The survival thread!

Genie

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Yeah I found that interesting, the team that finished top by a decent margin was the only team to be relegated.

They were also relegated by a huge margin. Lost every game after lockdown

We can no longer here the rubbish that they are tge best team to finish bottom 

2 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Roy serves a purpose as a pundit and it is to produce moments like that so Sky can post 30 second clips on social media.

The players have earned the right to have a celebration. 2 weeks back we were 7 points behind and all hope looked lost. I'd imagine there was a massive release of energy yesterday which has been built up over the last few weeks. They've achieved their goal. Achievements need to be celebrated otherwise what's the point of trying to achieve anything? Maybe Roy doesn't understand what that feeling of survival (and the sense of relief associated with it) is like beacuse the one time where he was invloved in a relegation battle the club got relegated.

Well said.

56 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

And the side that finished top in the Championship finished bottom in the Premier League. 

I'm sure someone posted that they have gone down in the order they came up in?Many didn't expect anything from them this season though (Norwich)

I think they will come straight back up. Daniel Farke doing a good job there given the limitations he is working under.

Re the celebrations

1.The stats about play off winners being relegated are well known

2.If we had a team stocked with £40m + players I could see his point - we all know some of our players are barely good enough at this level

3.We looked dead and buried IMO up until the Arsenal Game.

Its an achievement, celebrate it - that said, the bar shifts much higher now, we don't build and learn from it then its all been a waste of time. 

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It's small heath mentality to celebrate survival for a big club like us.

But given the circumstances the past weeks i don't really care and let it slide.

I don’t think I’ll ever understand why you support Villa. 

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

Non VAR league table & impact.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1314904/Premier-League-Table-Without-VAR-Man-Utd-Tottenham-Aston-Villa-Liverpool-Man-City-Chelsea

The Villans would have had two more points if VAR had not been utilised in the Premier League, with Brighton sliding below them but still safe.

Interesting, plus it doesn’t factor in the Palace debacle. 

Brighton drop massively and the same teams relegated. 

It should shut up those Twitter accounts moaning about Hawkeye.

• Like 1

looking forward to next season - is there any such thing as an established premier league club ? - would it be any surprise if Burnley, Southampton or Newcastle were relegated ? - are most clubs a few injuries,  and a few failed signings away from a season of struggle ?

Just now, The_Steve said:

Think Hawkeye is separate to VAR tbf.

Wouldn't be surprised if Norwich don't even make the play-offs next season, they've been relegated as one of the worst ever premier league sides in terms of points, only four more than we got when we were relegated, will lose all their best players and it's doubtful that they will reinvest much of the money they make from those sales. Unless they reinvest money, they're basically going to be starting from scratch again, looking for bargains and bringing through their young players, which worked last season, but will be very hard to repeat.

1 minute ago, useless said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Norwich don't even make the play-offs next season, they've been relegated as one of the worst ever premier league sides in terms of points, only four more than we got when we were relegated, will lose all their best players and it's doubtful that they will reinvest much of the money they make from those sales. Unless they reinvest money, they're basically going to be starting from scratch again, looking for bargains and bringing through their young players, which worked last season, but will be very hard to repeat.

I would have thought there plan would be to only sell some of there better players to keep the books straight.

Would have Bournemouth as quite clear favourites to bounce back.

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

no prizes for the biggest gainers from VAR - Liverpool - and that doesn't include the "you didn't score try again" outrage at VP.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

I would have thought there plan would be to only sell some of there better players to keep the books straight.

Would have Bournemouth as quite clear favourites to bounce back.

Norwich pretty much pocketed the TV money and fair play to them they made no bones about it. Think they have sellable players but still enough to be in top of league

Its a very open Championship 

For all anyone knows that Sheffield United 'goal' could have been given and it would have made us so angry that we would have battered them 7-1. You can't say we stayed up because the goal wasn't given, because goals affect games in different ways, yesterday for example if Grealish hadn't have scored then West Ham wouldn't have scored their goal.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

For all anyone knows that Sheffield United 'goal' could have been given and it would have made us so angry that we would have battered them 7-1. You can't say we stayed up because the goal wasn't given, because goals affect games in different ways, yesterday for example if Grealish hadn't have scored then West Ham wouldn't have scored their goal.

And it was in the first half IIRC ? 

• Thanks 1

Keane was more complimentary than the clip suggests, wishing Villa luck at the end, and highlighting the problems they had.

Keane is Keane and looking out for himself. He speaks a bit of truth but it’s not as small time as being made out. Plenty of teams celebrate avoiding relegation. It’s just magnified more because of clicks and social media nonsense.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think I’ll ever understand why you support Villa. 

I'm absolutely relieved we stayed up and looking forward to next season.

I will celebrate when we win things. Not for staying up. Call me a bad fan I don't care.

34 minutes ago, hippo said:

looking forward to next season - is there any such thing as an established premier league club ? - would it be any surprise if Burnley, Southampton or Newcastle were relegated ? - are most clubs a few injuries,  and a few failed signings away from a season of struggle ?

I doubt Southampton as they’re very well run. But any of:

Palace, Newcastle, Burnley, Sheffield possibly even Everton. Added to the bottom 6.

Watford and Bournemouth themselves were an established PL clubs.