Johan Lange

hippo

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Yup the idea that you stick with something that isn't working because "it's the right thing to do" !!!!

Problem now is we put those like purslow, Lange on a pedestal .... "Oh they have someone lined up'.......

I don't share that. We will most likely be picking from managers that couldn't land a job in the close season....

I would say they have a list of managers that they would like at Villa. I think I have much more confidence in Villa as an attractive proposition that many, maybe my claret & blue tinted glasses. But we have the basis of a great squad, are a big club, great owners, well funded, great youth setup, great youths chomping at the bit for 1st team and second to non training facilities and we are one of only 20 teams to play in the best league in the world. I would think we will be able to attract a lot of quality managers to Villa

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I would say they have a list of managers that they would like at Villa. I think I have much more confidence in Villa as an attractive proposition that many, maybe my claret & blue tinted glasses. But we have the basis of a great squad, are a big club, great owners, well funded, great youth setup, great youths chomping at the bit for 1st team and second to non training facilities and we are one of only 20 teams to play in the best league in the world. I would think we will be able to attract a lot of quality managers to Villa

They probably have a list of good managers - that's easy.

Someone who would feasibly come mid season ? Really not sure. 

Lampard/Howe or an unknown assistant from overseas. It's got Remi Garde 2 written all over it.

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

They probably have a list of good managers - that's easy.

Someone who would feasibly come mid season ? Really not sure. 

Lampard/Howe or an unknown assistant from overseas. It's got Remi Garde 2 written all over it.

I don't see why we can't get Potter if we wanted him

6 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I agree the issue is McGinn but he did his defensive duties a lot better yesterday. The issue is he doesn't come short. You need 2 midfielders to come short and collect the ball from the defence. Luiz is the only one who does that and without him in the side we have to resort to hoofing it because we don't have anyone who gets their foot on the ball and passes it around. 

you have to have ball control to do that and Luiz has.....McGinn tends to fumble and is a target for the press.

• Like 1

Dear Johan,

Please don't react to our acute need for additional support in midfield by signing any of Spurs cast offs.

They may have a couple of England caps, and be pretty and covered in London glitter, but it's a trap.

Yours sincerely,

OBE

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 02/11/2021 at 12:00, OutByEaster? said:

Dear Johan,

Please don't react to our acute need for additional support in midfield by signing any of Spurs cast offs.

They may have a couple of England caps, and be pretty and covered in London glitter, but it's a trap.

Yours sincerely,

OBE

Or half fit french guys ! 

Oh and give JT and ROK a call. 

And take 4 weeks special leave if/when we are selecting a new head coach.

Edited by hippo

Not sure why some have started to turn on Lange. Surely Smith outlines the type of player he wants and then it is Lange and Mckenzie’s task  finding a number of players who suit the agreed criteria. he may also suggest players to Smith but it’s has been said many times that Dean gets final day on all signings … 

So when criticising our lack of options for DM Smith has never played with a midfield destroyer / enforcer in his career so why would he sign one ? I mean we all can see that’s is what is missing and the mixture in centre of midfield has been rotten since days of O’Neil but he has a certain type of midfielder he favours. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Not sure why some have started to turn on Lange. Surely Smith outlines the type of player he wants and then it is Lange and Mckenzie’s task  finding a number of players who suit the agreed criteria. he may also suggest players to Smith but it’s has been said many times that Dean gets final day on all signings … 

So when criticising our lack of options for DM Smith has never played with a midfield destroyer / enforcer in his career so why would he sign one ? I mean we all can see that’s is what is missing and the mixture in centre of midfield has been rotten since days of O’Neil but he has a certain type of midfielder he favours. 

Of all the signings since he came in I imagine that Lange recommended Traorea, Sanson and Bailey. Rest were certainly more known to Smith 

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Of all the signings since he came in I imagine that Lange recommended Traorea, Sanson and Bailey. Rest were certainly more known to Smith 

Think some fans are looking for any scapegoat but Smith and will turn on Lange even though the majority of us have not any real idea of his precise remit and powers. Think Suso was also treated harshly somewhat as well. Yes that summer wasn’t the best in hindsight but he had a hell of a task and pulled it off at the time admirably we all thought.

