Academy General Topic

smetrov

8 hours ago, Hornso said:

Aaron Ramsey has been identified by the Guardian as our best talent in the Academy.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2019/oct/09/next-generation-2019-20-of-the-best-talents-at-premier-league-clubs

Notably the last two previously identified were Easah Suliman (2014) & James Finnerty (2015), the latter of which has since returned home to Bohemian in Ireland after being released by the club in 2018 and an unsuccessful stint at Rochdale.

Of course nobody was identified in '16, '17 & '18 because we weren't in the Premier League.

What is happening with Suliman - has anybody seen him recently?  Is there a footballer there or not?

On 24/09/2019 at 16:56, MaVilla said:

Green is rubbish, he's 21 and can't even get in the Preston side, who are playing well of course.

If he can't even get in the Preston side he won't stand a chance here.

Unless we are in the championship next season :)

Never really thought green looked much like a wide player - not really quick enough or tricky enough.  But, if you could invert him so he is coming inside with that shot, I think he could have a future.  Equally, I think he has the physical attributes and shot to play as a 10 potentially.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

What is happening with Suliman - has anybody seen him recently?  Is there a footballer there or not?

He’s 21 now, he’s at an age where he needs regular first team football. In my opinion, he’s a very capable centre back, his loan spells haven’t really worked out for him. I wouldn’t rule him out making it here still, if we have an injury crisis at centre back, he could come in, unlikely I know

19 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Never really thought green looked much like a wide player - not really quick enough or tricky enough.  But, if you could invert him so he is coming inside with that shot, I think he could have a future.  Equally, I think he has the physical attributes and shot to play as a 10 potentially.

I wouldn’t write him off just yet, he’s been in and around our first team for a long time and hasn’t really established himself, he has had a lot of injuries. He can still make an impact here I think 

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s 21 now, he’s at an age where he needs regular first team football. In my opinion, he’s a very capable centre back, his loan spells haven’t really worked out for him. I wouldn’t rule him out making it here still, if we have an injury crisis at centre back, he could come in, unlikely I know

I know you are always optimistic re Villa youth.  Why do you think Sulliman still has a chance given that his various loan spells have not worked out at all - in fact he has hardly had any game time as I understand it.  I know he has had a decent England career at the various age levels and I had always understood him to be a footballing type (a "Ferdinand" sort as opposed to a JT).  What is it that is holding him back - is he lacking in muscularity/weak, is he positionally poor, is lacking pace??  And why is he not out at the minute?

It would be great to produce a decent CB.

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I wouldn’t write him off just yet, he’s been in and around our first team for a long time and hasn’t really established himself, he has had a lot of injuries. He can still make an impact here I think 

I'm not.  I just think, from what I have seen, he is playing in the wrong position to suit his game - which, for me, is more about power/explosive shooting and less about guile, trickery and pace?  He reminds a bit of Barkley and has a similar physique as well.

Maybe the championship is his level - he can still obviously have a great career (earn plenty) at that level.

1 minute ago, barry'sboots said:

I know you are always optimistic re Villa youth.  Why do you think Sulliman still has a chance given that his various loan spells have not worked out at all - in fact he has hardly had any game time as I understand it.  I know he has had a decent England career at the various age levels and I had always understood him to be a footballing type (a "Ferdinand" sort as opposed to a JT).  What is it that is holding him back - is he lacking in muscularity/weak, is he positionally poor, is lacking pace??  And why is he not out at the minute?

It would be great to produce a decent CB.

I’ve seen him develop over the years, I have a soft spot for him, he’s an excellent centre back. If he didn’t have a chance, he wouldn’t still be an Aston Villa player. I think his strength has improved, he’s got all of the ingredients to have a great career, be it here or elsewhere 

5 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I'm not.  I just think, from what I have seen, he is playing in the wrong position to suit his game - which, for me, is more about power/explosive shooting and less about guile, trickery and pace?  He reminds a bit of Barkley and has a similar physique as well.

Maybe the championship is his level - he can still obviously have a great career (earn plenty) at that level.

I think he’s a natural left winger who could also play as a number 10 in emergencies. He hasn’t really progressed due to injuries

5 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I’ve seen him develop over the years, I have a soft spot for him, he’s an excellent centre back. If he didn’t have a chance, he wouldn’t still be an Aston Villa player. I think his strength has improved, he’s got all of the ingredients to have a great career, be it here or elsewhere 

You must be seeing something that others aren't then because he is not getting opportunities when out on loan and is clearly miles away from our first team ... I assume Revan is ahead of him given his involvement over the last 12 months, which puts Sulliman in 7th spot (??).  At his age,if he is not close to the first team, he should really be out on loan playing. 

55 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

You must be seeing something that others aren't then because he is not getting opportunities when out on loan and is clearly miles away from our first team ... I assume Revan is ahead of him given his involvement over the last 12 months, which puts Sulliman in 7th spot (??).  At his age,if he is not close to the first team, he should really be out on loan playing. 

Just because he probably won’t make it here, doesn’t mean he won’t have a good career elsewhere 

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

Just because he probably won’t make it here, doesn’t mean he won’t have a good career elsewhere 

I wouldn't disagree with that. 

I was just asking why you rate him/what do you see him in , and why you think others don't rate/want to play him i.e. are there any obvious weaknesses that he needs to work on?

36 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I wouldn't disagree with that. 

I was just asking why you rate him/what do you see him in , and why you think others don't rate/want to play him i.e. are there any obvious weaknesses that he needs to work on?

He’s quite an elegant centre back, good on the ball, he could improve his strength. We have other more experienced centre backs and he’s out of contract at the end of the season sadly

Young midfielders Carney Chukwuemeka and Aaron Ramsey (no relation) represented England u17 against Germany u17s in a tournament in Spain. It’s on thefa.com, Ramsey was captain, I saw him for our u16s last season, he’s a central midfielder, dynamic and quick, uses the ball well. I don’t think I have seen Chukwuemeka, all I know about him is that we signed him as a 12 year old from Northampton Town

• Like 1

On 13/10/2019 at 21:14, sir_gary_cahill said:

Young midfielders Carney Chukwuemeka and Aaron Ramsey (no relation) represented England u17 against Germany u17s in a tournament in Spain. It’s on thefa.com, Ramsey was captain, I saw him for our u16s last season, he’s a central midfielder, dynamic and quick, uses the ball well. I don’t think I have seen Chukwuemeka, all I know about him is that we signed him as a 12 year old from Northampton Town

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â