Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

i mentioned this in another thread, but eh..... :)

1) I think Grealish will go, we will hopefully get 60-80m for him.

2) We should do everything within our power to keep our other good players (Mings, Luiz, McGinn, Heaton etc), ask for one season from them to get back up and go again. (i will assume we somehow manage this miracle - they are all on long contracts with us........)

3) FFP is effectively voided next season, hopefully the owners will invest, another 60-80m invested, added to the Grealish sale would give us 120-160m to spend WISELY.

4) i beleive if we had bought a GOOD & proven left winger, right winger and DM, we would be going down this season.

4) with that in mind, the below would be my "desire", although open to other players, the critical thing is we buy "GOOD" players, no chancing, we need proven good players.

image.png.7163d69c7ea969653dde54ef543ea5a8.png

So, 90m ish on 3 core player positions, anything left can be spent on depth or a starter?

Squad/Subs:                             Steer, Taylor, Hause, Konsa, Elmo, Nakamba, Hourihane, NEW MC (10m) ,El Ghazi, Jota, Samatta, Barry, [other youth].

Sell/release:                              Grealish, Trezeguet, Lansbury, Chester, Nyland

Possible other purchases:      LB / RB

Mate it's bloody laughable you think we will be spending 90mil if/when we get relegated not a chance in hell of that happening!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Mate it's bloody laughable you think we will be spending 90mil if/when we get relegated not a chance in hell of that happening!

what reasoning do you have for this comment?

If we sold grealish for 60-80m, we could spend that without technically spending a penny of the money already in the bank?

The owners will want us to get straight back up, investing some of the parachute payments wisely, is a much better idea than not investing and failing to get back up at the first go.

did you forget we spent 80m in our relegation season in 2016/17?????

spending 100m (60-80m from Grealish, and 40-60m from the owners investment), is entirely possible.

Whether we do spend 100m or not (if Grealish is sold), is entirely possible, but whether we choose to, is a different matter.

Edited by MaVilla

We won’t and wouldn’t need to spend anything like £90m to get a promotion winning team. No other team in Championship history has needed to spend that sort of money to win promotion. Solid buys and loans with good coaching is what we would need. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

We can't sell everyone.

Apart from Grealish, we really don't owe any of these players. They owe us.

I agree. Most clubs are also broke and will not be making big acquisitions in the summer. Even losing Grealish is not as certain as it would be in normal circumstances. If our owners have retained their ambition then we will not be selling on the cheap.

Need better upfront.

Nothing to suggest Davis would score 15 goals next season. Samatta looked awful since restart but I think he'd hit double figures. Wesley probably won't be fit for start of the season anyway.

Dwight Gayle can score 20 + in that league with his eyes closed, did it at Newcastle and West Brom last season. I presume he has 1 year left on his contract given he joined Newcastle in 2016 so just seems an obvious get to me.

Think we'll look at Joe Lolley if Forest don't go up.

An out of favour CB from a prem club would be good aswell, picked up Chester and Elphick when we last went down.

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Samatta looked awful since restart but I think he'd hit double figures.

Genuinely think he's looked the same before and the same after.

6 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Genuinely think he's looked the same before and the same after.

I like what I saw in his early games, poached a couple of goals and also linked up well first half in the Spurs game with likes of Grealish. Been complete rubbish since restart but I think he'll be o.k in the division below.

36 minutes ago, jim said:

Got to laugh at us spending £90m on 3 players in the championship.

Most expensive Championship player ever was £20m but sure we’ll drop buy three lads for £30m each.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

What a massive contradiction. 

We are not down yet. Yes, it looks bad but how about getting rid of the defeatist attitude and believing til its confirmed?

Until its all said and done we are a premier league team.

