The survival thread!

Genie

11 hours ago, wilko154 said:

If's and But's (taken from relegation thread)

And we've done it again!

Watford to lose to Arsenal ✅

Bournemouth to draw to Everton ❎

Aston Villa to beat West Ham ❎

17 - Aston Villa - 35 points

18 - Bournemouth - 34 points

19 - Watford - 34 points

You are my new man crush. 🥰🥰🥰

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's small heath mentality to celebrate survival for a big club like us.

But given the circumstances the past weeks i don't really care and let it slide.

You must be a nose, there's no other explanation. Absolute twaddle.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Do you think United it Liverpool would have done that? 
standards are high if you want to achieve, simple rule for life, business, sport 

Yes if they were in our position

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

What's the point in being in football if you can't celebrate when you achieve a great escape like that? May aswell not celebrate winning the playoff final or not celebrate promotion to the premier league?

Heck, why celebrate a goal? You haven't won that game yet or won the league as a result of that goal. Roy Keane is a **** and these kind of comments are fucktardy.

We are in football for these moments so **** enjoy it while you can!

Roy serves a purpose as a pundit and it is to produce moments like that so Sky can post 30 second clips on social media.

The players have earned the right to have a celebration. 2 weeks back we were 7 points behind and all hope looked lost. I'd imagine there was a massive release of energy yesterday which has been built up over the last few weeks. They've achieved their goal. Achievements need to be celebrated otherwise what's the point of trying to achieve anything? Maybe Roy doesn't understand what that feeling of survival (and the sense of relief associated with it) is like beacuse the one time where he was invloved in a relegation battle the club got relegated.

• Like 3

The players are celebrating that dream is still alive. the building of momentum from the Championship and we are still in it together. We built a strong bond as fans/players/management through the past few seasons - especially under Smith - and it was vital we didn't let that go. Remember the scenes with the players singing together with their friends and families after derby, still in their Villa gear, and tell me you didn't smile when you saw those scenes replicated yesterday? yes, we've won nothing, but we could have lost a great deal more. let them enjoy, because form today the hard work starts again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They achieved their goal in a difficult circumstances. Everyone will celebrate that. It's an achievement that will decide a lot of things. The club finances, plans, players departures. New rebuilding, uncertainity of going up soon, wait two years atleast to come to this point again. They have every right to celebrate! Who was watching without nerves? Who wasn't checking Bournemouth results until it came to 3-1 then we only focused in ours?

Leeds, WBA, Newcastle, Wolves were all waiting for the moment we're down so that the can laugh loudly that they're in a league above us!

Coventry and the **** are waiting for us down there to laugh.

Troy Deeney was waiting to make laugh out of us, he won't leave the fact he scored in the two games!

Top teams preferred us to go down to make it easier to haunt our players!

Why shouldn't we celebrate?

• Like 3

Arguing about whether celebrating is fine or not is such a strange thing really. I haven't seen anything like this in Swedish punditry so I assume it's a UK thing?

Honestly, screw pride etc and enjoy the damn moment. We pulled off an incredibly hard task and are now reaping the benefits! UTV!

• Thanks 2

So next time we score against Small Heath we simply dont celebrate because they are **** shit and they know it too?

Can't believe people are actually questioning this still given our positions from a few weeks back (or even after the Everton game)

Enjoy the moment with Villa or enjoy have to share a retirement home with Roy Keane.

• Like 2

I'm still in shock that we managed to do it, but this was huge for the club. We have a squad that we don't need to rebuild entirely, and we have a platform to build a solid PL team.

We also have ambitious owners who know what they want and will do what it takes to get it.

UTV!!!

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It's small heath mentality to celebrate survival for a big club like us.

But given the circumstances the past weeks i don't really care and let it slide.

Thanks. Really noble of you.

Just a huge result - we'd get there eventually given the cash of the owners, but it could not have gone better since they took over - we are set up now for the long haul and NSWE must be rubbing their hands together thinking about what they can now achieve. Huge. 

39 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

So next time we score against Small Heath we simply dont celebrate because they are **** shit and they know it too?

Actually, that would be quite funny. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

It isn't when you've overcome a 93% probability to go down.

This is a good way of putting it. If you got on a plane knowing it had a 93% chance of crashing, would it be ridiculous to celebrate it landing safely? Of course not.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

on a side note, its worth noting that 2 of the 3 promoted clubs managed to stay in the Prem.

And the side that finished top in the Championship finished bottom in the Premier League. 

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

And the side that finished top in the Championship finished bottom in the Premier League. 

Yeah I found that interesting, the team that finished top by a decent margin was the only team to be relegated.

I think there was an element of truth to what Roy Keane was saying, he just didn't express it very well and didn't take into account the circumstances, would have been better if he said something like he could understand the celebrations but a club like Aston Villa shouldn't be celebrating relegation and need to do better in the future.

The good thing to know is that despite the celebrations the players themselves as stated by Hourihane after the game know that it wasn't good enough and want to do better next season, so it's not as if they're going away thinking they've done a brilliant job or anything like that...

Edited by useless