Iceland v England/Denmark v England

andykeenan

I'd say a 3-4-3 suits the personnel he has at his disposal and gives a better opportunity for Jack Grealish if he does start or come on for some minutes. He'll have support from the wingback allowing him to cut inside and create havoc. If Southgate, as he has stated, sees him as wide left sided forward he'll have less chance of making an appearance in a 3-5-2 system.

The weakest area England have is in central midfield and if England play the way that Wolves use the system, the midfielders will sit allowing the wingbacks to bomb forward to support the front 3.

I know that Southgate isn't popular on here but what side/formation would you all be looking to pick?  I'd say that Grealish would excel in an advanced midfield role as a number 10 behind 2 strikers but wouldn't that require Smith to do it at club level before his national boss would try it? 

Edited by Baldricks Cunning Plan

Sure.

because every player in that team players 3-4-3 for their club, oh and Tripper is a left back, Dier is the best centre back in the squad.

Oh and Philips is experienced too, 324 caps so far.

Yep, it all makes so much sense.

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Southgate talking about going three at the back this evening.

I'd guess that means wing backs and the opportunity to change the shape - I wonder if that again means Jack out in the cold.

You can see it now, Southgate will claim Jack is a wide player and couldn’t fit in with the new system... 

part of me reckons Southgate’s first question to Greenwood and Foden was “did Grealish put you up to this?” 

no doubt jacks presence in the squad has affected the other players. 

3 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

The predicted team for tonight's game-

Pickford, Gomez, Coady, Dier; Trent AA, Rice, Phillips, Trippier; Sterling, Kane, Sancho.

So, that's 3-4-3 with nothing but defensive midfielders, hoping that the front three turn up. Waistcoat has lost the plot.

No Jack again. *sigh*

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Outside of Grealish, the big question should surely be why the **** is Jordan Pickford still starting?

I agree. I'm far an expert on judging keepers, but from what I saw of him last season, I think he's lucky to even be in the squad.

20 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I agree. I'm far an expert on judging keepers, but from what I saw of him last season, I think he's lucky to even be in the squad.

If there weren't any other good keepers then you could forgive him.

But Henderson and Pope both had fantastic seasons

• Like 1

Pickford, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Coady, Dier, Trippier, Phillips, Rice, Sterling, Sancho, Kane.

Subs: Pope, Mings, Keane, Maitland-Niles, Ward-Prowse, Grealish, Mount, Abraham, Ings, Henderson.

In many ways I feel like Southgate has painted himself in to a corner, and is being forced to play a formation he's not comfortable in due to the players available to him. If only he'd had the foresight to include another 4 or 5 centrebacks, we wouldn't need to include a midfield or strikers at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â