Johan Lange

hippo

whats his remit then and how do you judge it as successful?

is it his job to line up the next manager?

if so he identifies the next pep, he rejects purslow's contract offer, he identifies the next klopp, purslow says the club has to stay with an english manager

apply the exact same to players, this guy could identify the next messi but the kid rejects our contract offer...how does that reflect badly on lange? he's done his job

like i said we dont have a clue what goes on so how do you possibly judge him?

50 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

whats his remit then and how do you judge it as successful?

is it his job to line up the next manager?

if so he identifies the next pep, he rejects purslow's contract offer, he identifies the next klopp, purslow says the club has to stay with an english manager

apply the exact same to players, this guy could identify the next messi but the kid rejects our contract offer...how does that reflect badly on lange? he's done his job

like i said we dont have a clue what goes on so how do you possibly judge him?

In before “he has to identify someone who will agree to join” 😋

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

In before “he has to identify someone who will agree to join” 😋

Yeah I mean if you go on a night out and you exclusively only try to chat up supermodels in the queue outside a club you can't afford to get into, then, you know, well done for trying, but not a great approach.

“This is a great opportunity to improve our football operations. We’re excited to work directly with Johan and the team to strengthen our analytics, sports science, talent recruitment and player development programmes."

That was his remit on appointment.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2020/july/Aston-Villa-Announces-Hiring-of-Johan-Lange-As-Sporting-Director/

Edited by hippo

So which of those 4 is he not doing well? 

Which of those 4 do we actually know anything about? 

For me just the player development because you can see the goings on... And we are good at it 

The sports science and analytics I don't know how anyone can comment on beyond the new appointments of people because we don't see the data 

And the transfers have so many variables out of his control that we don't know I'm not sure how you judge him on that

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

So which of those 4 is he not doing well? 

Which of those 4 do we actually know anything about? 

For me just the player development because you can see the goings on... And we are good at it 

The sports science and analytics I don't know how anyone can comment on beyond the new appointments of people because we don't see the data 

And the transfers have so many variables out of his control that we don't know I'm not sure how you judge him on that

True but we have transfer threads, threads about the board, threads about potential managers, assistant managers, threads about the club finances......

1 minute ago, hippo said:

True but we have transfer threads, threads about the board, threads about potential managers, assistant managers, threads about the club finances......

We had a what does purslow actually do discussion last week...

No one is safe when the team is doing badly 

But this position for me is the one that is the most important that we then know the least about so he gets an easy ride 

48 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yeah I mean if you go on a night out and you exclusively only try to chat up supermodels in the queue outside a club you can't afford to get into, then, you know, well done for trying, but not a great approach.

As someone who has dated several women way out of my league before, you never know how she'll respond until you ask for her number.  You'd be surprised to know just how little extremely beautiful women actually get approached, because of  the fact that most guys already assume they have no chance to begin with.  Pretty sure the same thing applies to recruiting footballers.  Teams below the Top 6 in the table have signed some fantastic players over the years and ESR/JWP were definitely within our capability of buying this summer.  Ambitious, but not out of our reach.  I don't think the negotiations between Arsenal/Southampton and Villa went as well as Lange/Purslow had hoped to make a transfer fee within our budget possible, plus Jack himself was a huge draw for potential signings.  I'd much rather go after players like we signed this summer (Buendia, Ings, & Bailey) vs just paying a premium for the best non-promoted Championship players each summer.  

Edited by KMitch
Engrish

51 minutes ago, KMitch said:

As someone who has dated several women way out of my league before, you never know how she'll respond until you ask for her number.  You'd be surprised to know just how little extremely beautiful women actually get approached, because of  the fact that most guys already assume they have no chance to begin with.  Pretty sure the same thing applies to recruiting footballers.  Teams below the Top 6 in the table have signed some fantastic players over the years and ESR/JWP were definitely within our capability of buying this summer.  Ambitious, but not out of our reach.  I don't think the negotiations between Arsenal/Southampton and Villa went as well as Lange/Purslow had hoped to make a transfer fee within our budget possible, plus Jack himself was a huge draw for potential signings.  I'd much rather go after players like we signed this summer (Buendia, Ings, & Bailey) vs just paying a premium for the best non-promoted Championship players each summer.  

