Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/06/20 at 11:30

As soon as the commentator said that Carroll and Gayle hadn't scored for 36 games combined or something ridiculous, we knew what was going to happen. The Villa defence didn't need to make it so easy though.

A really poor second half, Trezeguet can't play for us again. Our wingers are not good enough - we need to either play with wing backs or narrow out and pack the midfield with two up top. We can't keep carrying weak, disinterested, wide players that lack quality. 

This needed to be 3 points and wasn't. It's not enough. 

• Like 4

I thought the performance wasn't bad - but we didn't score early when we were well on top and we didn't score when it was an even game - so if you're waiting for one team to make a defensive mistake it'll be us.

The equaliser was welcome, but it'll be very hard from here, we really are staring down the barrel now.

I thought Luiz was good, Grealish was good second half, McGinn started okay but was awful second half, Hourihane added something and the back four looked okay for 89 minutes - which is not okay - Nyland still looks shaky and I thought it was noticeable that the back four aren't happy with him.

We're short of quality on the flanks, but we did enough and we should have won that one.

Shoulda, woulda coulda - it's uphill from here.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PaddytheVillan said:

As soon as the commentator said that Carroll and Gayle hadn't scored for 36 games combined or something ridiculous, we knew what was going to happen. The Villa defence didn't need to make it so easy though.

A really poor second half, Trezeguet can't play for us again. Our wingers are not good enough - we need to either play with wing backs or narrow out and pack the midfield with two up top. We can't keep carrying weak, disinterested, wide players that lack quality. 

This needed to be 3 points and wasn't. It's not enough. 

El ghazi remains necessary for me he created 2 scoring opportunities that our players fluffed. Outside of jack he is the only player who offers any threat from open play. Even if he is playing as a 2nd striker he needs to be on the pitch. 

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought the performance wasn't bad - but we didn't score early when we were well on top and we didn't score when it was an even game - so if you're waiting for one team to make a defensive mistake it'll be us.

The equaliser was welcome, but it'll be very hard from here, we really are staring down the barrel now.

I thought Luiz was good, Grealish was good second half, McGinn started okay but was awful second half, Hourihane added something and the back four looked okay for 89 minutes - which is not okay - Nyland still looks shaky and I thought it was noticeable that the back four aren't happy with him.

We're short of quality on the flanks, but we did enough and we should have won that one.

Shoulda, woulda coulda - it's uphill from here.

We will get a win at Anfield, bit of a revenge trip....

my missus is making a pie, so I'm catching all the apples, coming my way.lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

We have a really difficult run in and I think we're playing awful football. At the same time, I see what you're saying. I guess what I mean is that I can't see a new manager coming in now (and I don't imagine we have someone lined up) would make a significant difference over the last few games. Hopefully we do pick up under Smith and stay in the division, but in the unlikely event that happens, we have a hell of a lot of work to do.

For me we overall defensively better and not conceding the amount of chances as we did before the break.  We are still making stupid mistakes like the first goal.  Yes a difficult run normally, but who knows in the current climate what teams are going to turn up.  For example by the time we play Liverpool they will have won the league, what team are they going to play and how much effort are they going to put in.  Additionally our rivals down the bottom are awful.  This is just a lottery whose going to stay up.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I get being frustrated that we didn't win, but why are we pretending like we've played badly? Since the restart, this is the best performance I've seen from any of the relegation contenders (apart from Brighton, who thanks to that performance aren't in the picture anymore). 

Performances are very noble.....but we need wins/ results.

• Like 1

hmmm... disappointing really.

Hause is never a Premier League defender. The way he got sucked into play for their goal was utterly shocking. 

We're utterly toothless going forward, I would have liked to have seen both Davis and Samatta start but hey ho, wasn't to be.

Borjan seems to just be there to fill the numbers, why not give Barry a go? 

Smith, well, I feel he's been dealt a bad hand with our squad + injuries, but a better manager could do more with it. 

• Like 1

He has a squad so inconsistent, he doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

Who could pick a team from this squad....I know, i couldn't.....I could pick it, pick it again, and again and still not be sure.

I am not trying to defend him, but he has lost it due to the chopping and changing of trying to find a tad of consistency.....the damage was done in the summer imo.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

hmmm... disappointing really.

Hause is never a Premier League defender. The way he got sucked into play for their goal was utterly shocking. 

We're utterly toothless going forward, I would have liked to have seen both Davis and Samatta start but hey ho, wasn't to be.

Borjan seems to just be there to fill the numbers, why not give Barry a go? 

Smith, well, I feel he's been dealt a bad hand with our squad + injuries, but a better manager could do more with it. 

Hause is not a problem for the club, he can be replaced.....the other £137 million is a problem.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Hause is not a problem for the club, he can be replaced.....the other £137 million is a problem.

You say that like £137m for a whole Premier League squad is a lot of money. But it isn't. They can all be replaced. But Hause was majorly at fault for the goal today and is no where near this level (so are a few others too, tbf).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It would make such a difference if the next games versus the yam yams was  at a packed Villa Park screaming their heads off, instead of empty stadium.

According to Dean Smith, the team are better at the training ground, so it might suit us.

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

For me we overall defensively better and not conceding the amount of chances as we did before the break.  We are still making stupid mistakes like the first goal.  Yes a difficult run normally, but who knows in the current climate what teams are going to turn up.  For example by the time we play Liverpool they will have won the league, what team are they going to play and how much effort are they going to put in.  Additionally our rivals down the bottom are awful.  This is just a lottery whose going to stay up.

Yeah overall defensively we're better but the stupid lapses are going to keep costing us.

I can't see us beating a relaxed Liverpool.

Let's just hope we win said lottery!

Â