The AVFC FFP thread

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just listened to that Claret and Blue podcast with the finance guy.

So sounds like there has been slight meltdown over not much.

Basically, if we want to make big purchase we probably have to sell, but we are nowhere near doomed 

He intimated that after all the deductions our losses could come down to the 80 - 90 mill mark ( allowable is 105 ).

This is all without our expected new deals and hopefully Champs League money etc Al kicking in.

As we figure, the choice will be ours, do we prioritise keeping our best players and building further? Or do we cash in on players while their values are high and build Villa 2.0 ?

Also said ( As out owners and Heck etc have said ) Villa have, and are moving away from selling club status,  and we still have the room to make sure things happen on our terms.

I think the BBC reported this in a very ill-informed and misleading fashion and that may have helped fuelled the meltdown. Last time I looked, they are still raising it as if we are the next Everton/Nottm Forest, so they are still slightly embarrassing themselves.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

So did more digging. Gerrard was on £5m per year (lets assume Emery is on the same amount). So Gerrard paid up cost us £10m in additional one off cost in 22/23 his staff too say adds another £2m. We paid Emery release clause of 5.25m and Monchi's was reported as £1.7m lets assume Emery staff too is another £1m. This is £20m of one off cost in under Wages/Other Costs in 22/23 that drops off. 

So we've £30m headroom for increased Wages/Amortisation this season to stay under the PSR limit if our revenue increases to 260m. We get an extra £10m from 3 extra place in PL and winning ECL is worth £18.8m (€22m). That would exquat to broadcast revenue of £181m (I put £175m). I put Matchday and Commercial income up £21m from 65m to 86m. 

I think the signings this season have added about £50m in wages / amortisation. So a £20m counter balance in drop in wages/amortisation for the players who left. I think Wesley had been impared off balance sheet so was worth "0" on our books hence letting him leave for no fee.

The crux of this is, when we finished our summer in 2023 the club have not financially planned for us to be having as good a season as now, this is bonus income. So we seem to be comfortable enough to spent £15m in Jan window as a result. I assume they know Sanson buy option probably triggered too. Zaniolo's won't be. etc.. 

This is my last post on it. I'm confident we don't need to sell a player before June to stay under PSR and then 24/25 season will have boost in income again with hopefully UCL and sponsorship boost with Adidas (and the boost for being in UCL sponsors pay in contracts) which mitigates situation. We do need to begin the normal turnover of players though. 

If there is anyone who thinks we may not comply this season then there can only be one or two I’ve not seen it on here.

the trouble with increased CL/finishing place revenue is we can’t rely on it and therefore can’t spend accordingly or we will get in trouble when we don’t have it.

its only a couple of teams that have been near guaranteed to get it each year and one of those didn’t finish in it last season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

its only a couple of teams that have been near guaranteed to get it each year and one of those didn’t finish in it last season.

I think the clearest indicator of how little you can assume that Champions league money is a guarantee is that Manchester United have only qualified for it for four of the last nine years.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, paul514 said:

If there is anyone who thinks we may not comply this season then there can only be one or two I’ve not seen it on here.

the trouble with increased CL/finishing place revenue is we can’t rely on it and therefore can’t spend accordingly or we will get in trouble when we don’t have it.

Don't think we even need to " spend accordingly ".

Most important thing is to keep/tie down our best players and increase the quality of the squad by one or two.

We don't need any sort of splurge imo.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, paul514 said:

i think it is closer to 100m.

Basically little FFP room left, but that is what most of us thought anyway.

TBH i forsee two events happening off the pitch to change that in the coming 17 months.

1 How are we with the limits once Jack's sale passes three years
2 Will we make a big sale?

The other stuff will sort itself out.

I think you missed out significant new sponsorship deals landing.  We're miles behind the big boys on this at the moment.  It will be interesting to see how quickly we can get out of our current **** front ofshirt deal with an even more **** company.  I would be surprised if it doesn't happen this summer.  But either way I think we'll also see quite a few partnerships / deals announced.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

One thing in the accounts that very much surprises me is the post balance sheet spend on players and staff at only £67.9m. That seems quite low.

I'm pretty sure Diaby was £35m + potential £15m in add-on's. People loved reporting the £50m total. Pau was reported at £31.5m. Tielemans was free. Then was 2 loans. 

The big issue for us will be not next year but the year after. A lot hinges on the success of this team and Emery staying here. If we can tie in some good commercial deals and be savvy in the market by getting frees and good young players to sell on if needed, then we will be fine. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, omariqy said:

The big issue for us will be not next year but the year after. A lot hinges on the success of this team and Emery staying here. If we can tie in some good commercial deals and be savvy in the market by getting frees and good young players to sell on if needed, then we will be fine. 

