Pre-season General chat

Demitri_C

Highly doubt teams will be traveling all over the world on tours.

As boring as it sounds. Friendlies behind closed doors is the most likely.

A whole season without fans will be heartbreaking but it is looking like it will happen. 

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone know if there is one? If season is restarting in around 6 weeks will there be friendlies?

dunno, but i wouldnt be surprised if it was just pre season training, and possibly inter club friendlies (vs u23 for example).

sure we will find out soon.

Football is going to be bloody cramped for the next two years.

As usual, huge advantages heading to the bigger clubs with massive squads.

I think the five subs rule still has to be signed off by 14 PL clubs to carry on for the whole of next season. Makes me think it won't happen.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I think the five subs rule still has to be signed off by 14 PL clubs to carry on for the whole of next season. Makes me think it won't happen.

Looking at that schedule, we need to not sell too many players, buy a few and really improve the depth of our squad, we are going to need it.....

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone know if there is one? If season is restarting in around 6 weeks will there be friendlies?

Players off for 3 weeks, then back for 3 weeks before the start of the season I think I heard/read? Going to be one hell of a scramble. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

That is beyond bonkers.

What happens if a match is postponed because of the weather? I could see a few teams having to forfeit a game here or there ala Boro years ago under Robson.

With injuries piling up clubs may not be able to field teams.  Absolutely bonkers!

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Pretty sure this is what @OutByEaster? Or @BOF (can’t remember who?!) was alluding to during lockdown, that we needed to get restarted when we did to stand any chance of next season happening. 

We will be back in for preseason in a few weeks and I’d imagine play just friendlies in the UK. I can’t see any clubs jetting off to the Far East for money spinning tours this year!

Edited by villan-scott
  • Like 1

There really isn’t much time to prepare for a full season now. If the players are having three weeks off then that’s just three weeks til kick off. How this will affect the fitness and conditioning of the players as the season progresses, I don’t know. But if you factor in the crammed schedule then I can see it leading to fatigue and injuries. 

That’s all before you consider the potential of a second wave that could put a stop to football again. 

In a way we have hit abit of form so we might be ok if seasin is starting in 6 weeks.

Can see us having a friendly with walsall. Hopefully we get that long overdue friendly with our friends at hibs that both sets of fans wanted 

obvious and best answer is that you don't put the European qualified team in the league cup which is a blessing in disguise and how that tournament should be done anyway

the next thing is UEFA should be told their no games on champions league night can get in the sea meaning that the cup games and even some PL games can be pushed to the midweek and ease some of the congestions

6 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Guessing that there might be another bcd friendly or two with WBA before the season. 

Perhaps not with them now they are in the big time again, for a season. I'm thinking two or three of these:

Walsall, Coventry, Stoke, Forest, Leicester (again)? 

36 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

obvious and best answer is that you don't put the European qualified team in the league cup which is a blessing in disguise and how that tournament should be done anyway

It would take the shine off winning it though. Straight away it would become a second rate competition and it's already not particularly glamorous. Not that it matters, the European qualified teams will always have to compete in it. 

Edited by villa89

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Wasn’t there talk of carabao cup  being scrapped For a year next season ?

Edited by Eastie

3 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Pretty sure this is what @OutByEaster? Or @BOF (can’t remember who?!) was alluding to during lockdown, that we needed to get restarted when we did to stand any chance of next season happening. 

We will be back in for preseason in a few weeks and I’d imagine play just friendlies in the UK. I can’t see any clubs jetting off to the Far East for money spinning tours this year!

It wasn't me. Quite the opposite in fact. I think the enforced break could have actually shifted the season quite conveniently to adjust for the Qatar 2022 World Cup, and had they used joined up thinking, they could have used it as part of quite an elegant solution for that stupid tournament. But now they're back to square one and will have the upheaval all over again. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It would take the shine off winning it though. Straight away it would become a second rate competition and it's already not particularly glamorous. Not that it matters, the European qualified teams will always have to compete in it. 

its already a 2nd rate competition that's doing well to exist...

if that doesn't tickle the bollocks of the likes of us (no European football for 10 years now) everton (3 years) Newcastle (8 years) Leeds (18 years) Southampton (4 years) Arsenal who probably wont be in it next season plus then all of the championship and the likes of palace who've never played in Europe (i think) then the competition really has no future

That January schedule looks outrageous. Can only see Uefa allowing games in UCL mid-weeks for this season.

Can also see a revision to the League Cup in some way as well.  Whether it's one legged semis or limited team entry.  May have to sack off replays in favour of penalty shootouts in every competition too 

Â