Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/06/20 at 11:30

18 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I suggested that keeping one or two of the old guard from last season would have been sensible  for stability, experience and emergency backup but the argument against it was that we've tried it in the past and they just end up being a waste of money.  Most were against it as I recall.

This is one of those things that is probably clearer in hindsight,  but at the time it wasn't so clear and largely considered the right thing to do. Who's to say that we would be any better anyway. I'm beginning to think it was always mission impossible, thanks in a large part to FFP rules. At least with FFP rules we haven't gone bust doing what we did if we go down. Imagine going down and having spent another 100 mill. 

None of the old.guard were worth keeping. They would have been murdered in the premier league.

Needed the win.

Looked like we would get the win but 10 minutes into 2nd half it was 100% clear tres and mcginn needed to be relieved of their duties.

Davis and Connor should have come on.

That change would have forced us up the pitch as a team, given more energy and given us the best chance of gaining 3 points.

I pray fred is back, he can go right midfield target left keep the other 3 as a 3 at the back.

Targett and fred have the work rate that trez and el ghazi don't and are both more productive than tres.

Samatta and davis to start

Louiz infront of the back 3 jack and if mcginn is still only 50% then he needs dropping for Connor.

Steer if ready in goal.

While a few less hard workers with the majority being hard workers, we stand a bit of a chance to get out of this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

You say that like £137m for a whole Premier League squad is a lot of money. But it isn't. They can all be replaced. But Hause was majorly at fault for the goal today and is no where near this level (so are a few others too, tbf).

Hause was at Fault, so was Konsa and what was Mings doing out there?and isn't that a full backs job, half the bloody team was there.......this is basic organisation and communication,here.

are they left to their own devices at BMH?....what exactly do they work on?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I don't really understand why Hause has become a regular starter in the last third of the season. Backup at best, certainly at Premier League level anyway.  We should have kept Chester on the books and see how he could have worked with Mings.

because the ones who he has replaced are just the same, but he's a new face.....You could play about with our formations until you are blue in the face or disenchanted like our manager looks and it would make no difference. He is no worse or better than those that are not playing, (probably better in the air)....we have players out for a spell and they suddenly become much better players, based on Jack shit......we haven't got a mentality of fighting for the shirt,thats long gone...... its just a case of wait until they realise, so and so is shit and I will get it....don't have to do anything, just wait, it will happen, it always does......players get there chance, based on the guy with the shirt, folk are fed up with, poor performances.....so the next poor performer comes in.....that's how its got.

New recruits come in to us and they look worse after a short time...its endemic of this football club in recent times.....and then we get to a stage, where they are all as bad as one another.

something is wrong at BMH imo.....what exactly, I don't know, but rarely do our players get better....you could count them on one hand......I can remember days, when they all got better at our place.....whats gone wrong?

However, I see a bit of improvement in Luiz, frightened to say it in fear of a reversal of form, such is how brittle it is.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Seen a few people criticising Hourihane for that last minute free kick... yes it was frustrating but are you going to ignore that he got the assist for our equaliser and also put in a brilliant ball where Konsa should’ve done better at the far post?

Also a lot of the standard hate for El Ghazi that I don’t really get - thought he was alright last night and much better than Trez on the other wing.

I don’t mind Konsa but he shouldn’t be playing RB - a few attacks broke down as he didn’t know what to do in the more advanced positions - Grealish ran into a couple of dead ends as you could see he was reluctant to release the ball to him, or Konsa wasn’t reading his movement like Targett does. If Fred is still injured, I’d play Elmo there on Saturday.

Big positive for me (again) was Douglas Luiz.

Not felt as despondent watching us as I did at one nil down today since 3-0 down at home to Sheff Utd last season, let’s hope getting back into this game (albeit less emphatically) can trigger a similar reaction to last year.

I’m normally a positive fan but I have to say we look pretty doomed given our upcoming fixtures, feel we needed 3 points yesterday. Wolves will be a tough game if they play like they did against West Ham. Targett and Mings will need to be on top form against Adama.

Most disappointing thing about yesterday was not taking at least one of our three very good chances in the first half. 

