Johan Lange

hippo

12 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

https://twitter.com/villamole1/status/1510691474236661770?s=21&t=AtEWEw_TJKG8J01MSloW9A

Apologies if this did not embed properly, I saw this tweet not from the best source tbh. However they did get the Coutinho news spot on and the Gerrard announcement. 

I’m a bit worried if they give Gerrard free reign on what transfers we bring in and who we sell. I know questions need to be asked of Lange, but I would not be surprised if Purslow had his say in our dealings. 

If this is true it does feel like Lange is the fall guy.

I saw that tweet too and am not convinced that account is anything more than a fraud.

But that said, it does fit with signals coming out from the club. Lange seems to be more or less out of the picture already and Gerrard wanting to show results quick isn’t surprising. Tbf Purslow wanting to give Gerrard increased power wouldn’t surprise either.

Hope it’s just fantasies, because if true it would really be a recipe for disaster.

• Like 2

If that tweet is anywhere near true we are **** and Purslow should be kicked out straightaway

The fact he is in awe of the manager makes me feel that it could happen 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I saw that tweet too and am not convinced that account is anything more than a fraud.

But that said, it does fit with signals coming out from the club. Lange seems to be more or less out of the picture already and Gerrard wanting to show results quick isn’t surprising. Tbf Purslow wanting to give Gerrard increased power wouldn’t surprise either.

Hope it’s just fantasies, because if true it would really be a recipe for disaster.

That is my fear, I would really hate for us to change everything that can hamstring us in the future. We have come so far for us to p*ss it away for short term gain. I'm not saying Lange is a saint, we do need to review his position in my opinion. However I would want to make sure if we are replacing him, it would be for a quality DOF that can compliment our set up.  Our owners are savvy which helps so if this rumour is true and the worst happens, hopefully they can intervene.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If that tweet is anywhere near true we are **** and Purslow should be kicked out straightaway

The fact he is in awe of the manager makes me feel that it could happen 

Managers are expected to chase quick fixes, since they can get sacked anytime. That’s why you need a powerful DoF or at least a board/ceo to think about the future, resale values, FFP and so on.

When the manager wants to spend big on older players, the DoF or board should hold back a little to strike a healthy balance.

A ceo giving the manager carte blanche would destroy any such balance.

• Like 1

That 'villamole' account is known for making things up and being unreliable, has even been called out by people who work at the club, yet people still believe them for some reason, also claims in their bio to have revealed the names of the owners, I know that's not true as I was constantly on twitter and other websites at the time looking for news and was well aware of that account back then, and they never revealed the name of the new owners, as I don't think any other did until they were announced on the official website.

The thing with that account is that they don't just come across as someone pretending to be 'ITK', but as if they genuinely believe what they're saying.

Also if Lange was to go in the summer, which I don't think will happen, it wouldn't be to allow Gerrard to be in control of transfers, he would be replaced by another Sporting Director that our owners think would do a better job. I think people are very naive if they think Gerrard's been brought in just because he's Purslow's friend and Purslow is going to let him have full control over the club abandoning everything that's been put in place, navie to think Purslow would allow that to happen even more naive to think the owners would let it happen.

I know some want to put a negative spin on absolutely everything at the moment just because of some fanatical hatred of Gerrard as the manger, but we happen to be a well run club at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

That 'villamole' account is known for making things up and being unreliable, has even been called out by people who work at the club, yet people still believe them for some reason, also claims in their bio to have revealed the names of the owners, I know that's not true as I was constantly on twitter and other websites at the time looking for news and was well aware of that account back then, and they never revealed the name of the new owners, as I don't think any other did until they were announced on the official website.

The thing with that account is that they don't just come across as someone pretending to be 'ITK', but as if they genuinely believe what they're saying.

Also if Lange was to go in the summer, which I don't think will happen, it wouldn't be to allow Gerrard to be in control of transfers, he would be replaced by another Sporting Director that our owners think would do a better job. I think people are very naive if they think Gerrard's been brought in just because he's Purslow's friend and Purslow is going to let him have full control over the club abandoning everything that's been put in place, navie to think Purslow would allow that to happen even more naive to think the owners would let it happen.

I know some want to put a negative spin on absolutely everything at the moment just because of some fanatical hatred of Gerrard as the manger, but we happen to be a well run club at the moment.

Yeah tbh for the last couple transfer windows I've seen that they do hint towards things happening, not in a speculative way either almost as a definitive. They have had stuff right sometimes I guess, but just like most 'ITK' they guess 100 different things and get 20 right then delete the remaining 80 tweets.

From my end, I do trust the board however I have a bit of PTSD from the Lerner era. Nothing from NSWE has suggested that things will be the same, because we are well run right now. I hope that continues, I would hope that if we are replacing Lange then we go after a DOF similar to Dan Ashworth.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rustibrooks said:

Yeah tbh for the last couple transfer windows I've seen that they do hint towards things happening, not in a speculative way either almost as a definitive. They have had stuff right sometimes I guess, but just like most 'ITK' they guess 100 different things and get 20 right then delete the remaining 80 tweets.

From my end, I do trust the board however I have a bit of PTSD from the Lerner era. Nothing from NSWE has suggested that things will be the same, because we are well run right now. I hope that continues, I would hope that if we are replacing Lange then we go after a DOF similar to Dan Ashworth.