Up the **** villa

Because its positive if we stay up and positive if we go down for positive people only 

Like I said there is no point of us spending much in the Championship unless we need to. We already bought a whole new team this season! Spending £30 on players is something to do in the premier league not the championship 

1 thing I like to add is if we should only loan players if we have a buy clause

Anyone posting Bananas and saying this thread is pointless needs to go back to the negative relegation thread 

Going down and losing Grealish will I think hurt the owners' pride, can see them trying to do something that would make a big statement of intent that they're determined to succeed, so can see us making a big play of hanging onto our best players, and making some ambitous singings as well, albeit not singing players for £30m of course.

36 minutes ago, hippo said:

Smith teams tend to be slow starters - so what happens if we are bottom half ten games in...

Crowd revolt (if we're allowed back in) and he gets sacked just like Steve Bruce did.

About time we hit the ground running in a season. All three seasons we had really slow starts and that pretty much killed off any realistic top 2 challenges although we weren't far off in 17/18. Cardiff won their first five games that season and that was crucial in the end.

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

I really disagree with that. We possibly don't need to spend big, but this is not the same situation as last time - a million miles from it in fact. 1 - Jack Grealish, will net above £50 mill - all profit as far as FFP is concerned. 2 - FFP is being altered for the season just gone due to the virus - there will be major wriggle room on that alone. 3 - I think we'll see Mings leave for over what we paid, we'll get money back on the likes of Trezeguet. 4 - parachute payments. Add all that up and we'll have comfortably the most spending power in the division, by some way over anyone else. 

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Need better upfront.

Nothing to suggest Davis would score 15 goals next season. Samatta looked awful since restart but I think he'd hit double figures. Wesley probably won't be fit for start of the season anyway.

Dwight Gayle can score 20 + in that league with his eyes closed, did it at Newcastle and West Brom last season. I presume he has 1 year left on his contract given he joined Newcastle in 2016 so just seems an obvious get to me.

Think we'll look at Joe Lolley if Forest don't go up.

An out of favour CB from a prem club would be good aswell, picked up Chester and Elphick when we last went down.

Cannot agree more with the couple you mention above.  Dwight Gayle is an absolute no brainer and would score the goals to fire us back up.  Another would be Karlan Grant at Huddersfield, especially if they drop to League one.  Two players that would be more than capable.

Talking of Huddersfield dropping, Terence Kongolo is an option at the back, especially if Mings moves on.  Matty Cash at Forest is improving every game at full back.

Out wide, Lolley would be great on the left side.  AEG or Jota on the other would be enough.  In the middle, Massengo at Bristol City is one to keep a watchful eye on, as sadly we’ve missed the boat with Eze at QPR.  Swift at Reading another useful player.  Hourihane will probably hit double figures in the Championship though.

The inevitable Grealish sale would be a huge void to fill and lack of creativity would be difficult to replace.  However, Bradley Dack is an option perhaps with Blackburn going nowhere.  

We also need to keep an eye on top youngsters coming through clubs and poach them early. Derby have a few already with Bogle and Sibley doing well. Nathan Collins at Stoke. Fry and Tavernier at Middlesbrough.

Personally I like players who know the league, will get us out quickly, but can then offer something to us in the Premier League. We’re still a massive attraction to a player and will be the biggest team in the Championship if we drop.  Need to show everyone that the ambition is there to come back in one season. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

If El Ghazi, Lolley, Hourihane, and Gayle were in our first team next season then first thing we'd have to do is replace them if we managed to get promoted, for all of those players have proven that they're not good enough for the premier league, I don't think Lolley has even been that great in the championship this season for Forest. In fact I'm not even sure how confident I would be of autmomatic promotion if the whole team was made up of players like that, almost reminds me of our strategy of just signing big names (by championship standards) the last time we were down there, and hoping that that would somehow work just because we threw a lot of money at it.

We will need to use the loan system very well again next year. Another Abraham and Tuanzebe would do nicely. We then need to sign 3/4 players that can compliment what we have, which isn’t a lot without Grealish. 

Keeping McGinn and Luiz would be a good start but doubtful. 

• Like 1

Â