Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/06/20 at 11:30

Dont know what to say. Like Sheff Utd, should have won. Infuriating performance in many ways.

Trezeguet genuinely looks like he won a competition. I hate that we recruited such dross. I thought this fresh new era would demand bringing in quality. El Ghazi was shocking again.

We practice a system all year round and Cant make it work with this substandard lot. 

Jack was good but infuriating at times, McGinn is miles off it. Thought Mings played well getting blocks in. Doug is quality, starting to show his worth now. Nyland is back to his normal self looking scared. Hourihane suited this opposition, Smith should have recognised this from the reverse fixture, looked more dangerous when he came on.

Ive fully accepted we’re down, Jack knew it too. A long time ago I suggest 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Poor team selections yet again as highlighted in pre match thread ; waited far too long to make subs - poor manager miles out of his depth - 2nd drink break smith stood biting his lip get rid asap 

Rabbit caught in the headlights.

I've been critical of Hourihane plenty, but this was the type of game he should start. Also Konsa at right back has to stop. Multiple attacks broke down because he got dizzy after setting foot in the attacking half. Also, why are we still bothering with "wingers"?

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That game was ours, we just didnt want it enough.  Our defending for their goal was truly utterly abysmal in that our two central defenders were out at the wing for the throw in, then Konsa didnt even try tackling.  Our goal was a bit of luck that we desperately needed but jeez, we should've walked away with 3 points but certainly didnt deserve it.  Nyland is cack, our passing and drive is cack.  Why didnt Jack do what he did in the second half in the first.  We looked better with Davis and Samatta on together.  Not sure what El Ghazi or Trez offer us.  Happy with Luiz, looking better.  McGinn still looks like he's been out for six months.  This team and management need a good kicking in the dressing room, where is the urgency. Conor, what the hell what that final free kick, just awful.  Last chance and it's awful. 

Not commenting on the rest but el ghazi created too chances we should have finished. He is a necessary player because without him only grealish can create chances from open play and look what happens. 

• Like 1

Short of something absolutely extraordinary from a player, We are down. 

a game we should have been pumped for and fighting for every single lose ball but we just gave them space at every opportunity, 

three at the back isn’t working we’ve been so narrow because people aren’t tracking back. 

cannot do that against wolves they’ll spank us

I get being frustrated that we didn't win, but why are we pretending like we've played badly? Since the restart, this is the best performance I've seen from any of the relegation contenders (apart from Brighton, who thanks to that performance aren't in the picture anymore). 

Tbf I don’t think we were that bad that game. We just didn’t take our chances and had a comical moment of defending as always. Savage was blaming Mings. I blame Hause. If Mings has gone over to the left then why does Hause have to follow? Was an embarrassing goal to concede.

BUT we’re still in it! That’s what counts. 

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You just knew as soon as Gayle came on that he was going to score.....nice of our defence to make that really easy for him.

He just knows how to play us.....he knows our achilles heel.

Largely dreadful.

I do feel like Smith needs to go, but maybe give him until the end of the season because I can't see anything saving us now anyway. Rebuild will obviously be needed in summer to some extent.

Grealish hasn't been at his best but we carry such little threat other than him that it's easier for the opposition to take him out of the game. We need to smash more balls into him at pace but don't - it's just too slow or when we try to play fast it's more often than not inaccurate because the quality isn't there. Depressing.

Newcastle didn't even seem that bothered for the first half and we failed to take advantage.

Also I was saying Connor needs to be playing for his set piece delivery and knack of popping up to smash one in from range - especially as we create so few decent chances from open play - but his delivery was abysmal in the closing minutes.

Once they'd scored I thought we'd never equalise so I guess a point is ok.  Hopefully they'll take the last 20 mins and build on it during the next week. 

1 minute ago, Lerner's Driver said:

It was inevitable. He's a clinical striker. Ours aren't.

No he isn't.  He just always scores against us.  He is a championship striker.  One point - alot of people often complain about Targetts positioning.  Had it been the other way around he clears the ball easily.  Minus and Hause wtf? Konsa could've tucked in. 

1 minute ago, Troglodyte said:

Largely dreadful.

I do feel like Smith needs to go, but maybe give him until the end of the season because I can't see anything saving us now anyway. Rebuild will obviously be needed in summer to some extent.

We are on the same points as 17th....what a ridiculous thing to say!  Your point is as if we are cut adrift.........we are on the same points as 17th with 7 games to go.

• Like 1

Nicking draws away would have been great at the start of the season but we are running out of games and we really needed to win this unless we pull off a random result like beating Wolves. Which I just can't see happening. At least we gained rather than dropped points for a change.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We are on the same points as 17th....what a ridiculous thing to say!  Your point is as if we are cut adrift.........we are on the same points as 17th with 7 games to go.

We have a really difficult run in and I think we're playing awful football. At the same time, I see what you're saying. I guess what I mean is that I can't see a new manager coming in now (and I don't imagine we have someone lined up) would make a significant difference over the last few games. Hopefully we do pick up under Smith and stay in the division, but in the unlikely event that happens, we have a hell of a lot of work to do.

6 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Once they'd scored I thought we'd never equalise so I guess a point is ok.  Hopefully they'll take the last 20 mins and build on it during the next week. 

I wouldn't hold your breath, on building on it.

Â