Mask Watch!

Demitri_C

43 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They have perspex screens directly in front of them, but not in between them and the place customers actually stand to bag their goods, which seems pretty poorly thought out to me.

Would you use a sock as a condom?

You are using a cheapo mask to stop a virus.

5 minutes ago, villakram said:

Would you use a sock as a condom?

You are using a cheapo mask to stop a virus.

The primary way of person-to-person corona virus transmission is via aerosols or small droplets created by breathing, sneezing or coughing. The reach of exhaled air can be effectively reduced using a face mask as shown in our video. A simple Schlieren imaging technique is applied to visualize the air flow caused by a person breathing and coughing. Using a face mask the exhaled air flow is blocked reducing effectively the risk of infection. Also nicely shown is the heat transfer from the body to the cooler ambient air.

Link

bos-covid19.gif

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

A couple of the supermarkets have said it’s not their responsibility to enforce legislation.

As have their Trade Organisation (on the radio on the way home)

Meanwhile some junior health minister woman on the radio this morning said that the police weren't going to enforce mask wearing either as that would be a disproportionate and heavy handed

The Gov website too suggests that people can make their own signs etc to show to people if uncomfortable that they can't wear face masks due to e.g. severe distress whilst wearing them.  That is true for some but there is a loophole there for people to ignore the law.  It is an unenforceable law and I just hope that people see common sense and see that it is for the better good and that we'll (hopefully) keep this thing at bay until a vaccine (eventually) appears.  

Edited by trekka

There are several legitimate criticisms of masks, such as it being a false sense of security that actually increases risk due to reduced social distancing, as well as reducing hand hygiene. To suggest it's not, other things being equal, a benefit to wear them, is Trump-level idiocy.

The trick is wearing a mask while continuing to keep other precautions in place. It's a clear benefit,

Edited by Davkaus

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Link

bos-covid19.gif

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article

"Although mechanistic studies support the potential effect of hand hygiene or face masks, evidence from 14 randomized controlled trials of these measures did not support a substantial effect on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza."

Not covid19, but multiple real world tests of an actual virus in the wild with a very similar transmission mechanism to covid19. Not snazzy smoke etc., chamber studies with unknown relevance to the real world (much alike in-vitro vs in-vivo drug trials). 

As the husband of an anti masker I say this, anti maskers are all words removed. No ambiguity here. words removed. I won’t engage with them on it as quite frankly, they are words removed.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Sainsburys have said they won’t be enforcing the mask rule. Thats up to them I suppose. 

Stafford Tesco was fully masked up and only one or 2 words removed with them below the nose. 

The abuse some of the staff on the door get (often just teenage boys and girls) for stuff like the one-in-one-out rule is bad enough, let alone trying to enforce the wearing of masks.  You would hope for the first week or so you would have a police presence there ready to issue fines, there is no way a supermarket colleague should have to deal with it really.  They should be setting an example by wearing masks on the shop floor though, there isn't really an excuse for not doing that.

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

As the husband of an anti masker I say this, anti maskers are all words removed. No ambiguity here. words removed. I won’t engage with them on it as quite frankly, they are words removed.  

So when is the divorce?

I've seen on Facebook (yeah, I know) a LOT of people saying they won't wear masks, as it infringes their 'rights'. Not to mention plenty of claims that COVID-19 is a 'hoax' and is no difference from flu. Some of them (supposedly British posters) reference WWG1WGA, so I suspect a Russian(?) bot dirty tricks campaign is ramping up. 

Edited by mjmooney

2 minutes ago, sne said:

All those lip fillers and nose jobs no wonder some are glad to wear masks. 

Thats what they should be thinking but no, they must show off the fact they've paid good money to look like a cartoon fish

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

There's been a Booths in Ilkley as long as I can remember. 

"On Ilkley Moor bart mask, On Ilkley Moor bart mask"

I don't why I just thought of that or felt the need to post it. I think I've been inside far too long 🤪

• Haha 1

I find it hilarious that masks are such a big deal elsewhere. In the Cayman Islands we’ve been wearing them and sanitising our hands at every shop and service place for months. Everyone does it, nobody complains, shock horror the virus is now finally gone from the islands it seems. 

• Like 1

Pretty much no one in Sweden wears a mask (hospitals obviously but aside from that). If I see one a week tops that's not exaggerating.

The guy running our CDC is actively telling people to not wear masks. They've backed themselves into a corner and are adamant to not admit they should have done things differently. The whole world is wrong and Sweden is right apparently. Lucky us (apart from all our dead people of course)

1 minute ago, sne said:

The guy running our CDC is actively telling people to not wear masks.

I've never understood why they do that. Whats the worst that can happen, nothing? It's a good thing we are pretty standoffish or we'd be a lot worse than we currently are, and it's not been great.

• Like 1

Â