The survival thread!

Genie

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Fair point. I'm genuinely really happy we've survived, we are now in a great position, I just don't want this celebration of avoiding relegation to be constant or it won't feel any different to how we were under Lerner. It does feel different this time though, it feels like we can move forward as a club and meet the aspirations our fans have yearned for for so long. I'm excited for to see who we bring in, but also slightly nervous, the quality of player needs to be better than last summer that's for sure 👍

Seems that’s been recognised by the board too, I’d imagine they will be after a proven pedigree Sporting Director. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

I do wonder of Bournemouth might appeal that Hawkeye decision or should I say lack of decision. 

And the floodgates would open. No doubt we'd then appeal Kevin Friends awful decision against Palace, which would put us back in front of Bournemouth again.

18 minutes ago, deeps said:

We’ve come a long way....

32A5C361-C430-4377-A257-5541EE134A9A.jpeg

That is awful to look at, however I remember at the time feeling quite optimistic. I’d watched us play a friendly against newly promoted Middlesbrough at Villa Park and thought Tshibola looked decent because he actually looked up when he got the ball, and tried to pass forwards. We were so used to players hiding and playing it safe. 

Even after Gollini’s howler at Hillsborough, I still thought we’d have a good season. But in reality that season was awful, the one after was a bit better until the playoff final loss and subsequent threats of administration. 

We’re in a completely different place now, the nightmare is over and we can start looking forwards. It feels great doesn’t it?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

That is awful to look at, however I remember at the time feeling quite optimistic. I’d watched us play a friendly against newly promoted Middlesbrough at Villa Park and thought Tshibola looked decent because he actually looked up when he got the ball, and tried to pass forwards. We were so used to players hiding and playing it safe. 

Even after Gollini’s howler at Hillsborough, I still thought we’d have a good season. But in reality that season was awful, the one after was a bit better until the playoff final loss and subsequent threats of administration. 

We’re in a completely different place now, the nightmare is over and we can start looking forwards. It feels great doesn’t it?

No because (looks for a cliche in my cliche book) something something. Big club shouldn't be happy why didn't we win everything, only then happiness should be felt, but only ever stoically, like Hemingway. A strong stare into the woods. Definitely don't smile. 

Edited by Rolta
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, av1 said:

Given the financial situation it wouldn't surprise me if Bournemouth had an absolute fire sale

They could be in very serious trouble despite the parachute payments. Its not easy getting back up as we know, and they will lose 3-4 of their best players.

They will need to keep Eddie Howe, thats their first big challenge. I don't see them bouncing straight back, I would say Norwich, Watford, Brentford/Cardiff/Swansea/Fulham are all better placed to challenge next season. 

Bournemouth have leaked that they're meeting lawyers later today to discuss legal action against hawk eye

Not against us, not against the PL so despite the nonsense surrounding it we won't be dragged back in to any trouble*

Would give them the financial shot that they need

* I don't see how they win, they can't prove that we would have lost the sheff utd game due to an incorrect decision in the 42nd minute 

2 hours ago, deeps said:

We’ve come a long way....

32A5C361-C430-4377-A257-5541EE134A9A.jpeg

GK, defence and forwards aren't TOO bad there, but what is absolutely hideous is the midfield. Hard to overstate just how much of an upgrade Luiz, Hourihane and McGinn are on Westwood, Gardner and Bacuna.

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

I saw this on twitter, its a shocker. We really have come a long way. 

Saying that, Gollini, Amavi and Ayew would get in our 1st team at the moment.

And that Grealish fella on the bench. Heard he's a player.

I can’t believe Bournemouth would be stupid enough to think that 1 decision would directly correlate to them staying up. FA won’t be happy because VAR missed it too and it shines a big light on that. 

Never in a million years will they get anything out of it (apart from ridicule).

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

I can’t believe Bournemouth would be stupid enough to think that 1 decision would directly correlate to them staying up. FA won’t be happy because VAR missed it too and it shines a big light on that. 

Never in a million years will they get anything out of it (apart from ridicule).

They are papering over the cracks.

What they should be focusing on is why they only got 34 points in 38 games and conceded nearly 70 goals.