The AVFC FFP thread

1 hour ago, TRO said:

My main worry, is that we have demonstrated very little evidence over the years that spending money on players is our forte.

We seem dim, when it comes to getting value out of transfers( a few exceptions)

I cringe when ever we are poised to splash out...it rarely comes with value for money.

Kodjia, MCormack, Hogan are recent examples.....Kodj not quite so much.

The difference is that we have never had owners and a CEO as astute as we have now.

Purslow has stated that it will be acceptable to remain in the Championship, and I suspect that they will give Smith another season to get up, in the belief that we would then go up with a stronger team, capable of staying up.

Purslow is also one of the architects of FFP, and he will know how best to deal with it. The importance of that should not be underestimated.

And be prepared that they will drop Smith like a hot coal if they feel he cannot take them where they want to go. These are not the sort of guys to mess around.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

I think the EFL, who have the discretion here, need to tread very carefully. Any punishment they apply to teams breaching FFP will act as a precedent, and if it was applied to the letter of the law then I think almost every team in the League would be vulnerable. 

They should take a common sense approach. The philosophy (apart from protecting the top Clubs) is essentially to ensure that Clubs don’t run themselves into the ground.

We are a very well capitalised Club that can sustain these losses (which, BTW, are predominantly only technical losses in Accounting terms, not actual cash losses) because of our Owners and face no existential risk because of that. 

If it came to scrutiny, we’d be able to demonstrate this clearly. I also think FFP will increasingly face more and more criticism to the point where they will have to revise the restrictions on Owners investing capital into Clubs. There is just no way that the current restrictions are fair and are clearly designed to stop Clubs breaking into the upper echelons by virtue of having wealthy owners. 

Legally, as well, I think FFP is built on very fragile ground. Our owners, Wes in particular, are incredibly astute, commercially (I’ve worked with Fortress before and they are KILLERS!) so I’m really not worried about FFP. 

That’s a very informative post thanks. May I add, that most clubs, particularly the bigger one in the Championship, were very unhappy with the latest EFL TV deal. They thought it seriously undervalued the product and they weren’t properly consulted. There was a meeting at Villa Park, I’m sure we won’t have heard the last of this. 

Under these circumstances I think you’re right, the EFL need to tread very carefully. Surely if the clubs think that their income has been restricted by a poor deal dumped on them by the EFL, they won’t take kindly if they are then hit by punitive fines for breaching ffp. They will surely point the finger straight back at the EFL. 

Every now and then there are questions about how teams like Man City and PSG merely pay lip service to the ffp rules. There are a few headlines in the press and the odd slap on the wrist is issued, but essentially nothing happens. Some of the clubs in the Championship, us included, now have owners with vast wealth and huge power, these guys aren’t going to take any nonsense from a bunch of administrators with an over developed sense of importance. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Any one any idea what the deal is with this yet.  We seem to like our loans.  Is the Jan window going to be a couple of loans apposed to new, exciting players?

DS has said he doesn't like loans   (if anyone is still listening to him!)

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't the Scum straight up ignore FFP transfer embargo restrictions and sign a player this summer?  There was all kinds of talk in the papers about the EFL possibly deducting points from them, but then it all went quiet when the season started. FFP is a complete joke.  

It's clearly not working and unless fifa come down hard on teams it won't never be a real thing.

Top teams seem to get away with it which means again it's one rule for one and another rule for the rest.

I think FFP needs to be looked at again and refined. Those teams with the capital should be able to spend. There should be a cap on spending per season or do not allow those clubs whos owners have small balances to spend big where the club's income is small that it can't obviously live beyond its means.

Obviously we don't want those clubs that can't afford it to fall into trouble so something obviously needs to be in place for that. I just don't think those same rules should apply to those who can spend a fair amount so long as they can.

FFP I think will be scrapped down the line if something isn't done to enforce the rules, clubs are making a mockery of it.

4 hours ago, Merson08 said:

Yeah they signed Pederson and before season ends will get a points deduction. 

It depends on where they finish imo because the EFL will want to portray strength whilst actually cowering behind the desk covering their eyes. 

If blues finish in a position whereby a points deduction will not effect their season (promotion/playoffs/relegation) they will be given a points deduction. 

If a points deduction does effect their season it will be a big fine. 

A transfer that sums up Aston Villa’s pitiful policy - and why it must change

AVFC haven't had the greatest record in the transfer market in recent seasons

If ever a transfer summed up Aston Villa’s hapless recruitment policy in recent years it was the deal to sign Jacob Bedeau.

That’s no slight on Bedeau, whose star turns for Bury in 2016/17 prompted admiring glances from clubs far grander than Villa.

What those clubs weren’t prepared to do was pay £900,000 for a 17-year-old with seven first team appearances to his name. Villa didn’t bulk at Bury’s asking price, though, and Tony Xia promptly signed a cheque.

Bedeau impressed for Villa’s under-23s but he didn’t make the first team breakthrough in two years and the club ripped up his contract on deadline day - exactly two years after spending the best part of £1million - and allowed him to join Scunthorpe United.

Homegrown starlets Easah Suliman and Dominic Revan were called up for first team duty in preference to Bedeau in that time, highlighting Villa’s negligence in the transfer market.

While that deal wasn’t one which contributed greatly to the club spiralling into financial ruin last summer, it was one of many unnecessary punts.

