Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Who is more complete? Haaland is better striker naturally but he is not a complete striker, his work rate is miles below Ollies. Nunez is a worse finisher than Ollie

It’s like comparing apples and pears there are so many more things to consider.

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Who is more complete? Haaland is better striker naturally but he is not a complete striker, his work rate is miles below Ollies. Nunez is a worse finisher than Ollie

Agreed. 

Watkins is inconsistent, but not to the degree that it makes him bad. And he can do everything, so even if a part of his game is having a bad day, the rest of it will usually make up for it. Haaland has a bad day finishing and he brings you nothing.. 

Watkins work rate is always exceptional, best in the league.

He's fast, strong, and robust. He can run with the ball at speed. He produces goals for others regularly.

His hold up play is generally good. His vision is generally good.

His finishing is either atrocious (see first shot yesterday) or exceptional (see goal yesterday), but overall can be considered generally good.

His first touch is also either exceptional (see first shot yesterday) or not great (can't think of a specific example but it does occasionally bounce off him beyond his reach). Again, this can be considered generally good.

He's OK in the air,  but probably one area he could clearly improve on.

He is, I would say, the most complete striker I've seen at Villa.

Edited by MrBlack

I think it's very difficult with football fans with a very basic knowledge of fooball to properly analyze a performance for a striker like Watkins.

It's mostly score= Good performance

Not score= Bad performance

Reality is it is so many factors to consider with a player like Watkins, many sides of his game that will go unnoticed but are crucial to the way we play. Watkins is not a box striker like a Nistelrooy. Watkins offer so many different things to a team. 

You would not even believe how detailed his analysis would be with a manager like Emery.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1

Ollie is great, he’s a good player and a great ambassador for the club, for me it’s just those moments when you think he’s going to score this and fluffs it, then it’s those less than 50-50’s he scores. He keeps improving and hopefully he will continue to improve and take those chances a little better.

Who is more complete?  The modern striker has to do more than score goals. He must press, cover the width of the pitch, hold up play, assist and score goals. Watkins does that better than any other PL striker. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Erm no he’s not that’s hilarious 

23 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

It’s like comparing apples and pears there are so many more things to consider.

Surely it would be so easy to name, lets go for, 3 more complete strikers in the Premier League since "erm, no he's not that's hilarious".  No?

51 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Erm no he’s not that’s hilarious 

just to add if he was anywhere near that champions league clubs would be falling over themselves to sign him.

Please notify me who is more complete since Kane left. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Ollie is great, he’s a good player and a great ambassador for the club, for me it’s just those moments when you think he’s going to score this and fluffs it, then it’s those less than 50-50’s he scores. He keeps improving and hopefully he will continue to improve and take those chances a little better.

yesterday was classic Ollie. Missed the easy chance that he created, scores a classic Ollie goal by showing pace, skill and a great finish on his wrong foot.

38 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Agreed. 

Watkins is inconsistent, but not to the degree that it makes him bad. And he can do everything, so even if a part of his game is having a bad day, the rest of it will usually make up for it. Haaland has a bad day finishing and he brings you nothing.. 

He's fast, strong, and robust. He can run with the ball at speed. He produces goals for others regularly.

His finishing is either atrocious (see first shot yesterday) or exceptional (see goal yesterday), but overall can be considered generally good.

His first touch is also either exceptional (see first shot yesterday) or not great (can't think of a specific example but it does occasionally bounce off him beyond his reach). Again, this can be considered generally good.

They're pro footballers, they can all take an 'exceptional' first touch from time to time, but I'd never explain Ollie's first touch using that word.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

yesterday was classic Ollie. Missed the easy chance that he created, scores a classic Ollie goal by showing pace, skill and a great finish on his wrong foot.

That skill was brilliant but he needs to do that more often. Quite often his attempts to beat a man with skill are poor. He's improving at it though.

Ollie is a top player.

They used to make reference to how many misses Andy Cole made at Old Trafford, despite forming a tremendous goal scoring partnership with Dwight Yorke....all goal scorers miss chances.

That 3rd goal on Sunday from Ollie.... was up there with Geoff Hursts goal in the world cup, in terms of execution....sure different outcome in terms of result.....but the actual technique was similar.

I think Ollie is underrated at times by sections of the Fan base, and appraised more on his misses, than his hits.

Any prolific striker, with a clinical finish, would have been proud of that 3rd goal.....Harry/ Erling  would have loved it.

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Agreed. 

Possibly so....Bearing in mind the game is so fast now, compared to yesteryear......and I still don't think we have seen the best of him yet.

His injury record alone, for a front man, is impressive....he looks like a footballer, built like a footballer, fine specimen of a man....thoroughbred.

Put him up for Sale....and see the outside reaction.

You would sell him the same day.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Maybe he owes the bloke who changed him from a winger under Dean to a striker a bit of gratitude.Really pleased for him though as he’s proving some of the doubters wrong yet again a genuine decent bloke.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Ollie is a top player.

They used to make reference to how many misses Andy Cole made at Old Trafford, despite forming a tremendous goal scoring partnership with Dwight Yorke....all goal scorers miss chances.

That 3rd goal on Sunday from Ollie.... was up there with Geoff Hursts goal in the world cup, in terms of execution....sure different outcome in terms of result.....but the actual technique was similar.

I think Ollie is underrated at times by sections of the Fan base, and appraised more on his misses, than his hits.

Any prolific striker, with a clinical finish, would have been proud of that 3rd goal.....Harry/ Erling  would have loved it.

watching the replays back his stepover even fooled Diaby, you can see him in the background reacting to it 🤣

• Haha 1

That goal too is a sign of confidence - what goes all too missing for him. What's often been missing from Ollie in these situations is his lack of composure from what he practices. Often he goes through and he's caught between what he wants to do and then picks his choice too late or rushes it.

From the second he sprints on the ball, he never looks up at either the opponent, keeper or for Diaby. He's zeroed in and executes it brilliantly.

He's been noted as a good trainer but the confidence is what translates that onto the pitch. That's the difference between him and Kane, also reputably a good trainer. Kane already knows what he wants to do before he even touches the ball. Watkins still sometimes has to think before striking. Hopefully Ollie's confidence remains high and he trusts his instincts instead of trying to decide in the moment what to do.

3 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Maybe he owes the bloke who changed him from a winger under Dean to a striker a bit of gratitude.Really pleased for him though as he’s proving some of the doubters wrong yet again a genuine decent bloke.

Its a great interview, you can see the respect they both have for each other, Ollie looked for help from Smith when asked a difficult question. He also spoke about missing chances affecting his game and how's he's overcome that problem. 

It's a privilege to have Ollie at our club, he's a very special player and seems to be a great man as well. UTV.

Edited by tinker

Â