Pre-season General chat

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

There really isn’t much time to prepare for a full season now. If the players are having three weeks off then that’s just three weeks til kick off. How this will affect the fitness and conditioning of the players as the season progresses, I don’t know. But if you factor in the crammed schedule then I can see it leading to fatigue and injuries. 

That’s all before you consider the potential of a second wave that could put a stop to football again. 

I'm not sure the players' welfare has ever really been that high in the priorities since lockdown started, as long as the TV contracts have been fulfilled nothing else matters really.  

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Wasn’t there talk of carabao cup  being scrapped For a year next season ?

Could be a good chance of a trophy as the bigger sides will likely play reserves again.

• Like 1

Walsall are going to be in big demand this close season. 

Interesting question. Ordinarily these small clubs host a big club for a bit of revenue.. They will get no revenue from these.  Will they ask for payment for a game? 

It's probably no skin off their nose if they play Villa or Telford in such circumstances. 

16 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

How would a one legged semi final work for carabao cup? Will it be at a neutral ground? Surely thats the only fair way to do it?

It will just be the luck of the draw. Either that or the whole competition will be scrapped. The top teams don't want it. Hence City didn't even looked fussed when they beat us at Wembley in March.   I expect they will lobby to play U23 sides only. Only Scotland have a league cup in Europe, I believe France got rid of their's last season.

23 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

There really isn’t much time to prepare for a full season now. If the players are having three weeks off then that’s just three weeks til kick off. How this will affect the fitness and conditioning of the players as the season progresses, I don’t know. But if you factor in the crammed schedule then I can see it leading to fatigue and injuries. 

That’s all before you consider the potential of a second wave that could put a stop to football again. 

I suppose in reality they only played for a month or so, before that they had the biggest break they will ever have!

7 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

It will just be the luck of the draw. Either that or the whole competition will be scrapped. The top teams don't want it. Hence City didn't even looked fussed when they beat us at Wembley in March.   I expect they will lobby to play U23 sides only. Only Scotland have a league cup in Europe, I believe France got rid of their's last season.

Like someone posted just keep all the teams in Europe out of it then. Would be morè enjoyable for the rest of the clubs in it. Gives us Newcastle everton etc a chance of actually winning a trophy

On 29/07/2020 at 09:27, John said:

Perhaps not with them now they are in the big time again, for a season. I'm thinking two or three of these:

Walsall, Coventry, Stoke, Forest, Leicester (again)? 

As long as we play our friendlies at home 😳

• Haha 1

Kidderminster, Port Vale, Walsall, Derby and/or Stoke would be my guess all within an hour from Bodymoor Heath. 

would like to see the club properly stream the friendlies too as no doubt they’ll all be behind closed doors. 

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

With no fan?

Well I was working on the idea that they’re allowing fans back in October time, and the Carabao Cup Semi is looking like January, so likely to be some fans in attendance, but not a full house admittedly. 

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

A whole season without fans ?

Looking more and more like this could be the case. Wonder what they will do with TV rights and spreading games out again if this is the case?

On 29/07/2020 at 09:34, BOF said:

I think the enforced break could have actually shifted the season quite conveniently to adjust for the Qatar 2022 World Cup, and had they used joined up thinking, they could have used it as part of quite an elegant solution for that stupid tournament.

Out of interest, how would you have done this? 

Qatar will be Nov-Dec 2022, the Euros will be Jun-Jul 2021. Would you have split the 2020-21 season so that the Euros was in the middle of it, or delayed the Euros til later in 2021 so that the 2021-22 season would have run from say Dec 21 to Oct 22 after the Euros in September? 

I think that might work, but you've then got to try to gradually bring that back with a 2022-23 season starting in January 2023 - that'd take at least a couple of season and might mean nudging the start of the 2024 Euros slightly.

• Confused 2

Â