Johan Lange

hippo

20 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

With our bloated recruitment department you would think they could have come up with better than the last two signings we made.

What the hell do these guys do all day?

We have no scouts. thats why they put a job ad up looking for a scout. 

Just saw the Maxwell Cornet VAR and was reminded that like Traore he was also a Lyon castoff.  Burnley sold him for 17m to West Ham after he scored 9 goals last season.  I believe Berti scored 7 goals and had 6 assists for us 2 seasons back, yet the best we could do is loan him to A Turkish club. 

Edited by nepal_villan

33 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Just saw the Maxwell Cornet VAR and was reminded that like Traore he was also a Lyon castoff.  Burnley sold him for 17m to West Ham after he scored 9 goals last season.  I believe Berti scored 7 goals and had 6 assists for us 2 seasons back, yet the best we could do is loan him to A Turkish club. 

Because Cornet is a much better player.

We paid ~£17m for Traore when we could have got him for £5-8m. If we couldn't, we should have moved on. He'd had a terrible season and we go and blow that money on him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Because Cornet is a much better player.

We paid ~£17m for Traore when we could have got him for £5-8m. If we couldn't, we should have moved on. He'd had a terrible season and we go and blow that money on him.

The big issue with Traore I think is that he spent basically the whole season out with various injuries and niggles last season, teams aren't going to risk big money on someone when there are serious question marks over their fitness. I think had we sold him after his first season we'd have got decent money back for him 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I"m surprised there isn't more criticism of Lange at the moment.

He's responsible for the underlying footballing principles of the club, he has a very big say in the selection of managers, and in the signing of players. He's our number one football based executive.

If he's doing that job well, we're not where we are at the moment.

If he's being prevented from doing that job, sidelined by the manager or overpowered by the CEO on sporting matters, then you'd ask why he's stayed on.

The decisions should be his, if they aren't, he's a puppet and should be resigning, if they are, then he's made some stinkers and should be under a lot of pressure..

I agree, Lange does seem to be Teflon coated. I guess ultimately his influence might not be seen as quickly as a manager, but then you see Newcastle’s new guy Ashworth come in and they are quickly flying up the table. I am not convinced that he is the best we could have got when we appointed him.

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's responsible for the underlying footballing principles of the club, he has a very big say in the selection of managers, and in the signing of players. He's our number one football based executive.

If he's being prevented from doing that job, sidelined by the manager or overpowered by the CEO on sporting matters, then you'd ask why he's stayed on.

The decisions should be his, if they aren't, he's a puppet and should be resigning, if they are, then he's made some stinkers and should be under a lot of pressure..

It’s been bizarre since Jack pulled the rug. Actually, it was bizarre when we started playing with the coaches. Sad to say it feels like we need a total clean slate on the football side - and some real lines drawn too. Our strategy is all over the place.

On 04/09/2022 at 13:13, nepal_villan said:

It’s because we don’t sell at the right time. We should’ve sold El Ghazi directly after he scored 10, yet we wait until everyone notices that the player isn’t wanted. If I was in charge, I would’ve sold Trez in our second season (winter), El Ghazi at the end of that season. 
Watkins and McGinn last summer. 

That wouldn’t have damaged our squad at all (unless if there was a big injury crises).

When clubs knows how the players is important for you and how he’s potentially good (such as Chuk), they’ll spend good amount.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

he's being prevented from doing that job, sidelined by the manager or overpowered by the CEO on sporting matters, then you'd ask why he's stayed on.

Yep I said a while ago that Lange needed to grow some balls, either to assert the previous Villa way or to walk out because he's getting overruled by Gerrard/Purslow

40 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I still don’t know what this guy actually does.

In theory everything football related

The coach that takes the players to the away game all the way through to the manager... All of that should be under his umbrella

If it was construction or manufacturing he'd be director of operations or production

Marketing, HR, finance, IT, catering at VP etc all come under purslow, the guy who puts the cones out at bmh every morning comes under lange

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

My guess is Lange is being sidelined by Gerrard/Purslow. For example, when Purslow explained in a Sky interview how Gerrard had come to him wanting to sign older players, which Purslow gave his blessing.

But since Lange is still responsible for recruitment at least on paper, he should take the consequences of that and resign immediately.

• Like 3

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

My guess is Lange is being sidelined by Gerrard/Purslow. For example, when Purslow explained in a Sky interview how Gerrard had come to him wanting to sign older players, which Purslow gave his blessing.

But since Lange is still responsible for recruitment at least on paper, he should take the consequences of that and resign immediately.

This for me, Lange has been completely sidelined because Purslow has given Gerrard too much power. Of our signings in 2022 Olsen, Augustinsson and maybe Kamara and Carlos are Lange suggestions. Not sure who or what came up with Bednarek and Dendoncker but highly doubt its from our analytics department

Lange should really grow a backbone and by the sounds of it he wanted Sarr while Gerrard didnt which means he is sick of it or he was already aware Gerrard would be sacked soon

Â