Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/06/20 at 11:30

Just now, Troglodyte said:

Yeah overall defensively we're better but the stupid lapses are going to keep costing us.

I can't see us beating a relaxed Liverpool.

Let's just hope we win said lottery!

Depends who Liverpool play

These defensive lapses I agree.

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

You say that like £137m for a whole Premier League squad is a lot of money. But it isn't. They can all be replaced. But Hause was majorly at fault for the goal today and is no where near this level (so are a few others too, tbf).

Well I didn't see the game, but some said Mings was at fault, too.

I still think the  money we had to spend was decent.....I think many managers in the league, would have been delighted with it....we have been wasteful with it......I think a well organised manager, would have done better with it....just my opinion.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

Yeah overall defensively we're better but the stupid lapses are going to keep costing us.

I can't see us beating a relaxed Liverpool.

Let's just hope we win said lottery!

Is there such a thing as relaxed scousers......They are competitive queueing for the loo.

• Haha 1

Everything is too slow and hesitant in our play. Its telegraphed easily. 

Could we maybe have kept last season’s squad together and spent the 140m on 4/5 quality players. Heaton and Douglas are the only ones id have out the recruits. Im sure 50m on 2 quality CBs, a 30m striker, Benrahma and a left back would have sufficed. The extra numbers could have come from the academy. Would have had enough to stay up in hindsight doing it that way. The Huttons, Jedinaks and Whelans of this world would have added a bit of stability even if they barely played.

I knew I shouldn’t have read the comments in this thread but I did :( it wasn’t pretty reading. I watched the game on nowtv, it kept buffering but I saw our goal. A point away to Newcastle is always a good result in my opinion. We’ve taken many beatings at their ground over the years

Mings for me on the goal shouldn't be following Andy Carroll all the way out to the touchline. Hause shouldn't then just take his position from Mings and follow him there too - part of a partnership is knowing when your partner is making a mistake and reacting to that mistake.

• Like 1

Nyland - not sure why we are picking him every shot bounces off him basic crosses are not dealt with and makes the defence panic 

konsa - ok but looks uncomfortable and awkward getting forward.

hause - is what he is a bit of a lump not much football ability but I like his effort. Was partly at fault for the goal getting dragged out

mings - needs a reality check that we are in a battle, far to casual without the ability to back it up. No idea why he is on the touch line for the goal

targett - ok 

Doug - on the whole a good game seems to be improving all the time but fell asleep for the goal and Gayle ran off the back of him

Mcginn - looked miles off the pace but tried is hardest

jack - class as ever but I thought a bit lazy in the first half upped the effort and urgency second half 

Trez - tried but a lack of any footballing ability or intelligence stands out a Mile. Just one of those players that everything he does it’s wrong 

Samatta - tried but needed to get higher up the pitch and shouldn’t shoot from outside the box. Also should have scored.

el ghazi - nothing really. Didn’t contribute much and lacked any quality 

thought Davis was handy when he came on. I’d argue given the wingers that started we could put Connor out wide because he couldn’t be worse than trez and it would keep him away from the middle of the park.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Mings for me on the goal shouldn't be following Andy Carroll all the way out to the touchline. Hause shouldn't then just take his position from Mings and follow him there too - part of a partnership is knowing when your partner is making a mistake and reacting to that mistake.

It was amateurish of them.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TRO said:

He has a squad so inconsistent, he doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

Who could pick a team from this squad....I know, i couldn't.....I could pick it, pick it again, and again and still not be sure.

I am not trying to defend him, but he has lost it due to the chopping and changing of trying to find a tad of consistency.....the damage was done in the summer imo.

No, Tro, he has lost it because he is not good enough.

My view before the game was 2 up top was the way to go. Arguments were made that suggested maybe not against a team like Newcastle... fair enough. I don't mind him starting with 1, but to stick with it for soooooo f*&%ing long when it isn't working is criminal. 

The fact we looked better with 2 up top in no way surprises me,  but those lost points are going to cost us.  The fact other results went our way means nothing.  They were games that the respective teams were expected to lose.  As it is we don't have enough games left that we're expected to get something out of. I think we're down, and have lost any hope that Dean will stop taking too long to make changes. 

26 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

But that should be training ground drill or our they just left to their own devices.

just saying, the organisation in this team, leaves me in doubt.

When did all this Smith out start? I am bemused by it. Surely people can see the limitations in the squad bought for him.

I also hear a lot of.people saying he shouldn't do that or play him without offering an alternative suggestion. His tactics are fine for me. The problem is the players.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Everything is too slow and hesitant in our play. Its telegraphed easily. 

Could we maybe have kept last season’s squad together and spent the 140m on 4/5 quality players. Heaton and Douglas are the only ones id have out the recruits. Im sure 50m on 2 quality CBs, a 30m striker, Benrahma and a left back would have sufficed. The extra numbers could have come from the academy. Would have had enough to stay up in hindsight doing it that way. The Huttons, Jedinaks and Whelans of this world would have added a bit of stability even if they barely played.

I suggested that keeping one or two of the old guard from last season would have been sensible  for stability, experience and emergency backup but the argument against it was that we've tried it in the past and they just end up being a waste of money.  Most were against it as I recall.

This is one of those things that is probably clearer in hindsight,  but at the time it wasn't so clear and largely considered the right thing to do. Who's to say that we would be any better anyway. I'm beginning to think it was always mission impossible, thanks in a large part to FFP rules. At least with FFP rules we haven't gone bust doing what we did if we go down. Imagine going down and having spent another 100 mill. 

l think Mings and Hause are both at fault for that goal.

Grealish needs to do more; he looks to be already on the beach.

Please never play Trezeguet again.He has been quite useless. Never sign anyone who has to adopt the name of a better player.

Nyland may be the most nervous keeper we have ever had.

But look on the bright side; we clearly have a plan. We are playing it softly softly, and are deliberately catching the clubs above one point at a time just to make it more exciting, to make up for the lack of excitement in the games.

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well I didn't see the game, but some said Mings was at fault, too.

I still think the  money we had to spend was decent.....I think many managers in the league, would have been delighted with it....we have been wasteful with it......I think a well organised manager, would have done better with it....just my opinion.

More Hause, Mings came out to line to throw in engaging man. Hause in no man's land near no man, he followed Mings rather than defending the box. 

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

But that should be training ground drill or our they just left to their own devices.

just saying, the organisation in this team, leaves me in doubt.

We looked fine organisationally. 

2 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

The reason they look good on the training ground is because they are up against Aston Villa players. 

That did occur to me tonight when considering Jacks comment that Keinan was “unplayable”. Only three games but all those sides seem to be able to contain him. 

• Like 1

This game epitomised us: total lack of attacking talent which starts with midfield Commanding a grip of the game and the customary suicidal defending lapse.

We have improved, we are cutting out the opposition attacks since the COVID restart, and were OK for spells but lack any kind of attacking pattern  or threat. Newcastle are set up to stifle attacks so we did OK, but our midfield just can’t compete at this level as a unit. We still lack an urgency of a relegation threatened team.

AEG and Trez are just woefully short of what we need, and Samatta needs better service but sadly The break hasn’t helped him, he doesn’t look anywhere near as sharp as when he arrived. It must be difficult for him.

We are poor defensively. Mings dropped another clanger today. But more than that, we lack pace and threat, and outright shooting threat.

I still think we can squeak out of this, especially if Watford lose tomorrow, but we keep missing the chance to move up the table.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 3

Â