Johan Lange

hippo

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

No I know; that's my point. Letting him throw the kitchen sink at it because he wants us in Europe by 2024 -with, from this hypothetical proposal, no oversight from anybody else, just a mate to help negotiate the fees - is a disaster waiting to happen.

If he doesn't get Europe, we'll be sacking him anyway, if he does, there's an outside chance he gets the Liverpool job. 

But if he doesn't get Europe, he gets sacked and we have an entire set up based entirely around Project Stevie G.

I can't believe this hadn't crossed the owners minds. 

A poor end to the season. I wouldn't entirely rule out a change of head coach in the summer.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Sorry Mate.

But unless Gerrard is anything other than a disaster here - the clamour for an Anfield return would be unbearable.

He will be Liverpool manager soon enough. It's probably the most predictable thing in football right now.

I'm sure he will manage them someday, I just don't see it while Liverpool are at the level they are at currently.  They will have the pick of any manager in Europe within reason.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

A poor end to the season. I wouldn't entirely rule out a change of head coach in the summer.

i would

gerrard, lange, the entire playing squad judging by their various threads - at some point we have to stop starting again, we cant just sack or sell everyone, i dont think the manager, any director or any first choice starting 11 will leave this summer

we need more patience

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

Our main owners seem to be great people, but they’re far from being experts in the football business.

They have chosen Purslow to run the club and if he tells them this the way to go, they’ll probably trust him. At least another year.

I can’t see Purslow ever taking the initiative to sack Gerrard, so if the owners want a new manager they’ll have to buy out Purslow as well.

36 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i would

gerrard, lange, the entire playing squad judging by their various threads - at some point we have to stop starting again, we cant just sack or sell everyone, i dont think the manager, any director or any first choice starting 11 will leave this summer

we need more patience

Don't see both Lange and Gerrard staying - Unless Lange is just happy to tick over without having much input

And sorry we are already a couple of steps down te road towards starting again - Gerrard doesn't like wide players , he already said if he doesn't get what he wants of of current players - I imagine any youth player will be looking to get game time elsewhere.

Project Gerrard is already underway im afraid.

Edited by hippo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Our main owners seem to be great people, but they’re far from being experts in the football business.

They have chosen Purslow to run the club and if he tells them this the way to go, they’ll probably trust him. At least another year.

I can’t see Purslow ever taking the initiative to sack Gerrard, so if the owners want a new manager they’ll have to buy out Purslow as well.

That would be the most likely scenario, if 'Project Gerrard' fails, both Gerrard and Purslow will get the boot.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Don't see both Lange and Gerrard stating - Unless Lange is just happy to tick over without having much input

much input in to what? the job is so much more than scouting

not sure how gerrard wanting more input over transfer targets becomes the sporting director having no role at the club

do you want the boot man reporting to Gerrard? the masseuse? the guy who swaps the nike footballs for puma footballs in for training before we play a league cup match? the groundsman? they all feed in to Lange not Gerrard, imagine every role and activity that comes under sporting director, its huge

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

not sure how gerrard wanting more input over transfer targets becomes the sporting director having no role at the club

do you want the boot man reporting to Gerrard? the masseuse? the guy who swaps the nike footballs for puma footballs in for training before we play a league cup match? the groundsman? they all feed in to Lange not Gerrard, imagine every role and activity that comes under sporting director, its huge

Wait and See.

Bottom line Lange was above the head coach in the hierarchy structure. Now hes most likely below him. Depends if hes happy with that - I suspect he wouldn't be.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

This entire conversation is based off of the premise set out by the tweet that the club are considering getting rid of the Sporting Director role and instead hiring someone to help Gerrard negotiate the fees. But to put Gerrard more in control of more aspects of the club.

4 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

This entire conversation is based off of the premise set out by the tweet that the club are considering getting rid of the Sporting Director role and instead hiring someone to help Gerrard negotiate the fees. But to put Gerrard more in control of more aspects of the club.

Not really - because the very same thing was being discussed on here yesterday. Think it was in the Sanson thread.

The notion that Lange has been marginalised  isn't new. 

7 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

the premise is that we get rid of the sporting director to get a director of football despite them being the exact same thing

i think its more than just the tweeter who doesnt know what a sporting director is

even the tweet doesn't acknowledge that we have a chief scout,  gerrard wanting more input on transfer targets doesn't take food off the plate of Lange it takes it off the plate of mackenzie,

look at the villa management infrastructure in general and its the same as most businesses, we have gerrard, we have delaney, we have harrison, we have bennett as team manager, oliver as technical manager, smith as head physio, jedinak as loan player manager, mackenzie as chief scout, they all report to Lange - harrison the academy director doesn't report to steven gerrard, they're 2 different departments of aston villa of which Lange is in charge

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Only issue for me is what happens if this summer is on par with last, the key signings don't work and then Gerrard gets sacked mid season?

Do we suddenly veer back to getting another DOF in and waste another year overhauling the squad?

Honestly one of the best run clubs in whole league is Leicester, no idea if they have a DOF but that's the model we need to adopt as they don't flip flop strategies every six months.

That's when we bring in Big Sam.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I saw that tweet too and am not convinced that account is anything more than a fraud.

But that said, it does fit with signals coming out from the club. Lange seems to be more or less out of the picture already and Gerrard wanting to show results quick isn’t surprising. Tbf Purslow wanting to give Gerrard increased power wouldn’t surprise either.

Hope it’s just fantasies, because if true it would really be a recipe for disaster.

Yep - that account is full of BS. Wouldn’t believe it either. 

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

If that tweet is anywhere near true we are **** and Purslow should be kicked out straightaway

The fact he is in awe of the manager makes me feel that it could happen 

Appointing Gerrard, in itself, was arguably a move away from a long term strategy. His style and personnel required are different to Smith. This means we have to then revamp large parts of the squad to accommodate. It will be the same when we replace Gerrard. It's real short termism and will never result in long term success as a club like ours can't afford to take this approach. 

That is why I wouldn't be surprised if Gerrard was given control of transfers. If we can have a short term approach in one aspect then why not others. Its no way to run a modern football club if you want long term success. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I saw that tweet too and am not convinced that account is anything more than a fraud.

But that said, it does fit with signals coming out from the club. Lange seems to be more or less out of the picture already and Gerrard wanting to show results quick isn’t surprising. Tbf Purslow wanting to give Gerrard increased power wouldn’t surprise either.

Hope it’s just fantasies, because if true it would really be a recipe for disaster.

Indeed, don’t fatten fowl for mongoose 

I am not buying this rumour at all, or certainly that they intend to trash the whole set up and install Gerrard as some Fergie figure overseeing everything, Purslow nor the owners are that stupid or star struck surely?

Most of what has happened since the new owners arrived has been very sensible and logical. Seemingly Traore, Bailey, Buendia and Sanson are Lange buys, but they are very short of being a failure, in fact Buendia and Traore codul be regarded as a success given their stats. The whole director of football/Sporting director seems to be on balance, a success, most players have improved in value under that system.

It would seem strange to go down the MON "of the moment" system, buy players for this season only mentality: mega wages, long deals, no sell-on, this is how we started our slow death spiral in the first place.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hippo said:

For better or worse - Gerrard wants and looks to have got total control of the playing side.

I don't see this ending well tbh.

Yep - c.2006 here we come! You're the boss! Spend however much you want! Wages no obstacle!

• Like 1

Â