The AVFC FFP thread

I think the key is that what we have (Unai) is what the other clubs are missing. Respect to Howe but he’s got a ceiling and Palace, Forest don’t seem to understand the manager is the critical part of maintaining sustainability. 

I believe that’s why NWSE pulled the trigger fast with Gerrard. They’re no Xia idiots and knew the upward trajectory had to continue immediately given the revenue and spend. I think that’s also why Deano got the sack and no time to turn it around. 

If we can make UCL for 3-4 years in a row, the combination of revenue, exposure, and commercial increases can make us competitive. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Hause, Chambers, Olsen, Dendoncker, Coutinho, Digne, Sanson. I think we'll struggle to sell a lot of these, so maybe more loans with us paying part of their salary.

Lenglet and Zaniolo will automatically be gone. 

Its for 22/23 so Lenglet/Zaniolo wont count on them figures. Am guessing managerial change with the clearing in the woods bringing in multiple coaches and football brains didnt help

3 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

If we can make UCL for 3-4 years in a row, the combination of revenue, exposure, and commercial increases can make us competitive. 

Yep, realistically we need CL 3 years in a row and at least on one occasion need to make it to the knockouts.  That will then start to build some global recognition of Aston Villa which will then bring in the large sponsorship deals.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Its for 22/23 so Lenglet/Zaniolo wont count on them figures. Am guessing managerial change with the clearing in the woods bringing in multiple coaches and football brains didnt help

Oh yes sorry, i meant between this current season 23/24 and next season 24/25.

As posted on another site we have lost £156 million over the last 3 years.  £141million is allowed losses which includes £56 million for Covid, £45 million for youth development, £10 million for the Wonens team and £30 million infrastructure.  There for in FFP terms we have losses of £15 million over the last 3 years.  

1 hour ago, OhioVilla said:

Just off the top of my head, Digne and Coutinho should be among the tops. Is there another deadwood player I'm forgetting? (Not saying Digne is deadwood, but for a backup, his wages are unsustainable.)

Digne isn't a backup, he's our best left back based on this season and a key reason we are challenging the top 4 this season. Moreno has gone way off form to be honest. 

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

I think the key is that what we have (Unai) is what the other clubs are missing. Respect to Howe but he’s got a ceiling and Palace, Forest don’t seem to understand the manager is the critical part of maintaining sustainability. 

I believe that’s why NWSE pulled the trigger fast with Gerrard. They’re no Xia idiots and knew the upward trajectory had to continue immediately given the revenue and spend. I think that’s also why Deano got the sack and no time to turn it around. 

English teams that have qualified for the UCL in each of the last 4 seasons...Manchester City.

A very tough ask for us.

1 minute ago, cheltenham_villa said:

English teams that have qualified for the UCL in each of the last 4 seasons...Manchester City.

A very tough ask for us.

True - but UCL/Europa - some combination thereof.

I think what's quite clear is that we need to place higher, place in Europe, increase our commercial revenue (again mind boggling how some Championship clubs have higher kit sales than us!), and a combination of high cost performers but also developing players so that we don't have the Coutinho's, Dendoncker's of the world killing our wage bill.

34 minutes ago, AVFCGB said:

As posted on another site we have lost £156 million over the last 3 years.  £141million is allowed losses which includes £56 million for Covid, £45 million for youth development, £10 million for the Wonens team and £30 million infrastructure.  There for in FFP terms we have losses of £15 million over the last 3 years.  

That does not seem right at all. 

41 minutes ago, AVFCGB said:

Ok, this sounds a lot less scary than the article on the BBC saying we've lost £116m in a year when we can only lose £105m in 3 years...

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Yep, realistically we need CL 3 years in a row and at least on one occasion need to make it to the knockouts.  That will then start to build some global recognition of Aston Villa which will then bring in the large sponsorship deals.

I hope very much the NSWE business plan isn’t expecting us to achieve CL football for the next 3-4 years continuously. There are about 8 clubs with a realistic chance and we can’t guarantee it will be us every year. We need to be able to build sustainably or another Xia-style crash is on the cards.

19 minutes ago, omariqy said:

That does not seem right at all. 

Convenient that the BBC don’t report allowable losses in that figure?  Those figures are about right based against allowable losses.  Chances of a points deduction are slim and none!  Slim has left town!!!

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

It's not hunky dory the year after when you need to sell another £100m pound player to fund that year's amortisation costs of the 5 players you bought the previous year though is it? 

It’s a 90 odd million profit the players brought increase amortisation by 20m a year. So yea hunky dory 

17 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I hope very much the NSWE business plan isn’t expecting us to achieve CL football for the next 3-4 years continuously. There are about 8 clubs with a realistic chance and we can’t guarantee it will be us every year. We need to be able to build sustainably or another Xia-style crash is on the cards.

Well and that's where player sales come in.

I think for as much guff as we all say about keeping our best players - realistically - we're going to need a big sale every few years in the case that we don't have CL football for 3-4 continuous years.

I think that's different than the Brighton/Brentford method of selling their best players and then only picking up prospects. That's how you get the talent gap that those clubs are at now.

But in comparison, making a big sale every 1-3 years with continued investment can keep us in line with FPP.

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

It’s a 90 odd million profit the players brought increase amortisation by 20m a year. So yea hunky dory 

Increase amortisation by £20m each per year or total?

As in, are you talking about buying 5 x £20m players or 5 x £100m players after selling one for £100m?

Just now, fightoffyour said:

Increase amortisation by £20m each per year or total?

As in, are you talking about buying 5 x £20m players or 5 x £100m players after selling one for £100m?

Read the post 

12 minutes ago, AVFCGB said:

Convenient that the BBC don’t report allowable losses in that figure?  Those figures are about right based against allowable losses.  Chances of a points deduction are slim and none!  Slim has left town!!!

We are allowed to lose £105m over 3 years. From what’s been said on here it seems like we are in and around the £90m figure. So bit of headroom still. 

1 hour ago, AVFCGB said:

These are very incorrect numbers. 

Â