Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Shows his maturity that even though he loved Neil Cutler - he's willing to expand his game with Unai's kicking coach to improve his sweeping. Of all his strengths, I didn't think sweeping and kicking was one of them. He was too unsure and inaccurate. I don't know if he'll ever get to the pin point passing of Alisson or Ederson or Sanchez from Brighton but he's certainly improving and it will be key to not only building from the back but launching sweeping attacks if opponents think they can try and press Emi.

11 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Shows his maturity that even though he loved Neil Cutler - he's willing to expand his game with Unai's kicking coach to improve his sweeping. Of all his strengths, I didn't think sweeping and kicking was one of them. He was too unsure and inaccurate. I don't know if he'll ever get to the pin point passing of Alisson or Ederson or Sanchez from Brighton but he's certainly improving and it will be key to not only building from the back but launching sweeping attacks if opponents think they can try and press Emi.

I don't think pressing Emi is a good idea - he may explode! 

7 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Big.

He's done so many of these lately.

Consistently saving shots that would normally find their way into the back of the net. Not always world class saves, and sometimes the striker should do better, but so many times you see them go in anyway.

It's like he's punishing the forwards. If it isn't perfectly unstoppably placed, it's getting saved.

I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago that I felt he's gone up another level since coming back from the WC. Like finally the pin has dropped for him and he realises just how good he truly can be. His distribution has most definitely improved. He's now not just commanding his area but the whole 18 yard box and more and with far more assurance. He's the one player in the team that nobody can deny is world class. 

Like I predicted, Emi ended up in the top 40 of Guardian's list of the 100 best footballers in the world.

He is at 20. Not bad.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2023/jan/24/the-100-best-male-footballers-in-the-world-2022

"In emulating Ubaldo Fillol and Nery Pumpido as Argentina’s World Cup-winning goalkeepers, Martínez wrote himself into legend. Neither of those predecessors were required to be the decisive actor in penalty shootouts, as Martínez was against the Netherlands in the quarter-finals and then again in the final itself. His gamesmanship in those pressure situations won him cult status but he also made a crucial, match-winning contribution in open play when France’s Randal Kolo Muani seemed set to score in the last minute of extra time. The one-time Rotherham and Oxford loanee with a London tinge to his accent has come a long way."

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Like I predicted, Emi ended up in the top 40 of Guardian's list of the 100 best footballers in the world.

He is at 20. Not bad.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2023/jan/24/the-100-best-male-footballers-in-the-world-2022

Wonder how many goalkeepers will be in the top ten (none others ahead of him on the list down to there)

4 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

He is at 20. Not bad.

"In emulating Ubaldo Fillol and Nery Pumpido as Argentina’s World Cup-winning goalkeepers, Martínez wrote himself into legend. Neither of those predecessors were required to be the decisive actor in penalty shootouts, as Martínez was against the Netherlands in the quarter-finals and then again in the final itself. His gamesmanship in those pressure situations won him cult status but he also made a crucial, match-winning contribution in open play when France’s Randal Kolo Muani seemed set to score in the last minute of extra time. The one-time Rotherham and Oxford loanee with a London tinge to his accent has come a long way."

Going to be the top ranking goalkeeper then I reckon?

Lloris at 76 is hilarious.

Â