villaglint

They played well on Saturday but you have to put things into perspective.  It was their turn to shine, they played well because of it (pumped up, bit of a fanfare etc) but they still lost.  I'm not so sure the players they have at their disposal have the resilience to keep it up week-in, week-out in the Premier League.  They'll go down.   

They played a team on Saturday that were playing their first competative match as a unit, a few of which were barely fit and also lacking their two most creative players and I would add best player in Grealish. It was their first game in the top flight, ever. Once that team hit it's stride they looked lost for ideas. They created a couple of good chances against an otherwise solid defensive unit, also playing it's first competitive match together, and they bottled them.

I think they will struggle. They're a very good championship side now mixing it with the big boys.

said it saturday was like West Brom under Mowbray, Wilson looked quite poor as well granted was one game but you dont get many chances at this level like that

defence looked poor as well 

Can see them being a bit like Blackpool in 10/11; Will score a lot but concede a lot. I thought they played some great stuff at times against us but really need to take their chances, I'd much rather a side like them that plays positive football stay up then your Sunderlands and West Broms etc, good luck to them.

oh i dont think anybody wishes them ill will once not at our expense. They try to play neat football but you could see against us that it wasnt working and think as we are a work in progress that was definitely 3 points they were aiming for

Going down.

Saturday they were playing a team who struggled last season, now in transition, with home advantage, in a carnival atmosphere, and still lost. 

• Like 1

It's worth remembering they hardly played any of their new signings, seems Howe gave last year's promotion team one hurrah in the premier league and I can see him changing half the team for the next game.

So in will come Mings, Distin, Gradel for a start and maybe Tomlin aswell. Harry Arter might also be back from injury. 

From looking at the weekend think they need another striker alongside Wilson. He was scoring for fun one on one last year but he couldn't beat Guzan when he was through so they need someone else to threaten as Josh King isn't good enough.

I said Watford and Bournmouth will both survive so will stick to that although it will be tight, Norwich are the only one of the promoted teams who don't have a hope in hell of staying up imo.

I think they'll be this year's "they played nice football but couldn't convert it into wins" meanwhile down the road in the black country the boggies will grind out points with a horrible version of the beautiful game.

Can see them being a bit like Blackpool in 10/11; Will score a lot but concede a lot. I thought they played some great stuff at times against us but really need to take their chances, I'd much rather a side like them that plays positive football stay up then your Sunderlands and West Broms etc, good luck to them.

That will be Watford I think.

It's hard to know how good our result down there was, with a tight pitch and small stadium they could make it into a mini Britannia or they could struggle to win at home and at all, it's difficult to say.

• 6 months later...
On 8/10/2015 at 20:11, VillaChris said:

It's worth remembering they hardly played any of their new signings, seems Howe gave last year's promotion team one hurrah in the premier league and I can see him changing half the team for the next game.

So in will come Mings, Distin, Gradel for a start and maybe Tomlin aswell. Harry Arter might also be back from injury. 

From looking at the weekend think they need another striker alongside Wilson. He was scoring for fun one on one last year but he couldn't beat Guzan when he was through so they need someone else to threaten as Josh King isn't good enough.

I said Watford and Bournmouth will both survive so will stick to that although it will be tight, Norwich are the only one of the promoted teams who don't have a hope in hell of staying up imo.

Nice stuff from this Villa Chris guy....

Seriously it's kind of got lost in how bonkers it is at the top but what a great achievement it will be for Bournemouth to survive.

35 points now so if we say 38 is the magic fixture they're as good as safe. Especially as they still have to play us again.

In any other season Eddie Howe would be manager of the season by a country mile.

I know they've spent a bit but two of those big money signings Gradel and Mings have missed pretty much all the season with cruciate injuries.

And I actually though they were finished when Calum Wilson also got a bad injury in September so remarkable they've done as well as they have.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Seriously it's kind of got lost in how bonkers it is at the top but what a great achievement it will be for Bournemouth to survive.

35 points now so if we say 38 is the magic fixture they're as good as safe. Especially as they still have to play us again.

In any other season Eddie Howe would be manager of the season by a country mile.

I know they've spent a bit but two of those big money signings Gradel and Mings have missed pretty much all the season with cruciate injuries.

And I actually though they were finished when Calum Wilson also got a bad injury in September so remarkable they've done as well as they have.

It's amazing what a bit of team spirit and togetherness can achieve

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

imagine how high they would be up if Wilson stayed fit :o

I thought Josh King would be hopeless at this level but he did a good job filling in over the xmas period scoring a couple of crucial winners and again yesterday.

I'm sure Wilson would've added a few more points as he is simply better so maybe just sneaking into top half.

Eddie Howe is a genius for what he has done down there.  If we had a forward thinking board they should be throwing all the money he needs to turn us around.  In Dougs day I would have had confidence he would at least of tried but with these jokers in charge we will just have to watch how he improves Bournemouth!  There is always the 2nd season syndrome to get over I suppose because he could be another Lambert! 

11k capacity and to compete in this league puts us, Sunderland and Newcastle to shame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

Eddie Howe is a genius for what he has done down there.  If we had a forward thinking board they should be throwing all the money he needs to turn us around.  In Dougs day I would have had confidence he would at least of tried but with these jokers in charge we will just have to watch how he improves Bournemouth!  There is always the 2nd season syndrome to get over I suppose because he could be another Lambert! 

11k capacity and to compete in this league puts us, Sunderland and Newcastle to shame.

He's not necessarily be a good fit for another club though, whereas everything is perfect for him at Bournemouth. He moved to Burnley before and wasn't that successful.

On 05/03/2016 at 18:05, VillaChris said:

I said before the season they would stay up, but then the injuries left a big doubt. All credit to Eddie Howe! Shame about Wilson! A player i really rate and wanted to sign but others didn't want him because he was English not French ;)

Last season we had two really good teams in Bournemouth and Watford come up from the championship, that probably wont be the case this year.

Edited by PaulC

Bizarre comment.

If we had signed Wilson he would probably go the way of the current players in our squad and quite easily offer very little, we don't have any service.

There are more long term problems at this club than Bournemouth, they essentially rebuilt completely under Howe we don't have that option (yet).

Â