Johan Lange

hippo

27 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm not sure he has ignored it as we have been heavily linked with signing one.  We seem to maybe have been aiming too high with our targets and been unable to get them.  I think it's why the club went with Gerrard to attract bigger names over a better coach.

The fact he wasted a summer chasing Smith Rowe and Ward Prowse when it was obvious they wasn’t coming is another reason. We are way above his level. He was a SD at Copenhagen ffs. Probably had a budget of around £5m a season. Don’t let this guy waste anymore money and time chasing unattainable players!

Edited by WHY
  • Like 1

Said it in the the transfer thread, We weee a championship team in dire straits on and off the pitch not so long ago. Now 3/4 seasons in, with a new manager some players signed during this period will be replaced with better players. That’s how football works universally…  

Also the sporting director should only sign the type of player the manager wants ultimately. So the lack of physical, technically proficient ball winning / playing, dominant defensive midfielder is on Smith and calling for Lange to go is just stupid IMO.

Lange has had a huge undertaking in putting an infrastructure in place to build a bank of knowledge, data and will only get bigger as the net widens and deepens, but crucially as time passes as he cannot be judged this early into the project. 

I don't get this talk of wasting a summer trying to Smith Rowe or Ward Prowse, just because newspapers are linking us to players doesn't mean that we're wasting time trying to sign them, or even if we are trying to sign them it doesn't mean to say we aren't also working on others deals, in fact I'm pretty sure the club in a transfer window will be working on multiple deals at any given time, it's not as if they can only work on transfer at a time, we'd already signed Buendia and Bailey when we were being linked to Smith Rowe, so it didn't stop us signing those and I'm not even sure we were ever in for Ward Prowse I don't think there were ever any credible links, and even if we were it wouldn't have stopped us from working on other targets.

• Like 2

Just now, thabucks said:

Said it in the the transfer thread, We weee a championship team in dire straits on and off the pitch not so long ago. Now 3/4 seasons in, with a new manager some players signed during this period will be replaced with better players. That’s how football works universally…  

Also the sporting director should only sign the type of player the manager wants ultimately. So the lack of physical, technically proficient ball winning / playing, dominant defensive midfielder is on Smith and calling for Lange to go is just stupid IMO.

Lange has had a huge undertaking in putting an infrastructure in place to build a bank of knowledge, data and will only get bigger as the net widens and deepens, but crucially as time passes as he cannot be judged this early into the project. 

You think Smith decided to not sign a defensive midfielder and to spend big money on a second striker having played one up front for his entire time at the club? 

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't get this talk of wasting a summer trying to Smith Rowe or Ward Prowse, just because newspapers are linking us to players doesn't mean that we're wasting time trying to sign them, or even if we are trying to sign them it doesn't mean to say we aren't also working on others deals, in fact I'm pretty sure the club in a transfer window will be working on multiple deals at any given time, it's not as if they can only work on transfer at a time, we'd already signed Buendia and Bailey when we were being linked to Smith Rowe, so it didn't stop us signing those and I'm not even sure we were ever in for Ward Prowse I don't think there were ever any credible links, and even if we were it wouldn't have stopped us from working on other targets.

Would you be happy with a manager from a 3rd rate European league managing our club, of course you wouldn’t. So wtf should we be happy with a SD from a 3rd rate club. In the grand scheme of things he’s more important than anyone at the club. 

Edited by WHY

1 hour ago, tom_avfc said:

You think Smith decided to not sign a defensive midfielder and to spend big money on a second striker having played one up front for his entire time at the club? 

No I believe that one is more likely to be on Purslow but also YES I believe Dean would’ve signed off on that and every transfer. Smith would’ve been integral to recruitment and he would’ve asked for a certain type of player - he favoured a Luiz type DM hence we have one. He wanted a more defensive one and we got Nakamba … 

Edited by thabucks

12 hours ago, useless said:

We're back to suso

We don't really know what he does or what his day to day job entails

But we obviously do know that he's not very good at it

Since Lange came to Villa we’ve only signed a handful of players so there’s not much to go by. And since Gerrard came the impression is he’s been the one deciding.

That would make Sanson, Bailey, Buendia, Ings, Young and Tuanzebe the only ”real” Lange signings.

20 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Since Lange came to Villa we’ve only signed a handful of players so there’s not much to go by. And since Gerrard came the impression is he’s been the one deciding.

That would make Sanson, Bailey, Buendia, Ings, Young and Tuanzebe the only ”real” Lange signings.

Decent additions if actually used and used correctly.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, allani said:

And then Luiz concedes possession twice on the edge of their box...

yes .....and in addition, Konsa fails in the air twice to clear long balls, which lead to goals, just not winning duels......that bit is too passive.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Tuanzebe I think was a Smith signing and Ings was definitely a Purslow but Lange did sign Traore

Just now, messi11 said:

Massively overspent on Buendia and Bailey two right wingers who replaced the left winger Jack Grealish. Great Director

Can’t agree, I still think Buendia is a great buy and it’s a shame he hasn’t got a place in our team.  Bailey has been injured mostly but was admired before coming here, has some great talents including massive pace which we don’t have elsewhere.  Once match fit and ready could be a real asset if stays.  I don’t think either were overpriced or bad buys and can play in different positions.  The new manager doesn’t play a system that fits those players but that doesn’t make them bad or overpriced buys at the time.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Tuanzebe I think was a Smith signing and Ings was definitely a Purslow but Lange did sign Traore

Difficult to know who is more influential in each signing. Lange had just started when the club signed Martinez, Cash and Watkins, if he gets credit for those his time here looks a bit better.

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Needs to stand up and be counted and go to the board to end this Gerrard experiment since Purslow wont 

Why on earth would he do that?

So let’s assume your ridiculous ‘scenario’ happens, he would make his position untenable.

You don’t like Gerrard, we get it, you drone on and on about it on a daily basis, but you just make yourself look foolish with posts like this.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Woody1000 said:

Why on earth would he do that?

So let’s assume your ridiculous ‘scenario’ happens, he would make his position untenable.

You don’t like Gerrard, we get it, you drone on and on about it on a daily basis, but you just make yourself look foolish with posts like this.

Eh he is the sporting director it should have been his job to find the right manager and to say that this manager isnt uo to the task.

He has been completely undermined since Gerrard came in especially since the manager wont play his signings

3 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

and how many of them have pulled up trees.

Â