The deals which actually saw Xia, Keith Wyness and Co bring shame to Villa Park’s doors are obvious.

Scott Hogan and Ross McCormack for a combined £24million. They’ve returned 10 Championship goals in three seasons and collected millions of pounds in wages.

Then there was Jonathan Kodjia. Lee Johnson says Bristol City had a figure they were holding out for - and Villa smashed right through it. Kodjia’s first season in claret and blue was excellent but Villa could yet pay £15million for him.

Despite the chaos of last summer, Villa’s spending hasn’t exactly slowed down.

They’ve taken on Orjan Nyland, the impressive John McGinn and Lovre Kalinic on permanent deals since Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens took control.

A deal has also been agreed to sign French right-back Frederic Guilbert, but he’ll only officially join in the summer.

Andre Moreira and £80,000-per-week Yannick Bolasie returned to their parent clubs in January but Villa still have five loan players draining their bank balance.

Despite the spectre of FFP, the rules by which Villa will be judged at the end of the season, the club have continued to spend.

CEO Christian Purslow - a man extremely well versed in the EFL’s regulations - remains unworried, insisting FFP ‘won’t be a problem’.

So, what has changed for Villa’s bosses to exude such confidence?

FFP expert Kieran Maguire, who covered Villa’s situation last summer, told us: “Christian Purslow seems very confident that they will be within the limits.

“I’ve heard stories on the grapevine that there might be HS2 income from the land that they occupy and that could bring in funds.

“Quite a few people are surprised that Villa haven’t sold more players and managed to keep Tammy Abraham because Chelsea will no doubt have secured a big loan fee.”

Unlike a lot of other clubs in the Championship, Villa have assets. Jack Grealish is now tied down to a five-year contract and his sale would fetch enough cash to ease any concerns.

Eight senior players also see their contracts expire at the end of the current campaign which will allow the club to shift some of their big earners.

“That will help hugely,” Maguire adds. “One of the big problems in the Championship after relegation is players on Premier League contracts are reluctant to move on because they won’t get that money anywhere else.

“With Villa now having had three seasons outside of the Premier League practically all of those players will have gone.

“They will have to demonstrate to the EFL that they have been cutting back in wages. John Terry’s salary etc, a few of those will make a big difference.

“The big problem they’ve got is that if they don’t get promoted they lose the parachute payments and their TV income drops to around £7m per season.

“It was around £41m, then £35m and this season it’s around £13-14m.

Villa bosses only have to look across the city to witness the damage done through not complying with FFP.

Birmingham City have been operating strictly on a ‘one in, one out’ basis in the transfer market since the summer after breaching the EFL’s sustainability and profitability rules and there are now concerns over a possible points deduction at St Andrew's.

Maguire continues: “It will give the EFL a range of options if they have breached the FFP limits. There’s nothing in play and there’s no proof that they’ve exceeded those limits.

“It could move up to a transfer ban, like Blues have had this season. Limited to a one in, one out. The ultimate sanction is a points deduction.”

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/transfer-sums-up-aston-villas-15797401

Why do the Birmingham Mail even pretend anymore? That article adds nothing to the story other than to rubbish Bedeau. A maths reacher being paraded as an FFP expert who then doesn't actually give anything other than speculation or state bleedin' obvious. 🙄

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Lets not laugh at them lot down the road too much.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6840541/Villa-Derby-Sheffield-Wednesday-clubs-face-sanctions.html

• Birmingham were hit with a nine-point deduction for breaches of financial rules 
  • The decision sets a precedent that could lead to problems for several other sides
  • Now Aston Villa, Derby County and Sheffield Wednesday face sanctions too
  • Villa could have to explain losses believed to total as much as £60million   

Aston Villa, Derby County and Sheffield Wednesday are among the clubs who now face sanctions for breaches of financial regulations after Birmingham City were hit with a nine-point deduction.

Clubs have submitted their three-yearly reports in recent weeks, which include two years of accounts under the new financial rules and a projection for the third year. 

Sources have told Sportsmail that Villa, Derby and Wednesday are prominent among those who could come under serious scrutiny

opened a Pandora's box and a lot of clubs are now worried,' said an official from one Championship club.

An EFL meeting at Nottingham Forest earlier this week descended into an 'inter-club war', with executives arguing over a change of financial regulations amid serious concerns some big players were now in trouble. One prominent club owner actually turned on Villa, Derby and Wednesday.

Clubs may argue they can allocate certain costs, but the EFL may not accept their explanation and Villa could have to explain losses believed to total as much as £60million.

When Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens took a controlling stake in Villa last year, they were warned that drastic action was needed to avoid issues with profit and sustainability regulations. 

One solution would have been to sell Jack Grealish, and it could now be that they have to take such an option even if a number of their players are out of contract this summer.

I'd sooner take the six point penalty and keep Grealish.

Six points and a reset isn't too bad.

If they follow through on it, we'll be one of about half of the Championship starting with a deduction, so we'd still be in with a decent shout.

• Like 2

it's all a load of bollocks really the big boys should be able to spend what they like as long as the club is not saddled with the debt.  The owners should sanction the spend from their own company and the club should make money from tickets and TV income and so on.  If the 2 are separated I don't see an issue.  If dodgy owners gamble the clubs income then fair enough.  

• Like 2

Â