She do any tricks ?

On 02/11/2021 at 12:00, OutByEaster? said:

Dear Johan,

Please don't react to our acute need for additional support in midfield by signing any of Spurs cast offs.

They may have a couple of England caps, and be pretty and covered in London glitter, but it's a trap.

Yours sincerely,

OBE

Bravo.

At this point in time Bailey and Buendia are looking a bit dodgy. 

Ings is a good signing obviously but a schoolkid could have called that. 

As it stands I think he's got some questions to answer. 

We need to see if another manager can use them better and get a song out of them but I am concerned that we've pissed away a chunk of the Grealish cash. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

On 23/10/2021 at 04:51, Tomaszk said:

Wonder if he has a shortlist of managers hanging around at all times?

He probably should have something to hand I'd imagine.

Hopefully won't be needed.

It's needed.

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

At this point in time Bailey and Buendia are looking a bit dodgy. 

Ings is a good signing obviously but a schoolkid could have called that. 

As it stands I think he's got some questions to answer. 

We need to see if another manager can use them better and get a song out of them but I am concerned that we've pissed away a chunk of the Grealish cash. 

I see it the other way. Bailey and Buendia are both good signings who will likely come good and really add to the squad. I just never understood why we signed Ings. If he was bought as genuine competition for Ollie and we followed it up by addressing our woeful midfield, then fair enough. That doesn’t appear to be the case.

Trying to shoe horn Ings into the team has totally destroyed everything. Ollie looks a shell of a player. Our wide forwards are blowing after 15 minutes due to the work expected of them. Our already powderpuff midfield is under even greater pressure and incapable of doing anything well. This creates pressure on the defence. We cannot sustain possession in the opposition half which makes it difficult to create anything and thus we resort to hopeless hoof ball! There just does not seem to be a plan!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Worked with Solbakken a few times 🤮😂

I actually thought of him worryingly.

It's going to be Gerrard because Purslow wants him or more of an unknown.

Either way I'm not certain either will get a tune out of this team without a midfield.

If Smith is being stubborn over Sanson when we're this thin it could cost him his job.

37 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I see it the other way. Bailey and Buendia are both good signings who will likely come good and really add to the squad. I just never understood why we signed Ings. If he was bought as genuine competition for Ollie and we followed it up by addressing our woeful midfield, then fair enough. That doesn’t appear to be the case.

Trying to shoe horn Ings into the team has totally destroyed everything. Ollie looks a shell of a player. Our wide forwards are blowing after 15 minutes due to the work expected of them. Our already powderpuff midfield is under even greater pressure and incapable of doing anything well. This creates pressure on the defence. We cannot sustain possession in the opposition half which makes it difficult to create anything and thus we resort to hopeless hoof ball! There just does not seem to be a plan!

Spot on. It's a domino effect throughout the team. 

• Like 1

He's Danish isn't he? Can't he go and tap up the Denmark manager?

We moan it's impossible to win without G***lish, look at their results since Eriksen couldn't play anymore.

Not sure what his record is like at club level but that would be exciting appointment for me with football they're playing. I bet Brentford have him on their radar for 2-3 years time.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He's Danish isn't he? Can't he go and tap up the Denmark manager?

We moan it's impossible to win without G***lish, look at their results since Eriksen couldn't play anymore.

Not sure what his record is like at club level but that would be exciting appointment for me with football they're playing. I bet Brentford have him on their radar for 2-3 years time.

Pretty poor in the Bundesliga and was sacked early on but did OK in Denmark. Managed Okore

• Like 1

Â