Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

One of our must underrated players. Maybe he needs to learn some tricks so he can be as highly rated as Traore.

Or perhaps throw strops and kick water bottles like Morgan Sanson?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Unlucky to have only had one today. 

Unlucky or just not a good enough "striker"? 

He hasn't scored more than 1 goal in a PL match since November 2020 - or 87 matches (I think he's played pretty much every minute of each of those games bar maybe 5 or 6 where he only played for about 30 mins).  That is a massive issue when he isn't surrounded by attackers who are scoring lots of goals.  In the same period there have only been 2 matches were he has had 2 goal contributions (1 goal, 1 assist v Norwich and 2 assists v Everton).  He does a lot of good for the team but we are going to be struggle to finish in the top 8 with him leading the line.  We need to score more goals / be more ruthless to kill off matches.  

I would definitely still have him in my starting XI next season but we really need a genuine goal scorer who Ollie can play off.  That way we play to his strengths and actually the goals and assists he does get then become almost an added bonus.  I also think that if he's playing off a main striker then he'll end up scoring at least as many just because he'll be able to use his pace better to arrive late and hopefully pick up more scraps.

Other areas of the pitch need strengthening as well - you should win more than you lose if you score 2 goals at home every match.  But we had opportunities today to get a third goal and if we get that then we probably go on and win the match rather than conceding a silly 4th.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Unlucky to have only had one today. 

It's difficult to criticise when he scored and basically assisted the own goal.

That chance in second half summed it up for me though. People always moan about lack of decent service. Think it was Coutinho who played a perfect throughball (like Maddison did for their third today).

Ollie takes touch to get it out of his feet. Why isn't he then shooting? Constantly looking up to see where the keeper is and steadying himself and too often the defender comes in and it just went out for a corner without even a shot at goal.

Just happens too often with Ollie I'm afraid.

Said it in the match thread but if he's got 18 months left on his deal I'd look at Iheanacho in the summer. Has a similar profile to Ings but younger with less dodgy knees and I think he'd be a good pick up for where we are currently.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's difficult to criticise when he scored and basically assisted the own goal.

That chance in second half summed it up for me though. People always moan about lack of decent service. Think it was Coutinho who played a perfect throughball (like Maddison did for their third today).

Ollie takes touch to get it out of his feet. Why isn't he then shooting? Constantly looking up to see where the keeper is and steadying himself and too often the defender comes in and it just went out for a corner without even a shot at goal.

Just happens too often with Ollie I'm afraid.

Said it in the match thread but if he's got 18 months left on his deal I'd look at Iheanacho in the summer. Has a similar profile to Ings but younger with less dodgy knees and I think he'd be a good pick up for where we are currently.

Not sure Iheanacho is the answer.  But I agree with the rest.  I think he might be better playing as the deeper "forward" as he's more likely to have the ball arriving from in front of him and he can hopefully have one look and then hit it.  He offers a lot to the team that makes us a better team overall but he needs to be our second source of goals rather than our primary source.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He grafted today, i'll give him that, but is he the player who will be with us if we ever finally get European football??

This!

If we have aspirations of European football we need an upgrade on Ollie. He wastes too many chances.

If we want to stay a mid table team then he is fine. 

He grafts, he will score goals, but he will miss more than he scores. In some games chances will be limited and we need that clinical finisher if we ever hope of getting European football. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He grafted today, i'll give him that, but is he the player who will be with us if we ever finally get European football??

Of course he is - we'll have a **** of sight harder job getting European football without him. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I've not no complaints. The goal he scored showed great reaction and a good finish. 

It's the mistakes that cost us today not the poor finishing 

Agreed that the mistakes were main issue but both things can be true at same time. Today was classic Ollie terrific first goal, good all round play but left at least one more goal out there. He wasn’t the only one. 

They were clinical and we weren’t. 

Edited by villaglint

The sitter he missed was so poor though.  This is what frustrates me about him he will do a moment of brilliance with his movement for 1st goal and follow it up with a dreadful miss that is 10x easier to score than the 1st.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Â