Johan Lange

hippo

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Out of the £200m odd we’ve spent under his guidance, is Buendia the only “success” (and even then he’s inconsistent as ****)?

Martinez, Watkins and Cash have all been better signings than Buendia IMO

2 minutes ago, WHY said:

Shouldn’t be anywhere near a club our size, like Gerrard hasn’t the experience needed. 

Should have done everything to get Dan Ashworth. But Newcastle did that. We all know how it's going to end up.

• Like 1

Have to admit that I may have been wrong about him. He deserves credit for the no-nonsense way the club signs players and further developing our academy, but the Gerrard appointment is not looking good (though Purslow had a lot to do with the signing) and it's starting to become evident that we are recruiting individual players (Ings, Coutinho, possibly Sarr) and not considering tactics and balance of the team.

5 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Have to admit that I may have been wrong about him. He deserves credit for the no-nonsense way the club signs players and further developing our academy, but the Gerrard appointment is not looking good (though Purslow had a lot to do with the signing) and it's starting to become evident that we are recruiting individual players (Ings, Coutinho, possibly Sarr) and not considering tactics and balance of the team.

Yeah I wouldn't blame Lange for this appointment. It obviously wasn't him.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah I reckon Lange is the least of our problems.

I think he's very competent.

I would say he is as much to blame as anyone with he being the Sporting Director, arguably has the most important role at the club. Personally think our transfer business has been a bit all over the place in terms of the type of players we have signed. Doesn’t seem to be any real planning and strategy involved. Hasn’t addressed the most obvious problem we have had, midfield. He’s completely out his depth imo, he’s used to dealing with a £5m budget at his previous club! 

23 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

They came in the same window, summer of 2020. That’s also when Lange arrived. Not sure if he was involved in those transfers.

He definitely was involved, he arrived before any of our signings that summer

49 minutes ago, WHY said:

I would say he is as much to blame as anyone with he being the Sporting Director, arguably has the most important role at the club. Personally think our transfer business has been a bit all over the place in terms of the type of players we have signed. Doesn’t seem to be any real planning and strategy involved. Hasn’t addressed the most obvious problem we have had, midfield. He’s completely out his depth imo, he’s used to dealing with a £5m budget at his previous club! 

I think Lange will gather data, seek out what we need, according to a brief and then put forward suggestions.

Green light will need to come from Purslow, and I'm sure Lange doesn't have a final say on the signings.

Even though he is probably briefed with getting them done.

Surely there will be times he makes a suggestion and is overruled as well.

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think Lange will gather data, seek out what we need, according to a brief and then put forward suggestions.

Green light will need to come from Purslow, and I'm sure Lange doesn't have a final say on the signings.

I believe you are more or less right. But that would mean Lange is in fact a fairly powerless sporting director.

At many others club that have a director of fotball/sporting director, that person will have final say on things like transfers. They would have a budget to work from, with money assigned from the board, and freedom and responsibility within the budget frame.

Lange has data analysts working for him and if his job is basically compiling data and presenting lists of transfer candidates, his role is quite limited.

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think Gerrard seems to be pushing for certain players and am not sure how much input lange had in the majority of our recent signings. 

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Our chief scout and data analysts will gather the data... 

Its complete guesswork but I would guess that lange with Gerrard identifies gaps in the squad based on how Gerrard wants to play, for example we need a pacey winger who can chase down aimless long balls, the scouts watch football, the data analysts pull up speed and running stat comparisons, lange puts the feelers out to various clubs and agents, then it all comes together as a shortlist and as a committee they decide they like sarr 

The role of lange as sporting director is he has to organise all the moving parts, might be 5 to 15 people involved and he ultimately manages all those people 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Lange has data analysts working for him and if his job is basically compiling data and presenting lists of transfer candidates, his role is quite limited.

In theory he should do all things related to football operations 

The coach that drove the players to Selhurst Park yesterday would be organised by someone who reports to someone who reports to lange 

We only seem to focus on the big obvious bits like transfers but it's a huge job 

The academy comes under his umbrella for example 

53 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be honest I always thought the Sporting Director was in control of scouting of players, transfers and long term strategy of the club, if Lange isn’t then I don’t see the point in him. It’s like he’s gets a free pass if things don’t work. 

Â