The survival thread!

Genie

2 hours ago, Rolta said:

I have to disagree. Context is everything. Chelsea getting in the Champions League is not what we just went through this year (and for the last five years) by a long shot. How dour do you have to be to begrudge celebrating that. I think people can go too far with this macho posturing. The other option is to enjoy something positive. One step at a time and all that.

If we're ever going to get where you want us to be, today was a massive step.

I have no reactions left but yes!! Agree completely.

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Minor point: the three clubs that were newly promoted to the PL during our shameful relegation in 2015/16 all went down today. The ghosts of Sherwood, Lescott, Richards, Bacuna and co have been excised.

Yeah, I'm treating it as the end of that horrific chapter and now the start of a hopefully more positive one.

59 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Minor point: the three clubs that were newly promoted to the PL during our shameful relegation in 2015/16 all went down today. The ghosts of Sherwood, Lescott, Richards, Bacuna and co have been excised.

Didn't we beat Norwich that season? 

They have every right to celebrate in the dressing room. Everyone thought we were going down a few weeks ago,, it is a fantastic recovery to stay up. It validates our promotion last season. It gives us a chance to continue to rebuild this great football club to back where it should be- competing  near the top, challenging for trophies.

7 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Didn't we beat Norwich that season? 

IIRC, we beat Norwich home but lost away

Lost to Watford both home and away (the away game was a dead rubber at the end of the season, but we still went 2-0 up and lost 3-2)

Beat Bournemouth away, can't remember how we did at home.

Edited by Mantis

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

IIRC, we beat Norwich home but lost away

Lost to Watford both home and away (the away game was a dead rubber at the end of the season, but we still went 2-0 up and lost 3-2)

Beat Bournemouth away, can't remember how we did at home.

I'd hazard a guess we lost.

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

We're not in the same category as Wolves or Spurs, never mind Liverpool. We've not had a comfortable top half finish in ten **** years.

Villa and a top half finish? That’s a foreign concept to me.

This is a big achievement. Getting back to prominence from the Championship is a three step process:

1. Get up. Done last year.

2. Stay up. Done today.

3. Spend wisely, improve the squad, and aim for Europe. Remains to be seen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

Wow, that’s actually pretty incredible.

That season sucked.

During the years we experienced in relegation battles, we’ve never been in this situation (atleast not in my time watching Villa).

However, we had two playoffs (3 matches each), which gave us an indication about how hard it becomes.

The nerves here isn’t only because of our game, any goal in the three games could be a big problem. We needed two results atleast in three games. 

I’m glad that I didn’t gave up hope on the team until the last minute. This team has some character. As much as we gave up a lot of games, but when it really mattered we were there. 

I guess now it’s the build up time. Quite interesting. What moves are we going to take? Wether this situation is better to us than being midtable? (The board will know that we need a lot to succeed in this league). 

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

as people are complaining from other clubs (mainly blues and a certain Yorkshire club) the Nyland own goal wouldnt have relegated us either. We still would have finished about Bournemouth on goals scored

We'd have 34 points and -27, to Bournemouth's 34 points and -25 and be down. 

It's a silly argument though. Who knows what happened if we went 1-0 down to Sheff U? We might have gone on to win 8-1 and win every other game. There's no way of knowing. Chaos theory ennit. 

Edited by blunther
  • Like 1

regarding the celebrations; i'm not sure why their are so many curmudgeons trying to dip their toes into the cesspool of gloom. For most of these players they have either neither played in the top flight prior to this and could see their opportunity going, or they had something to prove from the previous time in the prem (Grealish/Mings). Reina is a winner and came in to do a job and since confirming Nyland will never play for us again he has certainly done that.

A few player shout outs:

Elmo - played the last few games like an upgraded Hutton and was dependable. I think he'll be released but thanks - you were better than i thought. And he delivers a peach of a cross.

Konsa - started to look like a Prem player when he got his chance post lockdown. 

Hause - shit trying to attack corners, but once in a back two with mings he was rock solid.

Targett - thought he got better linking up down the left and was also a threat with his runs in and around the opposition area. Surprisingly good in the air too (as is Elmo).

Trezeguet - put in a shift, scored some vital goals, and fully deserved the shirt. 

Hourihane - by playing the team shape looked a lot better, and of course his delivery when working, was a potent threat. Sadly, its a thanks for the contribution though, but time to move him on.

davis - didn't score and very rarely looked like he would, but held the ball up excellently and was a great 'out' man.

We have to build on this now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mantis said:

2010-2015 was the decline

2015-2016 was the collapse

2016-2019 was the recovery

2020 was the redemption

How I see it too, I posted something on the PL 20/21 thread 😁