Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

If we take our “Southgate hates him” hat off, does anyone think he is playing his way into a position to be a genuine option off the bench for England in the Euros? Not just an understudy in case Kane gets injured.

4 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

If we take our “Southgate hates him” hat off, does anyone think he is playing his way into a position to be a genuine option off the bench for England in the Euros? Not just an understudy in case Kane gets injured.

He'll be the second choice striker behind Kane. Whether Southgate actually brings him on much will be debatable.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Woody1000 said:

They were saying just that on MOTD last night. He's a genuine option as he offers something different to Kane. A viable 65min option if we're struggling.

I was discussing with the wife yesterday how much he's genuinely worth in the current market. 2nd highest scorer, top at assists and contributes more than any other player. You've got to be looking at well north of £100m. Great as not many can afford that without risking FFP/PSR rule breaks.

He was a joy to watch yesterday. That dummy to skin his marker in the first half was filthy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Watkins simply has to go to the Euros and should be first choice to come on in games but that’s all down to Southgate… 

• Thanks 2

His second goal was genuinely world class. Beautiful touch with his left foot and a fabulous finish with his right. 

He's got to be in the England squad for the Euros, he cannot be left out. I actually think he's so hot at the moment he should start, but he won't because of Kane. Hopefully he'll be getting off the bench in most games though and have an impact at the tournament. 

Watkins is a great back up option to Kane, we need someone who can stretch tiring defences in the knockout stages of tournaments. The semi against Croatia and final against Italy were both screaming out for this. Kane makes it easy for the better teams with him constantly dropping deep to receive the ball. His record in big games at tournaments outside of penalties isn’t great! 

Edited by WHY
  • Like 1

He is so, so lucky he has a manager like Emery to have transformed him like this. He's gone from a frustrating player to one of the best strikers in the world in the space of a year. Our manager is a total genius. 

• Like 1

What makes Harry Kane a world class striker is he is such a lovely clean striker of the ball. Rarely scuffs his shots. 

Ollie has added this to his game. I didn’t even think it was something you could learn. Felt like you’ve either got it or you haven’t. Both feet and head. If he stays at this level he could be Englands best striker as he is quicker and more mobile than Kane. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NorthEastVillan said:

They were saying just that on MOTD last night. He's a genuine option as he offers something different to Kane. A viable 65min option if we're struggling.

I was discussing with the wife yesterday how much he's genuinely worth in the current market. 2nd highest scorer, top at assists and contributes more than any other player. You've got to be looking at well north of £100m. Great as not many can afford that without risking FFP/PSR rule breaks.

He was a joy to watch yesterday. That dummy to skin his marker in the first half was filthy!

There's masses more to him than that too. Rarely injured, takes great care of himself so has another 5 years at the top. Doing it in the Premier league so no question marks in that regard, creative too, very settled personal life etc. He's an absolute dream signing. It has to be over £100mil for me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Watkins simply has to go to the Euros and should be first choice to come on in games but that’s all down to Southgate… 

I dont understand why he wouldn't play. He is the top assister and second top goal scorer in the best league in the world? 

12 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I dont understand why he wouldn't play. He is the top assister and second top goal scorer in the best league in the world? 

The reason why not?

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d75vl3g51ez17bw8lht2

recency bias mate! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

The reason why not?

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d75vl3g51ez17bw8lht2

recency bias mate! 

Yep I agree, I still think Southgate may favour Toney over Watkins.  It’s so obvious that Watkins should be second choice behind Kane but I’m not sure Southgate sees it that way.  I guess we’ll see.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Starting to rival Dwight Yorke for me. 

Has Ollie applied for the Villa Manager’s job then? 😉

• Haha 1

We have one of the most talked about strikers in the best league in the world and we don't make enough noise about him .... it's simple .... Olly, Olly, Olly, oi, oi, oi !!!!!!

Oggy, Oggy, Oggy, oi, oi, oi used to be a regular chant at all sort of occasions and originated from the King of all comfort foods, the Cornish Pasty. Imagine how much noise could be generated by thousands of voices at Villa Park belting out this simplest of all chants.

Ollie deserves it!

1 hour ago, NorthEastVillan said:

Totally sold him the guys soul teleported to another dimension 😆  was my favourite moment of the game.

Â