Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

14 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

Fair enough

I just feel like we (me included) as a fan base go waaaay over the top with criticism of individuals when we don't like, or rate, them (like probably every fan base does). But we have to be able to recognize when they occasionally do well and I feel like when you have assisted 2 goals in one game, it's unfair to be going in on him for missing that one chance (which admittedly he should have scored). There are reasons to be critical of Watkins, today is just not one of those days, of course just my opinion.   

I’m not sure I can agree with this summary - strikers live or die by goals this is how it’s always been.

there was a time when strikers got paid for every goal they scored.

Assists are all well and good - but actually this is quite a recent concept bought into the game by sky.

Yes of course they are important but years ago no one ever commented on strikers getting an assist - it was goals or nothing.

despite having some good attributes I feel Ollie is consistently proving himself to be an average striker imo 

14 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

Fair enough

I just feel like we (me included) as a fan base go waaaay over the top with criticism of individuals when we don't like, or rate, them (like probably every fan base does). But we have to be able to recognize when they occasionally do well and I feel like when you have assisted 2 goals in one game, it's unfair to be going in on him for missing that one chance (which admittedly he should have scored). There are reasons to be critical of Watkins, today is just not one of those days, of course just my opinion.   

I think, on this board at least and probs any board, we're not fans. There's no fandom in general on VT. A player is only as good as his last game.

I miss being a fan and reading nice and supporting things even after a loss.

I wonder when Cowans had a poor game, would he have been thrown under the bus on VT? Guy can't run to save his life! What a weakling, how did he ever get to the team, I'll never know!!!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

I’m not sure I can agree with this summary - strikers live or die by goals this is how it’s always been.

Assists are all well and good - but actually this is quite a recent concept bought into the game by sky.

Yes of course they are important but years ago no one ever commented on strikers getting an assist - it was goals or nothing.

despite having some good attributes I feel Ollie is consistently proving himself to be an average striker imo 

Is he a striker now though, played wide yesterday? If Bailey gets two assists we all rave about it. He's finished with double figures in the last two seasons, no reason to think he won't get that again.

We all know that he isn't the most clinical finisher, nor the most technically gifted footballer in the world. But tbh the real noticeable change in his game indicating a loss of form was that he was struggling to do all the unselfish parts of a strikers role - I thought he did that side of the game brilliantly yesterday, running the channels, holding the ball up and bringing others into play. Agree with the poster above who stated we are better team when he plays 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

Didn't he score the 7th most goals for a striker last year? 

With all due respect, ChesterDad, you need to stop living in the past. Attacking play these days is far more free form than it used to be - just look at the top 10 highest goalscorers in the league last season - only 2 out and out and strikers there in Kane and Vardy. 

If you don't see the value in what Ollie did yesterday, i.e. having a big hand in both goals, then I don't really know what to tell you. It's not 4-4-fakhin-2 and smoking a fag at half time anymore. 

• Like 4

Watkins does so much he creates space for others. Ings I bet loves playing with him. Watkins does souch work and harassing the defenders. He misses chances and his first touch is often not great but that's Watkins. You get good and not so good but always max effort 

He can frustrate the life out of me at times and there's no denying he has his limitations, but we just are a more effective team with him in it at the moment given our style/personnel. 

5 hours ago, lexicon said:

Didn't he score the 7th most goals for a striker last year? 

With all due respect, ChesterDad, you need to stop living in the past. Attacking play these days is far more free form than it used to be - just look at the top 10 highest goalscorers in the league last season - only 2 out and out and strikers there in Kane and Vardy. 

If you don't see the value in what Ollie did yesterday, i.e. having a big hand in both goals, then I don't really know what to tell you. It's not 4-4-fakhin-2 and smoking a fag at half time anymore. 

I do hear what you say and I acknowledge that maybe I am looking too the past.

But ultimately strikers will be judged on goals scored not how many assists they are credited with - this is just football.

As I said Ollie has some good qualities - but personally I don’t feel that he is able to take the club forwards to where we all would really like to be.

His touch and technique in my humble opinion are not good enough.

This said, I would be delighted to be proved wrong 👍🏻

One thing my lad said to me on the weekend. If he has the ball for less than 2 seconds he's great, more than 2 seconds he's shite. We all know when he picks up and runs at a defence from deep he will run into a brick wall and screw it up. His most effective work is the instinctual stuff imo

Not nearly enough love in here for the first touch he took in the box with his head from the ball that was drilled to him by mings it was class 

Love Ollie. If he could learn that strikers art of just lifting the ball over the keeper on a one on one he's be fine. So many of his finishes are saved by the keeper cos the shot stays so low. Needs to work on his dinks!

• Like 2

Â