Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

1 minute ago, Condimentalist said:

Before the season I thought 11-14th would be good.

However with the start and signings we've made I think top 10 is totally achievable - if we can avoid key injuries. 

Agreed, but just about every side gets injuries. Last year we missed Heaton, Mings, McGinn, and Wesley for months.

The bookies are still putting the odds of us going down at about 10%. I think that’s fair. Need to make sure we land comfortable (eg 13th) before we start setting sights on top half IMHO.

I really don't see why not. Last seasons top 8 and Everton will probably be up there, but I don't foresee Sheff Utd or Burnley being top 10 again. No reason we can't at least be best of the rest. 

I'm not saying its a failure if we don't- just that its fully achievable if we avoid bad luck with injuries.

• Like 1

Just now, Condimentalist said:

I really don't see why not. Last seasons top 8 and Everton will probably be up there, but I don't foresee Sheff Utd or Burnley being top 10 again. No reason we can't at least be best of the rest. 

I'm not saying its a failure if we don't- just that its fully achievable if we avoid bad luck with injuries.

Yep, squeezing into 10th should just about be possible IF:

- we avoid major injuries

- none of West Ham and Newcastle and Leeds finish in the top half.

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's just 3 matches. Cmon. 

If were doing really well by Christmas, fine we can reconsider, but not now 3 matches in. It would be folly. 

Three to four matches in, it seems we are definitely better than: Fulham, West Brom, Sheffield U, Burnley. That’s us 16th.

We are likely better than: Brighton, Palace, West Ham. That’s us 13th.

We are arguably better than: Leeds, Newcastle, Southampton. That’s us 10th.

Wolves and Man U also seem vulnerable.

These are big assumptions, and who knows what the season will bring in terms of adversity and future transfers. But i don’t think a single digit finish is out of the question.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

Yes, we might be better than Brighton, Palace, West Ham, Leeds, Newcastle, Southampton, Wolves, Man Utd.

The problem is we are probably not going to be better than ALL of them.  

it might be Newcastle or Palace or Leeds or whoever that does better than expected.

Man Utd will be back into the top 6 by the end of the season, possibly with a different manager and £100m spent in January.

33 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yes, we might be better than Brighton, Palace, West Ham, Leeds, Newcastle, Southampton, Wolves, Man Utd.

it might be Newcastle or Palace or Leeds or whoever that does better than expected.

Man Utd will be back into the top 6 by the end of the season, possibly with a different manager and £100m spent in January.

Fair enough, I can’t argue with it. Just wanted to point out that if things fall our way, we can finish in a single digit place. I think the bolded part of your post is likely.

22 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Honestly... I think 11th - 14th would be a 'good' season. 

I don't think we should get carried away just yet, we're bound to go on a bad run of form at some point. 

Thing I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between 8th-10th and 11th-14th. Although I'd be fine with 11th-14th as its continued progress.

WIN THE LEAGUE WIN THE LEAGUE WIN THE LEAGUE

WIN THE LEAGUE    WIN THE LEAGUE

REPEAT

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ender4 said:

Why?

22 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Three to four matches in, it seems we are definitely better than: Fulham, West Brom, Sheffield U, Burnley. That’s us 16th.

These are big assumptions, and who knows what the season will bring in terms of adversity and future transfers. But i don’t think a single digit finish is out of the question.

We are also better than Liverpool!

• Like 1

On 07/10/2020 at 06:37, Enda said:

Agreed, but just about every side gets injuries. Last year we missed Heaton, Mings, McGinn, and Wesley for months.

The bookies are still putting the odds of us going down at about 10%. I think that’s fair. Need to make sure we land comfortable (eg 13th) before we start setting sights on top half IMHO.

Top 8 after Barkley signing

On 07/10/2020 at 07:10, ender4 said:

Delusional. Reality is Glazers don't want to spend big money. Manure are a basket case atm and I'm loving it

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Delusional. Reality is Glazers don't want to spend big money. Manure are a basket case atm and I'm loving it

Can’t see it happening. If United are a basket case and you reckon we’re top 8, will you take a £50 bet on us finishing below them this year?

Â