• Like 1

Thought it was an all round frustrating game. We needed the Trez or Samatta chances to hit the net and I think we would have gone one to win the game. We have a real lack of quality at the top end of the pitch and it going to cost us. 

10 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Needed the win.

Looked like we would get the win but 10 minutes into 2nd half it was 100% clear tres and mcginn needed to be relieved of their duties.

Davis and Connor should have come on.

That change would have forced us up the pitch as a team, given more energy and given us the best chance of gaining 3 points.

I pray fred is back, he can go right midfield target left keep the other 3 as a 3 at the back.

Targett and fred have the work rate that trez and el ghazi don't and are both more productive than tres.

Samatta and davis to start

Louiz infront of the back 3 jack and if mcginn is still only 50% then he needs dropping for Connor.

Steer if ready in goal.

While a few less hard workers with the majority being hard workers, we stand a bit of a chance to get out of this.

This is my thinking. 3 central defenders, targett & gulibert/elmo wing backs, grealish, luiz/nakamba, mcginn/hourihane in a 3 midfield, samatta and davis up front... 3 5 2

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TRO said:

Hause was at Fault, so was Konsa and what was Mings doing out there?and isn't that a full backs job, half the bloody team was there.......this is basic organisation and communication,here.

are they left to their own devices at BMH?....what exactly do they work on?

Are we really surprised, this has been happening all season! WE will get individual errors that will cost us games and have suffered them , but whats so frustrating is basic set up and defending as a team. Shocking nothing has been taken on board  all season!  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skell said:

When did all this Smith out start? I am bemused by it. Surely people can see the limitations in the squad bought for him.

I also hear a lot of.people saying he shouldn't do that or play him without offering an alternative suggestion. His tactics are fine for me. The problem is the players.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Smith has been given an impossible job with the players he has. Our limitations have been clear in the games against Sheff Utd and Newcastle and that's why we'll be relegated. There isn't anyone on the bench or any magic formation that's going to make a difference.  

Luiz MOTM.

Grealish was OK but he didn't seem to be really with it.

Defence OK for the most part but we always have a mistake in us which is why we are where we are!

We should have won that match, we should have beaten Sheff. Utd and that would have been two of three wins needed.

A pity as the odds are stacked against us, we need to beat a couple of the better teams now.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Smith has been given an impossible job with the players he has. Our limitations have been clear in the games against Sheff Utd and Newcastle and that's why we'll be relegated. There isn't anyone on the bench or any magic formation that's going to make a difference.  

And yet when we put Davis on to effectively go two up front we bossed the game. We take off two hugely underwhelming players in ElGhazi & Trezeguet and we look better. Tweaks to formation and good tactical nous can sometimes compensate for underwhelming individual abilities. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

And yet when we put Davis on to effectively go two up front we bossed the game. We take off two hugely underwhelming players in ElGhazi & Trezeguet and we look better. Tweaks to formation and good tactical nous can sometimes compensate for underwhelming individual abilities. 

Don't forget McGinn. I'm his biggest fan but he's been a non entity since he returned. We are carrying him at the moment and no where near good enough as a side to do so. 

We are stuck inbetween a rock and a hard as we desperately need him fit but can't afford to carry him through to get fit. 

Right now Nakamba/Conor are bringing more to the team. 

19 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Don't forget McGinn. I'm his biggest fan but he's been a non entity since he returned. We are carrying him at the moment and no where near good enough as a side to do so. 

We are stuck inbetween a rock and a hard as we desperately need him fit but can't afford to carry him through to get fit. 

I agree with you. I'd be looking at pushing Luiz forward and dropping Marv into the DM position. Play Conor beside him and push Jack further up the field. A midfield diamond with two out and out strikers in Davis and Samatta. Move the ball quickly and get 2/3 of the midfielders up in support.

McGinn was playing with an injury before his injury that put him out for months. He might not save us, but it's less because he's not good enough and more that he probably won't be back to his old self in time after six months out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, villaglint said:

I agree. I’d personally take McGinn out of the starting 11 for the next 3 fixtures. If he’s in a better place for the final 3-4 games then that’ll be better for us. He might gain a bit of confidence from coming on later in games and being more effective against tiring opponents. 

• Like 2

Â