The survival thread!

Genie

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I'm absolutely relieved we stayed up and looking forward to next season.

I will celebrate when we win things. Not for staying up. Call me a bad fan I don't care.

You've literally shown more delight with what leeds have done all year. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

It was a great achievement to stay up and I myself was extremely happy, but a club our size should celebrate when we actually win something or finish in the top 4, not by staying up by the skin of our teeth. But I can see why people did, given how we looked doomed for the last 2 or 3 weeks of the season and everyone had written us off. It was a minor miracle we survived really, given where we were, but we have to push on to greater things now we’ve carved out this opportunity.

We've just spent 3 years in the championship, came up via the playoffs and the last season we spent in the prem league was almost record breakingly bad. It's all about perspective. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, hippo said:

I would have thought there plan would be to only sell some of there better players to keep the books straight.

Would have Bournemouth as quite clear favourites to bounce back.

Think Watford have a far better squad to bounce back with than Bournemouth if you take 3-4 of the best players out of it. Bournemouth would be left with Daniels,Francis Cook, Surman, Gosling, Smith etc who've been there forever but think a few of them are past their best now.

Let's be honest, celebrating not being relegated is not something any wants to really be part of. many of the players will be feeling relief rather than elation, and yes probably slightly awkward over celebrating being less of a failure than 3 other clubs. But as I said before the togetherness is still there which is good to see as we continue to build. The feelgood factor can continue. The photo of targett, Grealsih, and McGinn in a car is an important one given that there were photos of them together going out earlier in the season (their Tuesday night out singles club or something). 3 of them are mates and if we had have gone all 3 may have been at different clubs next season. of course they still may, but for now let the mates celebrate that in a fast-paced moving around industry they are still able to be mates at the same club.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Mcginn agrees with me.

There is no way this huge club should celebrate finishing 17th he says.

Spot on. It was a terrible season. Let's learn, improve and move on.

Haha

Yet he was celebrating like crazy. 

• Like 4

I don’t see the problem with celebrating, the relief to stay up must have been incredible for them, they aren’t celebrating finishing 17th, they are celebrating pulling off what seemed impossible just a few games back, keeping their top flight status and probably wage increases and hopefully key members of team together and not losing their mates to other clubs. 

I think I would be more worried if they didn’t celebrate, to me it shows they care and we can now look forward to being able to push on again next season, a few quality additions to compliment our star performers and it becomes an exciting proposition. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Mcginn agrees with me.

There is no way this huge club should celebrate finishing 17th he says.

Spot on. It was a terrible season. Let's learn, improve and move

I'm starting to wonder if you're a Screwdriver-esque parody. Or maybe you just really hate people being happy. 

Why does the phrase 'a parody of yourself' keep coming in my head. 

Are you going to spend the next two months being negative in every post?

Edit: to put this in perspective, you've moaned for the last two years, which have been the exact two years where the club turned around from the brink of administration to securing their place in the top division. 

You can relax a bit you know. Nothing is going to happen. Nobody wants a relegation battle ever and definitely not next year, but you have to appreciate the context.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

It really wasn't , we stayed up and played in a cup final , expecting any more is delusional

It's each to their own, we were very fortunate to stay up, 35 points in many other seasons wouldn't have been enough. We got to a cup final by beating the youth teams of Liverpool, Wolves and Brighton and somehow put out a Leicester team that dominated both legs. 

We can spin it any way we want to to put forward our own agenda, next season has to be better, end of. 

9 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

We as fans and everyone at the club should absolutely celebrate keeping our place in the Premier League. It’s the difference between having the platform to push on and try to realise our ambitions, or face ‘financial catastrophe’, in Purslow’s words. It’s been a long hard slog to get back up after being shit for so long, it’s been a long hard season where we all thought we were dead and buried. To turn it around in the last four games and secure our status on the last day, under so much pressure, is amazing. 

If you can’t celebrate that, then I find that quite sad. 

Absolutely. I understand the celebrations and have been celebrating myself the last couple of days as I thought we were down before the Palace game without question. 

The point is, we have to now realise our ambitions as you say. Next season has to be more stable, we can't be in another scrap again. 

• Like 1

We have not known which league we will play in until the final game of the last three seasons. With an awful lot of dark times along the way. I am gonna celebrate stayig up ALL off season like it was we just got promoted. Small time? Perhaps, but whatever I am enjoying my club and looking forward to next season.  Enjoyment has been thin on the ground recently so I am taking it where I can :)

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

It's each to their own, we were very fortunate to stay up, 35 points in many other seasons wouldn't have been enough. We got to a cup final by beating the youth teams of Liverpool, Wolves and Brighton and somehow put out a Leicester team that dominated both legs. 

We can spin it any way we want to to put forward our own agenda, next season has to be better, end of. 

35 would have kept us up for the last four years. That last bit sounds as if you're trying to be emphatic, but you're arguing with nobody. Saying something like that and saying 'end of' isn't an argument against feeling positive that we stayed up now. 

It's possible to think it's good we stayed up and also that we should do better next year. I bet 100% of posters on Villatalk would think the same thing. They're not writing it down because it's really obvious.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

35 would have kept us up for the last four years. That last bit sounds as if you're trying to be emphatic, but you're arguing with nobody. Saying something like that and saying 'end of' isn't an argument against feeling positive that we stayed up now. 

It's possible to think it's good we stayed up and also that we should do better next year. I bet 100% of posters on Villatalk would think the same thing. They're not writing it down because it's really obvious.

Fair point. I'm genuinely really happy we've survived, we are now in a great position, I just don't want this celebration of avoiding relegation to be constant or it won't feel any different to how we were under Lerner. It does feel different this time though, it feels like we can move forward as a club and meet the aspirations our fans have yearned for for so long. I'm excited for to see who we bring in, but also slightly nervous, the quality of player needs to be better than last summer that's for sure 👍

• Like 1