The survival thread!

Genie

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm absolutely relieved we stayed up and looking forward to next season.

I will celebrate when we win things. Not for staying up. Call me a bad fan I don't care.

Have you celebrated when we won the playoffs?

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm absolutely relieved we stayed up and looking forward to next season.

I will celebrate when we win things. Not for staying up. Call me a bad fan I don't care.

I’d never call you a bad fan mate because I don’t even consider you as a fan :)

I actually understand where you are coming from though. But sometimes you have to have a bit of perspective.

• Like 1

Anyone seen this? This is the Premier League without VAR, i.e. if changed decisions had not be retrospectively implemented. Not sure where it would be if those incorrect decisions upheld (such as Fernandes penalty) had not been incorrectly applied?

Premier League table without VAR

1st - Liverpool - 94 points - Five points fewer

2nd - Manchester City - 87 points - Six points more

3rd - Chelsea - 67 points - One point more

4th - Man Utd - 66 points - No difference

5th - Wolves - 66 points - Seven points more

6th - Leicester - 62 points - No difference

7th - Sheffield United - 58 points - Four points more

8th - Arsenal - 56 points - No difference

9th - Burnley - 54 points - No difference

10th - Tottenham - 52 points - Seven points fewer

11th - Everton - 50 points - One point more

12th - Southampton - 49 points - Three points fewer

13th - West Ham - 45 points - Six points more

14th - Newcastle - 44 points - No difference

15th - Crystal Palace - 41 points - Two points fewer

16th - Aston Villa - 37 points - Two points more

17th - Brighton - 36 points - Five points fewer

18th - Watford - 34 points - No difference

19th - Bournemouth - 33 points - One point fewer

20th - Norwich - 23 points - Two points more

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I can’t believe Bournemouth managed 5 years in top flight finishing as high as 9th! Pretty incredible achievement for such a small club. Credit to Eddie Howe. 

They also spent a hell of a lot of money

34 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Anyone seen this? This is the Premier League without VAR, i.e. if changed decisions had not be retrospectively implemented. Not sure where it would be if those incorrect decisions upheld (such as Fernandes penalty) had not been incorrectly applied?

Premier League table without VAR

1st - Liverpool - 94 points - Five points fewer

2nd - Manchester City - 87 points - Six points more

3rd - Chelsea - 67 points - One point more

4th - Man Utd - 66 points - No difference

5th - Wolves - 66 points - Seven points more

6th - Leicester - 62 points - No difference

7th - Sheffield United - 58 points - Four points more

8th - Arsenal - 56 points - No difference

9th - Burnley - 54 points - No difference

10th - Tottenham - 52 points - Seven points fewer

11th - Everton - 50 points - One point more

12th - Southampton - 49 points - Three points fewer

13th - West Ham - 45 points - Six points more

14th - Newcastle - 44 points - No difference

15th - Crystal Palace - 41 points - Two points fewer

16th - Aston Villa - 37 points - Two points more

17th - Brighton - 36 points - Five points fewer

18th - Watford - 34 points - No difference

19th - Bournemouth - 33 points - One point fewer

20th - Norwich - 23 points - Two points more

at least it didn't change who got relegated... but definitely would be interesting to see how the incorrect VAR decisions would have impacted things. Sadly, I dont recall a lot of the obvious errors we had getting much attention, apart from the Man Utd one,  so not sure how that could be compiled.

13 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

They also spent a hell of a lot of money

I heard this as well but have they relative to the general spend in the Premier League? Plus they probably have to pay over the odds on wages I bet to persuade players to join them. I mean what top player wants to play for Bournemouth?

2 hours ago, useless said:

I think there was an element of truth to what Roy Keane was saying, he just didn't express it very well and didn't take into account the circumstances, would have been better if he said something like he could understand the celebrations but a club like Aston Villa shouldn't be celebrating relegation and need to do better in the future.

The good thing to know is that despite the celebrations the players themselves as stated by Hourihane after the game know that it wasn't good enough and want to do better next season, so it's not as if they're going away thinking they've done a brilliant job or anything like that...

In the full version of the quote Roy Keane goes on to say that we had a massive turnover of players and that he can understand it. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Rolta said:

In the full version of the quote Roy Keane goes on to say that we had a massive turnover of players and that he can understand it. 

I watched the full video and Keane was just being his miserable act but he was praising Smith and just said a bit over the top.

• Like 1

No doubt been posted before but deserves another post!

The future King should post on here! 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

No doubt been posted before but deserves another post!

The future King should post on here! 

and the negative comments from the same clubs underneath it. Yesterday has absolutely riled some Internet warriors

I think the celebration is justified, we are allowed some joy especially spending 3 years down there recently. I viewed it as like a mini tournament post-lockdown that we won. Especially as we were 7 points adrift with 5 to play, and coupled with the about turn since Arsenal, it was cup/knockout type football. We triumphed over established, more experienced teams and in the face of serious key injuries. When it comes down to it we have some bottle and we’ve shown that over the past 18 months. 

• Like 1

Who are these people that get to decide what you can and cannot celebrate? Surely by these rules the majority of football fans may as well not bother.

Seems ridiculous to care what others think, were villa fans, we achieved something big when many had written us off. Enjoy it, celebrate it and stop caring what miserable pundits or faceless people on the internet think.

There's a huge gap between the Premier League and the Championship. We started this season with the bare bones of an incredibly average Championship side. After promotion you have to stay up, consolidate and give yourself a chance to grow. We were adrift and overall, all things considered, pulled off a massive achievement. It's all relative. What an important achievement at that. There's so much to be happy about. 

It's not like teams get promoted and go on to challenge at the top of the league. What the actual ****. Seriously!

• Like 1

It was a great achievement to stay up and I myself was extremely happy, but a club our size should celebrate when we actually win something or finish in the top 4, not by staying up by the skin of our teeth. But I can see why people did, given how we looked doomed for the last 2 or 3 weeks of the season and everyone had written us off. It was a minor miracle we survived really, given where we were, but we have to push on to greater things now we’ve carved out this opportunity.

Just got in off the lash, started at US eastern time 10am, watched the game, told the wife she wouldn't see me for a bit, got smashed, horse voice from chanting all day and night. Having a modelo now to chill out. What a day/night, thought wed done ourselves with the deflected goal in typical villa fashion! wore my shirt out and met two women from Erdington in the pub! in Rock Hill, SC!! If carslberg did days.......

THE VILLA BOYS FROM ASTON!!!!!!

My old man a HEITS was looking down yesterday lads. ONE LOVE!!!!!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MrBlack said:

at least it didn't change who got relegated... but definitely would be interesting to see how the incorrect VAR decisions would have impacted things. Sadly, I dont recall a lot of the obvious errors we had getting much attention, apart from the Man Utd one,  so not sure how that could be compiled.

I think it's all nonsense

We get the mcginn penalty on day 1 vs spurs and go on to beat them and then how the whole season actually played out can go in the bin, certain results at certain times and the ripple effect, the Palace goal being chalked off, the 3 decisions vs arsenal... They were before our really shit run, pick up points and that run doesn't happen

I am enjoying the number of fans from other clubs saying we stayed up thanks to goal line technology not working (and worryingly some decent pundits and writers) as if to suggest that Sheffield utd scoring in the 42nd minute of that game would result in everything else that came afterwards would have played out exactly the same... Some even suggesting Bournemouth should seek legal action...

"can you prove villa would have lost that game 1-0 if that goal had been given?"... "the defence rests its case" 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hippo said:

Would have Bournemouth as quite clear favourites to bounce back.

Given the financial situation it wouldn't surprise me if Bournemouth had an absolute fire sale