Ross Barkley

LondonLax

2 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

So means we arent signing Nico Williams or Alex Baena?

Think Baena will still happen but Williams was never a realistic option with his wage demands being so outwageous, right?

• Like 1

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

Think Baena will still happen but Williams was never a realistic option with his wage demands being so outwageous, right?

Baena and Barkley can fire us to champions league glory. 

Posted (edited)

Last time with us he looked like a world beater for a few months, but by the halfway mark of the season he was back being an utter waste of space again. I would seriously not trust a few good months at Luton as any indication that he has suddenly become a reliable player - the last 7 or 8 years of evidence shows he has spent most of his career being a total waste of time and money apart from a few isolated periods. This would be a really disappointing signing if it goes through.

Edited by david-avfc

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

What the **** is this s***.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

We're padding out the squad. I am all for it. If Ross Barkley is our new Calum Chambers, then that is a helluva'n upgrade. 

Gallagher next please. We'll have some serious options in central midfield then. (I still see Luiz leaving). 

spacer.png

• Haha 2

A left field choice, but thinking about it could be a decent piece of business. Low cost and added experience. He knows Villa already and can fit straight in adding depth to the squad.

I have to raise my hands up I did not think he would do as well as he did with Luton. He has kicked started his career and might appreciate a second chance going to a top club again.

He started well for us but really went off form for the last few months- so should fit right in lol.

Just screenshotting all these posts ready for the end of next season after he does a Tielemans 👀

We're building a squad to play in Europe and avoid problems like we've had in the last 6 months. If he was coming in as a first choice player then I'd be worried. He won't be first choice, and if he ends up being so then he'll have had to have played bloody well to get there anyway. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

What the **** is this s***.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

We're padding out the squad. I am all for it. If Ross Barkley is our new Calum Chambers, then that is a helluva'n upgrade. 

Gallagher next please. We'll have some serious options in central midfield then. (I still see Luiz leaving). 

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Think Baena will still happen but Williams was nevew a wealistic option with his wage demands being so outwageous, wight?

FTFY

• Haha 1

Here's hoping he's stopped partying and that his attitude to not being THE guy has improved. He will spend a lot of time on the bench if our regular players are fit. Hope the contract is sensible both in length and value. 1+1 on low wages similar to what he had at Luton seems fair.

3 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Unai about to straight up murder whatever was left of Gerrard's managerial "reputation" by recreating exactly the same squad and somehow winning the league with it.

Gerrard never had Barkley at Villa

Just have to trust Unai on this one.  I can't question Barkley's ability, it was just how he gave up in the second half of his season with us before that worries me.  I did think we would target a couple of English players for the European squad so I'm not that shocked.

On 24/12/2023 at 16:36, VillaAlex said:

Bump. One of the inform midfielders in the league recently. Fan favourite at Luton this season. Pleased for him, never felt it was lack of application or ability, just confidence. He wasn't a total waste of space like some players we've had. 

On 09/08/2023 at 20:44, VillaAlex said:

Considering the shite we've had in recent years he isn't that high up in the list of poor signings. He at least gave us glimpses, good luck to him. He was a talented youngster but like Dele Alli you don't know what goes on in players lives and how difficult it is to stay top of the game. Luton could do far worse even if this is considered to most as scraping the barrel.

Two of my previous thoughts. Again on a free transfer and as a squad player he'd been a sensible signing. If of course the wages are sensible too. 

3 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Last time with us he looked like a world beater for a few months, but by the halfway mark of the season he was back being an utter waste of space again. I would seriously not trust a few good months at Luton as any indication that he has suddenly become a reliable player - the last 7 or 8 years of evidence shows he has spent most of his career being a total waste of time and money apart from a few isolated periods. This would be a really disappointing signing if it goes through.

Oh if only we had a manager who would know how to get the best out of him.

• Haha 2

Good deal for us. Played well for Luton. Knows us and the league. Good level of experience. Free transfer to bolster numbers. Makes a lot of sense. Can’t all be £35m+ signings. 

• Like 1

Â