The AVFC FFP thread

We have it from a couple of sources that Sanson was bought the winter window that year in expectation Man City would activate their option on Luiz that summer. Not sure why you stopped reading at that point. 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

I’m pretty relaxed about selling either Luiz or Ramsey to be honest. Both very good players but both can be replaced. Ramsey has barely featured all season and has been poor in a few of the matches he has and whilst Dougie is class, there are a plethora of top class central midfielders out there that I’m sure you could bring in to take his spot. I can’t get away from the idea that Rogers was brought in, in the knowledge Ramsey might be sold. If we are tight on FFP, which I think we are, we wouldn’t have spent that money in Jan unless it was proactive thinking knowing what needed to be done in the summer. 

Id rather not sell either but I’d be comfortable if we did. 

• Like 4

I'd rather not sell either but if you had a gun to my head I would sell Ramsey simply for the reason we have done fine this season and he has been out for most of it.

I also suspect Rogers came in as his deputy. 

If Kamara wasn't injured he might have been the one to go given he was a free transfer and so is on huge wages.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I'd rather not sell either but if you had a gun to my head I would sell Ramsey simply for the reason we have done fine this season and he has been out for most of it.

If Kamara wasn't injured he might have been the one to go given he was a free transfer and so is on huge wages.

Yep, probably agree. The sale of Ramsey, qualifying for the champions league and finishing 5th, you’d have to think that would seriously help with FFP. And that’s without the amount of trimming to the squad we’re likely to see in the Summer.

The idea that Newcastle would sign Ramsey is a bit daft too. They’re on about selling Guimaraes and Isak themselves to comply. Why they'd then go and buy a left sided attacker when they have Gordon and Barnes is just stupid as they’d need to replace the players they've sold. 

I don’t agree with the way PSR works and I certainly don’t agree with this new luxury tax idea either. Ultimately, whatever is voted in will be with a view to avoid punishing Manchester City. The whole thing stinks, but whatever. 

6 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Yep, probably agree. The sale of Ramsey, qualifying for the champions league and finishing 5th, you’d have to think that would seriously help with FFP. And that’s without the amount of trimming to the squad we’re likely to see in the Summer.

The idea that Newcastle would sign Ramsey is a bit daft too. They’re on about selling Guimaraes and Isak themselves to comply. Why they'd then go and buy a left sided attacker when they have Gordon and Barnes is just stupid as they’d need to replace the players they've sold. 

I don’t agree with the way PSR works and I certainly don’t agree with this new luxury tax idea either. Ultimately, whatever is voted in will be with a view to avoid punishing Manchester City. The whole thing stinks, but whatever. 

• Like 1

We'd be better off just spending money like idiots, winning everything in sight, getting a top lawyer on board who can make sure the FFP charges are so complicated to prove that it'll take years - if at all - to prove. 

Surprised no club has gone down this route to be honest... 

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If these rules don't change soon you could easily imagine a situation where. for example, we buy Guimaraes for £80m and they buy Luiz for £80m to help us both with FFP.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

If these rules don't change soon you could easily imagine a situation where. for example, we buy Guimaraes for £80m and they buy Luiz for £80m to help us both with FFP.

You mean like barca and juve did with Arthur and Pjanic 

Or seemingly half of Europe has done with morata 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The injuries to Kamara, Mings and Buendia are also frustrating because they reduce options for players to sell on if we need to. We’re kind of restricted to two or three now.

I just don't think we're in a £50m PSR hole.  I don't think the club is run that badly.  Look at the players we sold last year - after the £120m loss - all youth team and the two main ones raised £30m ish?

Also - I expect our high wage/turnover ratio is partly due to paying off Stevie G and his lot and bringing in the new management team.

I think this is speculation rather than informed knowledge on this occasion.

Edited by andycv

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:
12 hours ago, jayEm said:

The line 'fifty million and that's essentially what Villa are needing by June 30th to comply with PSR regulations' concerns me -- having to raise funds that urgently seems like a very dangerous position to be in?

Expand  

Yes, agree. Obviously puts us in a position where clubs can potentially low-ball offers and see if we cave. That being said though, the way he words that bit about Ramsey's fee ('it would be around fifty million') made me wonder a bit if there has been some concrete discussion with interested parties. Maybe not, but found it interesting that he chose to venture a guess around a specific number. 

I don’t think we are in that position where we have to sell by the 30th June to be compliant.  We wouldn’t have brought Rogers in January if it meant a few months later we’d be in the position detailed above.

• Like 1

As we stand, IF we are not on TV the rest of the season (and I cannot see that happening, Liverpool at home looks nailed on, and should CL go down to us or spurs, I dare say Brighton will be as well which if both are adds a further £2.4m facility fee to the totals below), and should we win the europa cofnerence, looking at the various prize and tv money potentially, then our total prize money over the course of the season is-

4th - £173,766,596m

5th - £172,066,638m

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

then loan them back to each other

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

As we stand, IF we are not on TV the rest of the season (and I cannot see that happening, Liverpool at home looks nailed on, and should CL go down to us or spurs, I dare say Brighton will be as well which if both are adds a further £2.4m facility fee to the totals below), and should we win the europa cofnerence, looking at the various prize and tv money potentially, then our total prize money over the course of the season is-

4th - £173,766,596m

5th - £172,066,638m

How does that compare to TV & prize money we got last season 22/23 when we finished 7th?

13 hours ago, thabucks said:

That’s why clubs will pas through the luxury tax or whatever shit abbreviation they’ll use then change. Better to pay a fine and keep our star players than sell someone we don’t really want to. That said we do need to get better at maximise our sales at the right time to reinvest as well as building our  commercially income.

Selling Ramsey who hasn’t been fit for most of this season to reinvest in say Nico Williams as an example could be considered good business and good for the bottom line however unpalatable that is for some. We sell Ramsey for £50mill buy Williams for £50mill that’s a book profit of £40 mill now football is run by accountants. 

It'll really inflate prices as clubs will want more to buffer any potential fine they receive themselves.

14 minutes ago, ender4 said:

How does that compare to TV & prize money we got last season 22/23 when we finished 7th?

£152,556,000 last season if I've read the accounts correctly.

4 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

£152,556,000 last season if I've read the accounts correctly.

So £20m more just from finishing 2-3 places higher and being shown on TV a few more times? Nice.

Or did the TV deal change between last season and this season? I think it was the same for both seasons though.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think we are in that position where we have to sell by the 30th June to be compliant.  We wouldn’t have brought Rogers in January if it meant a few months later we’d be in the position detailed above.

I don't understand why we wouldn't?  If we have a gap of, say, £50m to fill and have a sale of Ramsey lined up for £50m, why wouldn't we bring in a replacement in the winter window to get him settled more readily for the start of the next season?  His cost will be at worst something like £3m + wages.  It's "nothing".

• Like 2

Â