Academy General Topic

smetrov

7 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Yes, he’s a very good central midfielder, I saw him a few times for the u16s last season. He’s a first year scholar for this season

Hope he makes it cause I’ve already thought of a great chant for him:

”one Aaron Ramsey, there’s only one Aaron Ramsey!”

• Haha 2

3 years in the Championship and the only academy players to really make any sort on dent into the senior squad is Grealish and to a lesser extent Davis who has 4 goals in 48 appearances.

We've certainly been doing something wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, sne said:

3 years in the Championship and the only academy players to really make any sort on dent into the senior squad is Grealish and to a lesser extent Davis who has 4 goals in 48 appearances.

We've certainly been doing something wrong.

Green? I know he didn't do as much as we would have hoped, but I'm not sure how much Davis outperformed him.

I do agree that it's still not good enough if it's those three.

Edit: wasn't Davis about 18 when he joined anyway?

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Green? I know he didn't do as much as we would have hoped, but I'm not sure how much Davis outperformed him.

True, Green has featured quite a bit as well.

Sadly didn't make it from what it seem.

4 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

He was 17 when we signed him from Biggleswade Town

20 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s still only 21 years old, feels like he’s been around for ages, he can still make it here 

Green is rubbish, he's 21 and can't even get in the Preston side, who are playing well of course.

If he can't even get in the Preston side he won't stand a chance here.

Unless we are in the championship next season :)

30 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Green is rubbish, he's 21 and can't even get in the Preston side, who are playing well of course.

If he can't even get in the Preston side he won't stand a chance here.

Unless we are in the championship next season :)

He’s still young and has a lot of potential, his injury problems have held him back. In my opinion, he can still make it here

We've won in the Premier League Cup away at Boro.

Our Under-18s were edged out in their first game of their Premier League Cup campaign against Aston Villa.

Perhaps more importantly, one of our scorers was yet another great name:

the visitors responded two minutes later via Tristan Abldeen-Goodridge. 

Here: https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/boro-u18s-2-aston-villa-u18s-3

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aaron Ramsey has been identified by the Guardian as our best talent in the Academy.

The name and position will be familiar, but this Aaron Ramsey is English. The younger brother of Jacob, who made his Villa debut against West Brom last season (there is a third Ramsey brother in the academy too), Aaron is a technically gifted attacking midfielder who has the ability and vision to create chances for others. He is more than capable of scoring goals, too, and ended up with 19 for Villa's under-16s last season. A local lad – he lives in Great Barr – Ramsey joined the club he supports at the age of eight and has gone on to represent England at under-16 and under-17 level.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2019/oct/09/next-generation-2019-20-of-the-best-talents-at-premier-league-clubs

Notably the last two previously identified were Easah Suliman (2014) & James Finnerty (2015), the latter of which has since returned home to Bohemian in Ireland after being released by the club in 2018 and an unsuccessful stint at Rochdale.

Of course nobody was identified in '16, '17 & '18 because we weren't in the Premier League.

Â