Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

If Watkins is so poor, then why are we all so complementary of Unai Emery? He keeps picking Watkins and rates him highly, what does that say about the gaffer? 

He has one blindspot

;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Apart from it's not ponderous, it's controlled and designed to pull them out from being set 😉

Watkins problem is that he's often up against 2 CBs who have no interest in it, the likes of Diaby benefit hugely from it and the fact that Watkins occupies the CBs, then once that trap is sprung they should be looking to feed it in to watkins

It'll come, villa fans seemingly have an unrealistic expectation as to what our striker will be, who else is out there etc and I'm not sure why as we've hardly been spoiled by strikers in the past

Said before Liverpool have their own version of Watkins upfront, he cost £82m, this perfect guaranteed goalscorer that people pine for doesnt exist, Watkins is just about good enough (and to pre empt the "unai won't settle for good enough" guff, unai will know exactly what the striker market is right now)

It absolutely is ponderous though. We draw the defence across and then when we switch play it takes about a minute. 2 crisp passes and we'd have a 2 on one on the other side of the pitch. Our tempo is so low in a lot of ways. When you are very deep it works. As you've got the space to draw them onto you and then play a couple of passes not particularly quickly and you still have an advantage. But at the half way line we are squandering our advantage but taking 10 seconds every time to capitalise on it. 

• Like 2

You can see the difference in quality between Watkins and Diaby in today's game. Watkins is full of running and effort, but his first touch is usually terrible and his decision making quite suspect. He goes on far too many runs of games when he doesn't look like scoring. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He's a 1 in 3 striker for us, and 1 in 2 under Emery. I'm pretty happy with that yes, given what else he offers.

Not answering my question.

Let's try again... he's one in 12. On course for 3.2 goals for the season (or thereabouts). Content with that?

19 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Not answering my question.

Let's try again... he's one in 12. On course for 3.2 goals for the season (or thereabouts). Content with that?

There was a period where he had like 11 goals in 13 games last season. By this logic he would have been on course for 32 goals in a season. That's not how it works. Players can have streaky purple patches, and barren runs, especially strikers. The truth is closer to the middle of these 2 extremes.

I'm not going to judge him on a 5 game goal return, especially when a.) I have a body of work spanning 3 seasons at Villa to reference and b.) he's contributed in other crucial ways including getting multiple assists. Zeroing in on a 5 game run seems to rather be missing the forest for the trees.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

There is no striker out there other than Kane who knits play together and has great passing ability. Possibly Toney, but he's out. His passing is serviceable, but his movement and pressing is crucial to our team even when on the ball he has frustrating days like today. Like I'm not sure what you're expecting. He's been involved in 5 goals so far this season and won 2 penalties, in a team that has scored 19 goals so far this season. I'm not worried about our strikers at the moment at all.

I think to evolve though to next step we need more of a Diaby type as CF (if it isn't going to be the man himself). Someone who can constantly drop and link up with the midfield, I think once Zaniolo gets properly used to the pace and physicality we've got some interesting decisions to make in final third.

We saw today that in tight games where we might only get one big chance you'd much rather have Diaby through one on one than Ollie.

BTW did my eyes deceive me or did MOTD not even show him hitting the post, that was unlucky not to go in.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Plenty of attacking contributions, yes he's doing fine. Who out there that we can realistically get is better?

This is question that stumps the Ollie detractors everytime. There isn't anyone realistic, not anyone absolutely guaranteed to be better that we could sign. No one!

He is still figuring regularly in goal involvements and has won 2 penalties in 5 matches.

He's leading the line, and doing his job.

It's good enough for Unai and good enough for me!

It's the new Mings thread. He has 4 assist in 5 games yet all we here is that he hadn't scored yet. The modern game demands so much more of a striker. That's why a natural finisher like Ings can't get a look in. If you are judging him based solely off of goals scored you have it wrong. 

• Like 2

Â