Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

28 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Shot accuracy just means on target I'm guessing? As he rarely hits the corners.

That's my take on him, he hits the target well but often at comfortable height for keeper and not often in the corners. I suppose that's the difference between clinical and ruthless players like Son and Kane, and Watkins.

• Like 2

the finishing that I'd like to see Ollie work and be coached on is not featured in this video.

Its the dink over the oncoming keeper when through on goal with just the keeper to beat.

I think I've seen virtually all of Ollie's 94 league goals and I can't recall one scored with a dink (unless one counts the hat-trick completing goal against Newport from outside the area). Nor many (any?) attempts at using that technique. 

Any body seen him score  with a dink? If he added that option to his armoury he could improve his scoring record from that position

• Like 3

On 30/04/2022 at 15:15, QldVilla said:

He could have had three today, his work rate was exceptional, but he isn’t clinical in front of goal. He either takes a touch instead of hitting it or hits it straight at the keeper. Three times during the game he took a touch, on two occasions it gave the defender time to get a foot in, the other was a deflection off the defender for the goal. Ironically, if the defender hadn’t of got a touch the keeper probably saves it.

You haven't complicated and qualified that statement enough. Its simple, unalloyed factuality is hurting my arse. It may need to be said a few thousand more times before it becomes clear.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

The finishing is not the problem - it the the trampoline feet. Need to play with a Velcro ball and have some on his boots, will be fine then

spacer.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, calcifer said:

The finishing is not the problem - it the the trampoline feet. Need to play with a Velcro ball and have some on his boots, will be fine then

spacer.png

Yes, but the finishing is certainly a part of the problem.

13 hours ago, Exeter Fan Too said:

the finishing that I'd like to see Ollie work and be coached on is not featured in this video.

Its the dink over the oncoming keeper when through on goal with just the keeper to beat.

I think I've seen virtually all of Ollie's 94 league goals and I can't recall one scored with a dink (unless one counts the hat-trick completing goal against Newport from outside the area). Nor many (any?) attempts at using that technique. 

Any body seen him score  with a dink? If he added that option to his armoury he could improve his scoring record from that position

Coincidentally I've been chatting to a Brentford fan at work today about Ollie and he said how there's no finesse or elegance to Watkins's finishes, it's either 6 yard box finishes (nothing wrong with that, Ruud Van Nistlerooy made a living from it) or occasionally he can smash them in. But her remarked you won't see him dink it over the keeper or curl one beautifully, and you don't really fancy him on one-on-ones. 

I love seeing a player want to improve themselves. These training videos seem to demonstrate this and other playing and management staff have said similar, but I'm concerned there's parts of being a finisher that can't be taught. Ultimately I see us struggling to break away from the likes of Saints, Palace and Brighton if Watkins is our lead striker due to his limitations. Would love to be proved wrong though, of course. And I really like him and has shown great workmate at times, which isn't to be dismissed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

Coincidentally I've been chatting to a Brentford fan at work today about Ollie and he said how there's no finesse or elegance to Watkins's finishes, it's either 6 yard box finishes (nothing wrong with that, Ruud Van Nistlerooy made a living from it) or occasionally he can smash them in. But her remarked you won't see him dink it over the keeper or curl one beautifully, and you don't really fancy him on one-on-ones. 

I love seeing a player want to improve themselves. These training videos seem to demonstrate this and other playing and management staff have said similar, but I'm concerned there's parts of being a finisher that can't be taught. Ultimately I see us struggling to break away from the likes of Saints, Palace and Brighton if Watkins is our lead striker due to his limitations. Would love to be proved wrong though, of course. And I really like him and has shown great workmate at times, which isn't to be dismissed. 

I seem to remember him curling one in against Brighton last season, and one of his goals in the 7-2 was defo in top corner from cutting in on his right.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

He's not a finisher really. I wouldn't trust Watkins to score in a 1v1 at all. Good player though. 

He’s a good finisher… but almost NOT when he has plenty of time to think.

Snap shot from a corner against Man City, running length of the pitch against Brighton, turn on the box and ping against Southampton - all very good goals. But, as you say, I wouldn’t be confident with him 1 on 1 - unlike, say, Benteke when he was here. Him 1 on 1 = goal. 

58 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I seem to remember him curling one in against Brighton last season, and one of his goals in the 7-2 was defo in top corner from cutting in on his right.

Fair enough.

The fact is, some things just can't be teached . Watkins is never going to have that instinctual trait in the six - yard box like a Linekar or Cottee. That is just never going to happen.

Hopefully, he can work on that first touch because at times, it's horrendous. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

On 30/06/2022 at 11:32, roonst83 said:

His first goal for Villa in the Premier league was certainly elegant. 

15 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

The fact is, some things just can't be teached . Watkins is never going to have that instinctual trait in the six - yard box like a Linekar or Cottee. That is just never going to happen.

Hopefully, he can work on that first touch, because, at times, it's horrendous. 

Really? I think he has that. It’s when he has too much time to think he seems to struggle. When he plays on instinct he can be deadly. 

Remember the one against Arsenal he slotted until keepers legs. Loved that. 

Â