suspect he signed too late.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

If it was a choice of Ramsey or Lansbury dropping out to make way for Hourihane, my money would be on Lansbury. Unless Smith sends Ramsey out on loan. Ramsey being first sub against Fulham (instead of the more obvious Traoré) told me Ramsey's status in the squad is a little higher than I thought it was. I can't see his development being blocked now. JMHO.

EDIT : It'd be nice if Barkley could play in this game, but I suspect he signed too late.

Cup tied now isn't he?

• Like 1

after todays signing, i would play Barkley & Traore for 50/60 mins against stoke to help with fitness, then replace them with Hourihane & Trez, to ensure Barkley & traore are fresh to face Liverpool :P