At present I question the formation, and tactics more than our signings so cannot see how anyone can blame Lange. Just imagine the stink if Lange was signing players over smiths head - he would surely walk if he had a player he didn’t want forced upon him. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thabucks said:

Think some fans are looking for any scapegoat but Smith and will turn on Lange even though the majority of us have not any real idea of his precise remit and powers. Think Suso was also treated harshly somewhat as well. Yes that summer wasn’t the best in hindsight but he had a hell of a task and pulled it off at the time admirably we all thought.

At present I question the formation, and tactics more than our signings so cannot see how anyone can blame Lange. Just imagine the stink if Lange was signing players over smiths head - he would surely walk if he had a player he didn’t want forced upon him. 

Really? I think we signed good players on an individual level - but the overall transfer strategy was very confused, and is the main reason we're struggling. We've been playing 3-5-2 because we signed a striker who has spent most of his career playing in a front 2.

We have too much depth in certain positions, look very thin in others, and we seem to now have a lot of injury-prone players. We also have several key players who are permanently away on international duty, which shouldn't really have come as a huge surprise?

11 hours ago, thabucks said:

suso...i can remember his thread, got really ugly when we were in the relegation scrap, the problem is that we dont know what these guys do day in day out - but we are somehow 100% certain that when the team is shit that they are doing nothing

its easy to say that lange isnt doing his job because he didnt sign another midfielder but that already forgets the summer long chase of JWP let alone not knowing how many midfielders he tried to buy but got away

there's not a single person on here that knows what lange will do today, the understanding of the role isnt there but the criticism will be, that doesnt make sense

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

suso...i can remember his thread, got really ugly when we were in the relegation scrap, the problem is that we dont know what these guys do day in day out - but we are somehow 100% certain that when the team is shit that they are doing nothing

its easy to say that lange isnt doing his job because he didnt sign another midfielder but that already forgets the summer long chase of JWP let alone not knowing how many midfielders he tried to buy but got away

there's not a single person on here that knows what lange will do today, the understanding of the role isnt there but the criticism will be, that doesnt make sense

You can't absolve him of all blame because you don't know what he does on a daily basis.

The whole point of shifting to a sporting director/head coach set up - is so there isn't a massive upheaval should the head coach leave for any reason.

However there has already been such an upheaval as we have had significant changes to our relatively successful coaching set up.

We also seem to have brought players without much thought how they will bond into a team.

Imo these areas are the remit of a sporting director.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Of course you can. We broadly know the remit of the sporting director.

no you dont

who wanted ings? chief scout, purslow, smith, NSWE or Lange?

why didnt we sign another midfielder? smith didnt want one? purslow couldnt agree a deal for one? NSWE pulled the funds? Lange didnt identify one?

we havent got a clue but we criticise him anyway? thats bollocks, same as criticising smith for not signing another midfielder when to our knowledge it might have absolutely nothing to do with smith

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

no you dont

who wanted ings? chief scout, purslow, smith, NSWE or Lange?

why didnt we sign another midfielder? smith didnt want one? purslow couldnt agree a deal for one? NSWE pulled the funds? Lange didnt identify one?

we havent got a clue but we criticise him anyway? thats bollocks, same as criticising smith for not signing another midfielder when to our knowledge it might have absolutely nothing to do with smith

You make broad assumptions. (Or not)

On 02/11/2021 at 12:00, OutByEaster? said:

Dear Johan,

Yours sincerely,

OBE

If I see Dele Alli signing in January I might just throw up.

The problem is we don’t know what instructions and constraints Lange gets from Purslow.

If Suso is to be believed (via Guillem Ballague), then Purslow leads the decision making, and the DoF is really just a chief scout, with some transfers happening separately from DoF. But that’s a disgruntled former employee, so who knows.

I think we all know that some transfers - Konsa, Jota, Watkins, and probably Cash and Targett - were driven by Smith.

What’s less clear is who drove the remaining signings. My guess is that the DoF’s job is to look outside England, so Lange was likely behind Sanson and Bailey. Purslow probably brought Ings in? But it’s all guesswork.

Anyway you can’t really say how good a job Lange has done without knowing what he was tasked with. If he said “we need a DM” but Purslow said “I don’t want to spend any more this summer” then that’s very different from Lange saying “we don’t need any more cover in midfield / defence”.

48 minutes ago, lexicon said:

You've literally just said that you don't know what he does on a daily basis.

The remit is different to what he does on a daily basis. Think tasks v objectives.

Â