Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Watkins is one of the players that doesn’t want to be here.

His body language is negative, he doesn’t press the same way, always moaning at team mates and he doesn’t celebrate when he scores.

It’s a shame because when he first joined he was an honest player. I would start Ings ahead of him.

Thats how i see it. I pwrsonally think he isnt that good either. Has been found out this year.

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Yes but the problem this season doesn't just appear to be a lack of ability - his whole demeanor is off.

That i agree with. But for me this version of ollie watkins he doesnt look premier league quality.

Edited by Demitri_C

Watkins again with a goal given but then ruled out for being fractionally offside.

For me though the problem is that this can only happen so many times before you're just not quite good enough at positioning/timing your run.

He was a fraction away from stabbing in Dignes volleyed cross against Leeds the other night, and was an inch away from scoring an equaliser today. Thats potentially 4 points extra for villa if both of those go in. It's fine margins though either way and top strikers are generally on the right side of the margins. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Watkins again with a goal given but then ruled out for being fractionally offside.

For me though the problem is that this can only happen so many times before you're just not quite good enough at positioning/timing your run.

He was a fraction away from stabbing in Dignes volleyed cross against Leeds the other night, and was an inch away from scoring an equaliser today. Thats potentially 4 points extra for villa if both of those go in. It's fine margins though either way and top strikers are generally on the right side of the margins. 

His goal was legit and was only ruled out due to VAR corruption. Him not being a fraction of a second earlier (to score a goal that VAR can't rule out no matter how many **** lines they draw) isn't the issue, it's his all round play.

• Like 1

If only Ings was given as much game time as Watkins then we could probably put the "who's better" debate to bed. I mean, for me.....Ings is a proven premier league scorer and we now have the creativity with Coutinho and Buendia so i doubt if Watkins' holding the ball up, waiting for others would be missed ?

I agree though; he just doesn't seem arsed and surely the manager can see that better than us humble fans ?

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

If only Ings was given as much game time as Watkins then we could probably put the "who's better" debate to bed. I mean, for me.....Ings is a proven premier league scorer and we now have the creativity with Coutinho and Buendia so i doubt if Watkins' holding the ball up, waiting for others would be missed ?

I agree though; he just doesn't seem arsed and surely the manager can see that better than us humble fans ?

No no no, haven’t you heard, Watkins isn’t playing well because we brought Ings into the club and even when Watkins plays alone upfront it’s still because of Ings he plays poor probably because Ings has knocked his confidence.

In fact the reason we lost today was that we brought Ings into the club, it knocked every bodies confidence.  We left Europe through Brexit because of Ings…what else is Ings fault?  We can’t play Ings, what about poor Ollies confidence! 😉

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No no no, haven’t you heard, Watkins isn’t playing well because we brought Ings into the club and even when Watkins plays alone upfront it’s still because of Ings he plays poor probably because Ings has knocked his confidence.

In fact the reason we lost today was that we brought Ings into the club, it knocked every bodies confidence.  We left Europe through Brexit because of Ings…what else is Ings fault?  We can’t play Ings, what about poor Ollies confidence! 😉

It’s probably Ings keeping him awake at night and not his baby to .

• Haha 3

Last season one of his most impressive traits was his hold up play. That has completely vanished this season...

They way we keep lumping it up at him we might as well bring back big Keinan... (I'm being mostly sarcastic and very, very slightly half-serious)

Edited by WooJung
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

He had no problem doing that at Brentford?

I really don't know what's happened to him this season. There must be something behind the scenes.

Maybe he wants to go back to London. Just a thought. Something definitely off. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Risso said:

Like Smith, he's seemingly not able to exist without Grealish. Last year of his 14 goals, 11 were scored when Grealish was playing, 3 were when he wasn't. 

I think thats a bit of an excuse for Ollie, his work rate, movement and attitude was always good even when Grealish was out. They have all dropped this season

2 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Anyone else think he might not be getting proper rest/sleeping patterns disturbed with having a five month old to look after?

Unlikely I'd have thought. If it was causing him problems to the extent that it's the reason his form has dropped a cliff, they're more than rich enough to do something about it. I imagine he lives in a big enough house that he could sleep in a spare room away from any noise, and if needed they could hire as many full time nannies as required.

I’m confused by folks who think he was amazing last season. He’s been worse this season for sure but its a marginal deterioration from an all round average player. He’s always been crap at hold up play, he’s always had a habit of running down blind alleys, he’s always been a poor finisher- these traits were all there last season. The difference is he had a player in grealish who created 10 chances a game for him 

• Like 3

Â