We are backed by 3 billionaire owners and indirectly by a corporation worth almost $300 billion.  There will be some huge opportunities to land some big commercial deals.  Also worth noting that none of our owners have had to use debt to finance their purchase and NSWE have already seen a huge (paper) increase in the value of their investment.  I am pretty sure we're going to be well backed and that we will see new deals land that significantly enhance our revenue position.  Player trading will be a choice / strategy not a necessity.

With the attention the team is getting and potential champions league place and progressing deep in a European competition landing huge sponsorship deals should be like shooting fish in a barrel. Let’s hope President Business delivers on this. 

• Thanks 1

Take the 6 point deduction, an keep the players. It ain't alot when your flying anyway. Means a whole lot more if your down the bottom half.

As has been said though, I doubt we will need to sell.

It looks to me that we can go with the squad we have again next season and only if we need to buy someone for over £20-£30m, will we have to sell one of our most prized assets to do so. That's assuming CL qualification, some more money coming into the club as a result and pruning the squad of players that UE considers that we can do without. If so, that is a much better position, than we had feared and we won't have to sell players at below their value (much to the disappointment of the clubs that FFP is there to protect from the likes of us).  

23 minutes ago, John said:

It looks to me that we can go with the squad we have again next season and only if we need to buy someone for over £20-£30m, will we have to sell one of our most prized assets to do so. That's assuming CL qualification, some more money coming into the club as a result and pruning the squad of players that UE considers that we can do without. If so, that is a much better position, than we had feared and we won't have to sell players at below their value (much to the disappointment of the clubs that FFP is there to protect from the likes of us).  

If we can remove big costs from the books this would work.

Digne, Coutinho, Sanson, Chambers, Dendoncker, Hause. We also have Traore gone. Maybe Olsen to go too. 

We really only need a CDM and another LB/LCB 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Digne, Coutinho, Sanson, Chambers, Dendoncker, Hause. We also have Traore gone. Maybe Olsen to go too. 

Yeah, we could pull back 820k p/w (ish), or 42.6m a year in wages just from these players.

even if we then bought 4 players in the summer (ie: 2 players on 125k p/w each, and 2 players on 50k p/w - for a total of £350k p/w), we are still saving 450k+ p/w and £20m+ a year.

Would help our overall FFP/salary cap position i would guess.

image.png.19b3f92abcd20aecb07bcb979a99c869.png

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yes, that is what I was thinking, I'm not sure UE would include Digne in the list of players that he could do without next season though and the same could be the case with Carlos below. The good thing is that it looks like the decision will be one for UE & Monchi to make.  

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Yeah, we could pull back 820k p/w (ish), or 42.6m a year in wages just from these players.

even if we then bought 4 players in the summer (ie: 2 players on 150k p/w each, and 2 players on 50k p/w - for a total of 400k p/w), we are still saving 400k+ p/w and £20m+ a year.

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Let's not forget (as you have pointed out in your previous posts on here) that some of the costs in our accounts were down to getting rid of Gerrard and his team and bringing in Emery and Monchi (I think estimated at over £17m all told).  We're very unlikely to be sacking off our manager in the next couple of seasons so that's already a considerable "saving".  Especially when you add in the increased value from the Adidas deal and potential / probable revenue increases elsewhere in areas where we've fallen a long way behind our rivals.  I think there's plenty of reasons to feel positive about the future both on and off the pitch.  Plenty of scope too for improvement and also a few areas where we need some pretty huge decisions in the not too distant future.  But overall it feels like we're being run by people who know what they are doing, have a proper, well-thought through plan and are confident in their ability to deliver against their (considerable) ambitions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

even if we then bought 4 players in the summer (ie: 2 players on 125k p/w each, and 2 players on 50k p/w - for a total of £350k p/w), we are still saving 450k+ p/w and £20m+ a year.

Would help our overall FFP/salary cap position i would guess.

Yes that seems logical. 

The only thing I’m not sure about - is insurance paying Mings and Buendia’s wages this season? If so, then we won’t save Lenglet and Zaniolo wages, they are just replaced by Mings and Buendia.  

I doubt we can get someone to take Coutinho who will pay all his wages, might have to pay half. 

Also Chambers had three offers in January and refused them all, so we might be stuck with him.

25 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yes that seems logical. 

The only thing I’m not sure about - is insurance paying Mings and Buendia’s wages this season? If so, then we won’t save Lenglet and Zaniolo wages, they are just replaced by Mings and Buendia.  

I doubt we can get someone to take Coutinho who will pay all his wages, might have to pay half. 

Also Chambers had three offers in January and refused them all, so we might be stuck with him.

Yes

Â