Iceland v England/Denmark v England

andykeenan

Mount will start for “experience” having played for England before. I’m sure Mount made his debut when at Derby?

Southgate won’t choose Grealish because he has little experience based on the face Southgate refused to pick him to get that experience.

• Like 1

Southgate is rightly getting some flack for the way he's handling things. Add this to the Maguire stuff and the fact that a lot of journos are finding his approach towards Grealish odd and starting to pile up a bit.

Gareth Southgate gets balance wrong by defending Foden and Greenwood

The England manager’s softer approach left him apparantly unwilling to criticise two players who had been sent home

When Southgate justified the decision to call up Harry Maguire last month as the defender’s trial in Greece for aggravated assault and attempted bribery was ongoing, he leant on the principle of innocent until proven guilty. He was also keen to show his support to a key player at a difficult time. The situation changed sharply when the court in Syros found Maguire guilty of the charges, albeit pending a retrial with Maguire strenuously denying wrongdoing, and Southgate moved to stand him down.

The difference with Foden and Greenwood is they are guilty of the indiscretion, they have been expelled from the squad and yet Southgate appeared reluctant to criticise them. He even seemed to suggest the decision to send them home was effectively out of his hands; it was imposed on him by the protocols and their having been compromised rather than any anger he might have felt at being let down by the players or even appalled by their behaviour.

Foden and Greenwood are 20 and 18, respectively, but their youth does not excuse them. They know the rules. They are not difficult to understand or follow.

“I’m very conscious that these two boys are going to walk into something that’s going to be very intense and very difficult for them or their age to deal with,” Southgate said. “So, whether people like it or not, I’ve got to try and support them through that and I’ve got to try and not add to how difficult their situation is going to be.” The strongest Southgate went was to call them naive. He said on more than one occasion that he needed to establish the full facts but surely he had what he needed? “I have obviously got to try and speak with them later in the appropriate way,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/sep/08/gareth-southgate-phil-foden-mason-greenwood-england

Edited by sne
Typo

I love the fact that Southgate thinks he needs to look after and teach these spoilt teenage multimillionaires.

International managers job is not to do that.

It's to select best players to play 2 games once every 3 months and make sure the players he selects are up to the job of representing their country.

They need looking after by Pep and Ole, because they are the employers and represent them on daily basis. Not Southgate who gets to spend a week with them.

I'm nervous for Jack tonight, would love him to start and show everyone he's the creative spark we missed against Iceland but on the other hand I don't want him to get injured. Maybe best case scenario is he comes on for 30 minutes and scores or sets one up? 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Southgate vows to support Foden and Greenwood. What a hypocritical clearing in the woods

Both clubs were a lot harsher in the wording on the players at least 

Look at his handling of Stirling in comparison 

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I love the fact that Southgate thinks he needs to look after and teach these spoilt teenage multimillionaires.

I saw one of the big papers yesterday suggesting that man city / utd will have to send over a private jet to pick them up from Iceland...**** that! 

your problem pal and if you're not in training tomorrow the fine will be coming out

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I saw one of the big papers yesterday suggesting that man city / utd will have to send over a private jet to pick them up from Iceland...**** that! 

your problem pal and if you're not in training tomorrow the fine will be coming out

They have to travel back separately too, so can’t even share the flight.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Southgate talking about going three at the back this evening.

I'd guess that means wing backs and the opportunity to change the shape - I wonder if that again means Jack out in the cold.

I think he could well do this but, it would make him even sillier. He's talked up all the attacking wide talent, so to then do away with that position by going three centre backs would suggest he's losing it entirely! 

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I think he could well do this but, it would make him even sillier. He's talked up all the attacking wide talent, so to then do away with that position by going three centre backs would suggest he's losing it entirely! 

But he played a back three at the WC and has always said he could try it again, so it’s the perfect get out of jail card for not playing Jack. 
It won’t matter that the left backs aren’t in the squad anyway

Edited by mikeyp102

The predicted team for tonight's game-

Pickford, Gomez, Coady, Dier; Trent AA, Rice, Phillips, Trippier; Sterling, Kane, Sancho.

So, that's 3-4-3 with nothing but defensive midfielders, hoping that the front three turn up. Waistcoat has lost the plot.

29 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

The predicted team for tonight's game-

Pickford, Gomez, Coady, Dier; Trent AA, Rice, Phillips, Trippier; Sterling, Kane, Sancho.

So, that's 3-4-3 with nothing but defensive midfielders, hoping that the front three turn up. Waistcoat has lost the plot.

That is an awful team if correct

Â