Think Ashworth has signed for Newcastle but is on gardening leave now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sporting director and DOF are the same thing aren't they? Just a different title which leads me to believe that tweet is bollocks 

Gerrard might be given more input over transfer targets but that doesn't mean Lange is shown the door

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Sporting director and DOF are the same thing aren't they? Just a different title which leads me to believe that tweet is bollocks 

Gerrard might be given more input over transfer targets but that doesn't mean Lange is shown the door

Yeah they are pretty much the same thing I believe.

Also any suggestions IF we were to replace Lange? Luis Campos?

Campos at Monaco signed Fabinho, Martial, Bernardo Silva, Thomas Lemar and unfortunately the predator that now plays for Man City. At Lille he signed Leao, Pepe, Gabriel and Osimhen.

That's a decent lot of players he's picked up and also that were sold for a good profit. 

I don't want us becoming a selling club (even though majority of the teams in the prem are), however I would like us to maximise our sales.

2 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Yeah they are pretty much the same thing I believe.

Also any suggestions IF we were to replace Lange? Luis Campos?

Campos at Monaco signed Fabinho, Martial, Bernardo Silva, Thomas Lemar and unfortunately the predator that now plays for Man City. At Lille he signed Leao, Pepe, Gabriel and Osimhen.

That's a decent lot of players he's picked up and also that were sold for a good profit. 

I don't want us becoming a selling club (even though majority of the teams in the prem are), however I would like us to maximise our sales.

He is a Jorge Mendes man or its a huge coincidence who he signs 😉 so would imagine Wolves have first option

Edited by Zatman

Disaster waiting to happen if Gerrard & Purslow make this happen.

They can't be trusted. Purslows intervention got us Ings because he got desperate for a name.

I'm sure Gerrard will sign good players but he's working to a clock of 2024. We can't let him throw the kitchen sink at winning the Liverpool job on 29+ on £200k wages in the hope it all clicks. If it doesn't, we'll have wasted everything. Carney won't be the last of the big academy talents to think we're prioritising winning now over development.

I'm highly concerned. We need somebody who can play Gerrard and will work with him to keep him happy and back him but also be highly determined to grow the club sensibly and find a balance. That is not giving more power to the manager.

Obviously he's passed away but I feel Houllier would've been ideal. Wenger would be class but not going to come here. 

I'm so so against this if it was to happen.

• Like 1

Isn’t that Villamole account the one that claimed promotion was so unlikely under Dean Smith he would get a Dean Smith tattoo on his arse if they did manage it? It was a pinned tweet for a while, think he was called “thatcherlover” at the time.

Anyway, when I see a tweet from that account it’s usually having a dig at those who are questioning Gerrard. Quite right, because you wouldn’t catch him dismissing the ability of a manager early on and making a stupid declaration to reinforce that stance.

Only issue for me is what happens if this summer is on par with last, the key signings don't work and then Gerrard gets sacked mid season?

Do we suddenly veer back to getting another DOF in and waste another year overhauling the squad?

Honestly one of the best run clubs in whole league is Leicester, no idea if they have a DOF but that's the model we need to adopt as they don't flip flop strategies every six months.

Don't know anything about Luis Campos, but doubt he will be going to Wolves, their owners have seriously reigned in the spending, talk that they want out, which is why they now have to sell their best players to fund transfers, their fans actually seem unhappy with their overall situation, Lage has over performed with their current squad which has papered over the cracks, but not sure if the longer term future is looking particularly great for them.

Might be an educated guess - but people were speculating on the same thing on another thread only yesterday.

For better or worse - Gerrard wants and looks to have got total control of the playing side.

I don't see this ending well tbh.

11 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Disaster waiting to happen if Gerrard & Purslow make this happen.

They can't be trusted. Purslows intervention got us Ings because he got desperate for a name.

I'm sure Gerrard will sign good players but he's working to a clock of 2024. We can't let him throw the kitchen sink at winning the Liverpool job on 29+ on £200k wages in the hope it all clicks. If it doesn't, we'll have wasted everything. Carney won't be the last of the big academy talents to think we're prioritising winning now over development.

I'm highly concerned. We need somebody who can play Gerrard and will work with him to keep him happy and back him but also be highly determined to grow the club sensibly and find a balance. That is not giving more power to the manager.

Obviously he's passed away but I feel Houllier would've been ideal. Wenger would be class but not going to come here. 

I'm so so against this if it was to happen.

If SG doesn't get us into Europe or at least wins a trophy, he isn't getting the Liverpool job in 2024. If Kloop decides to leave in 2024, Liverpool will have the pick of any elite manager in world football.  Legend or not, the Liverpool owners won't pick Klopp's replacement on sentiment, you only have to look at Lampard and Ole to see that doesn't work at the level they are at. 

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

If SG doesn't get us into Europe or at least wins a trophy, he isn't getting the Liverpool job in 2024. If Kloop decides to leave in 2024, Liverpool will have the pick of any elite manager in world football.  Legend or not, the Liverpool owners won't pick Klopp's replacement on sentiment, you only have to look at Lampard and Ole to see that doesn't work at the level they are at. 

No I know; that's my point. Letting him throw the kitchen sink at it because he wants us in Europe by 2024 -with, from this hypothetical proposal, no oversight from anybody else, just a mate to help negotiate the fees - is a disaster waiting to happen.

If he doesn't get Europe, we'll be sacking him anyway, if he does, there's an outside chance he gets the Liverpool job. 

But if he doesn't get Europe, he gets sacked and we have an entire set up based entirely around Project Stevie G.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Sorry Mate.

But unless Gerrard is anything other than a disaster here - the clamour for an Anfield return would be unbearable.

He will be Liverpool manager soon enough. It's probably the most predictable thing in football right now.

Â