Johan Lange

hippo

10 hours ago, hippo said:

Don't see both Lange and Gerrard staying - Unless Lange is just happy to tick over without having much input

And sorry we are already a couple of steps down te road towards starting again - Gerrard doesn't like wide players , he already said if he doesn't get what he wants of of current players - I imagine any youth player will be looking to get game time elsewhere.

Project Gerrard is already underway im afraid.

THANK YOU.....

keeping him is starting again, getting rid is carrying on with the project from last season.

On 09/11/2021 at 08:01, allani said:

Not sure that Sanson is the answer though.  We need a midfielder who can help us get and maintain control of the midfield.  I am not sure that Sanson is that type of midfielder.  He's always looked to me like he is competition for McGinn.  I also don't think that ESR or JWP fit the model of what we need.  We didn't seem to get linked to any midfielders who fit the number 6 role.  I guess the question is whether it is the DOF's job to set up the formation and Dean was having to put players into positions or whether Dean was saying I need an "attacking" central midfielder.  Nothing Dean said ever suggested that he was unhappy about having to play Doug or McGinn in the roles they are playing.  As far as I can tell he's never once shown frustration that he was having to play square pegs in round holes.  Which makes me assume (which is always dangerous!) that Dean wanted a more creative third midfielder so that Jack wasn't our only outlet going forwards and so that when he was injured it didn't leave a huge hole and that he was confident that the Luiz / McGinn partnership didn't need attention.

Either way I just hope that whoever comes in either (a) finds a way to get McGinn / Luiz functioning or (b) identifies that central midfield is our main issue.  Our creative players are wasted when all we do is play long balls down the channels and our defenders are constantly under pressure because the opposition have too much of the ball and our midfielders fail to track their man very well.  A stabilising influence in the middle of the park will transform our team massively almost overnight.  Then we can start worrying about upgrading / improving competition in other positions.

and here we are 6 months later, saying much the same thing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

THANK YOU.....

keeping him is starting again, getting rid is carrying on with the project from last season.

and that produced a disaster of results.🙃

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

and that produced a disaster of results.🙃

But it didn’t, at that time we had a crazy amount of players out and lost 5 in a row I think?

Gerrard has gone through similar runs twice already.

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

But it didn’t, at that time we had a crazy amount of players out and lost 5 in a row I think?

Gerrard has gone through similar runs twice already.

Which is the point different managers, same players....same results pattern.

7 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Not really, every window brings in minimum 3-4 new players, even last January….

That maybe so, but the trick is bringing in the right players, to address the issues.....and we don't, every window from the past half dozen windows.

2 players playing in the first team, but the team is just the same....The character of the team hasn't changed and the real issue midfield, remains.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

the trick is bringing in the right players, to address the issues.....and we don't, every window from the past half dozen windows.

It goes back further than that - Villa have a history of bringing in the right player 2 windows too late, after the players that made him the right player had been sold - long before Lange

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, og1874 said:

It goes back further than that - Villa have a history of bringing in the right player 2 windows too late, after the players that made him the right player had been sold - long before Lange

good point, to add.

1 hour ago, og1874 said:

Robbie Keane was over a decade too late :D  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Robbie Keane was over a decade too late :D  

The Bent one always irks me. Have the two most on form wingers in the league? Sign Heskey. Sign Darren Bent? Sell both the wingers.

3 hours ago, og1874 said:

The Bent one always irks me. Have the two most on form wingers in the league? Sign Heskey. Sign Darren Bent? Sell both the wingers.

We also don't replace our best players we sell on for value well...

Sell Milner, replace with Ireland

Sell Young and Downing, replace with N'Zogbia

Sell Delph, replace with Veretout (Who became good, but not for us)

Sell Benteke, replace with Gestede

On 05/04/2022 at 03:01, TRO said:

and here we are 6 months later, saying much the same thing.

I do think that from what SG has been saying in recent weeks that we will see changes in the centre of midfield over the summer.  Until we get that sorted it is impossible to assess whether other areas of the team need to be addressed.  We've seen the weakness already in the Spurs match - midfield bypassed, a (not very good) headed clearance from a defender finds an opposition midfielder in loads of space with our midfielders standing still 5 yards further up the pitch.  Our midfield is not good enough defensively, not capable of dominating the ball when we have it and too quick to give the ball away either through stupid passes putting team mates under pressure or trying ridiculous Hollywood passes.  Until the likes of McGinn and Luiz are starting matches on the bench we will never be any better than a lower mid-table team aiming to finish 10th.

3 minutes ago, allani said:

I do think that from what SG has been saying in recent weeks that we will see changes in the centre of midfield over the summer.  Until we get that sorted it is impossible to assess whether other areas of the team need to be addressed.  We've seen the weakness already in the Spurs match - midfield bypassed, a (not very good) headed clearance from a defender finds an opposition midfielder in loads of space with our midfielders standing still 5 yards further up the pitch.  Our midfield is not good enough defensively, not capable of dominating the ball when we have it and too quick to give the ball away either through stupid passes putting team mates under pressure or trying ridiculous Hollywood passes.  Until the likes of McGinn and Luiz are starting matches on the bench we will never be any better than a lower mid-table team aiming to finish 10th.

And to prove my point McGinn has had three chances to release the pressure in the last 90 seconds and every time he has given the ball straight to a Spurs player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, allani said:

And to prove my point McGinn has had three chances to release the pressure in the last 90 seconds and every time he has given the ball straight to a Spurs player.

And then Luiz concedes possession twice on the edge of their box...

3 minutes ago, WHY said:

Should be sacked for not addressing the DM position. It’s been obvious for the past 3 seasons and ignoring it, is criminal.

I'm not sure he has ignored it as we have been heavily linked with signing one.  We seem to maybe have been aiming too high with our targets and been unable to get them.  I think it's why the club went with Gerrard to attract bigger names over a better coach.

Â