Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

On 11/01/2022 at 22:45, Demitri_C said:

I dont know whats happening with ollies finishing but that one when he hit the bar, he needs to score that.

He misses alot of opportunities for me and its frustrating 

To even get himself the ball and in a position to score was good football.

His effort was almost equally as fine, considering he was in the heat of the contest and under pressure. Few inches south and it's one for the highlight reels.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MellbergsBeard said:

I think he leaves this summer 

Will take a significant outlay for someone to sign him.

I'm thinking 60m+.

If he does go for that figure we already have Ings and could take a punt on the next big thing striker wise and also strengthen other areas of the team.

Edited by AshVilla

34 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I can find faults with a lot of players this season but Watkins isnt one of them, if people think we can do better than him up front then you are deluded in my opinion .

Saying we can’t do better than him is one thing but saying you can’t find fault with him season is bizarre.  He’s been a shadow I’d the player last season even when he’s been on his own in the team without Ings.  He’s been making poor decisions, overly selfish, his movement hasn’t been as good, his shooting hasn’t been as good and he seems more stroppy and he looked a yard slower in pace.  He was brilliant last season, this season he has regressed, he needs to get that form from last season back.

As for general faults, he’s not a good enough finisher.  It’s the one thing that lets I’m down at the top end. He has everything else in his locker (although he hasn’t shown enough of it this season) but he’s not a good enough finisher.  Hopefully a bit more experience and coaching can help him with that.

I wouldn't let him go anywhere. I'd much rather see Ing's go. Ollie has far more miles in the engine and a far better allrounder than Ing's. He's far more suited to the lone CF job and to our team. We do also need more than one forward in case anyone think we now need to sell one.  

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Saying we can’t do better than him is one thing but saying you can’t find fault with him season is bizarre.  He’s been a shadow I’d the player last season even when he’s been on his own in the team without Ings.  He’s been making poor decisions, overly selfish, his movement hasn’t been as good, his shooting hasn’t been as good and he seems more stroppy and he looked a yard slower in pace.  He was brilliant last season, this season he has regressed, he needs to get that form from last season back.

As for general faults, he’s not a good enough finisher.  It’s the one thing that lets I’m down at the top end. He has everything else in his locker (although he hasn’t shown enough of it this season) but he’s not a good enough finisher.  Hopefully a bit more experience and coaching can help him with that.

Maybe I phrased it wrong, you can obviously find a fault with any football player but when I look at us being 14th in the table there’s obviously weaknesses in the team that need upgrading if we want to kick on, I don’t think Watkins or Ings are players that need to be upgraded, it’s the rest of the team not providing them enough chances.

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

I wouldn't let him go anywhere. I'd much rather see Ing's go. Ollie has far more miles in the engine and a far better allrounder than Ing's. He's far more suited to the lone CF job and to our team. We do also need more than one forward in case anyone think we now need to sell one.  

We don’t need to sell either, it was my big point in the summer that we need two quality strikers.  I wouldn’t sell either unless the club wanted somebody else and wanted to let one go.  I don’t have a favourite of either of them, both have great qualities.

Just now, AVFCDAN said:

Maybe I phrased it wrong, you can obviously find a fault with any football player but when I look at us being 14th in the table there’s obviously weaknesses in the team that need upgrading if we want to kick on, I don’t think Watkins or Ings are players that need to be upgraded, it’s the rest of the team not providing them enough chances.

Completely agree with you there.

I think he is one of our better players but he cant just keep going on being unfortunate in front of goal. He hit the woodwork loads last season and was fractionally offside a few times which was also unlucky.

But like that chance at Old Trafford the other night, a top striker puts it away, not crashing the effort against the bar. There comes a point where you're not unlucky, more just you cant consistently finish.

Grealish, Barkley and Traore allowed us to occupy territory further up the pitch and retain it well enough to develop passing sequences that got Ollie into danger areas and involved, whether he was the scorer or supplier or not is not my point, he was able to play better because his team were carrying their weight and making his life easier. Most of Watkins goals last season were tap ins or relatively basic finishes in the box, coming from his knack for making good runs and getting on the end of deliveries. 

I think while we have good players out there again this season, it's been another period of making adjustments and tinkering to see who's best where and why. Not to mention a manager change too. 

Watkins will benefit from having those around him know their role and how to work it with those around them. 

I'd say that's one of the reasons we've not seen him hit the back of the net as often this season, and that the focus of his displays have been on misfiring trying to go solo too often. I think both will be amended as the team comes into its own and forges its identity. 

Watkins is certainly a very capable player.

23 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If arsenal get cl and come in for him 100% he be gone. Otherwise Cant see it 

If he does go which will be unlikely i think tammys gotta be no 1 choice.

Arsenal want Vlahovic who will only join if they get Champions League. I dont think they will look at Watkins if have a chance at Vlahovic 

Our single worst player this season. Ends every single attack he is involved in by missing, being offside or falling over (usually falling over). We need to get rid of him if he can’t be motivated at Villa and signing another striker is enough to make him throw his toys out of the pram. Very done with him. 

• Like 1

Â