Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/06/20 at 11:30

I can't help feeling a bit bad for Konsa, being singled out by Dean Smith for  their goal. Having watched replays carefully I don't think it was entirely his fault, I think one of the midfielders and/or central defenders is partly to blame too.

To be fair Konsa seems to be the only Villa player who was aware that Almiron was fast approaching in the centre of our half, totally, worryingly unmarked, there's no Villa player anywhere near him. In the replays Konsa glances round at him before deciding to move towards Gayle. If Carroll had passed to Almiron instead he'd have just waltzed through on goal with just Nyland to beat. No wonder Konsa got distracted from Gayle. He can't mark two players at the same time! One or two of his teammates have let him down there. I think he was caught in two minds for a second, wondering which one of the two Newcastle players to go with.

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, robby b said:

I can't help feeling a bit bad for Konsa, being singled out by Dean Smith for  their goal. Having watched replays carefully I don't think it was entirely his fault, I think one of the midfielders and/or central defenders is partly to blame too.

To be fair Konsa seems to be the only Villa player who was aware that Almiron was fast approaching in the centre of our half, totally, worryingly unmarked, there's no Villa player anywhere near him. In the replays Konsa glances round at him before deciding to move towards Gayle. If Carroll had passed to Almiron instead he'd have just waltzed through on goal with just Nyland to beat. No wonder Konsa got distracted from Gayle. He can't mark two players at the same time! One or two of his teammates have let him down there. I think he was caught in two minds for a second, wondering which one of the two Newcastle players to go with.

It wasn't entirely his fault.....2 players were out of position and he was left with the goalscorer....it was a shared responsibility.

But look, he has to stop Gayle and he didn't.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

It wasn't entirely his fault.....2 players were out of position and he was left with the goalscorer....it was a shared responsibility.

True, I accept that.

1 hour ago, robby b said:

He was hung out to dry by Mings and especially Hause, both of whom were totally out of position.

It was disgraceful of Smith to single him out as the culprit.

• Thanks 1

Just watched the highlights. No way is that on Konsa, at least not alone.

We have 4 guys including both our CB's hugging the touchline to cover 2 Newcastle players and Konsa is left alone in the middle with Almiron and at least 1 other Newcastle player running in behind him.

Shambolic positioning all around. The one time this season where all 4 of our defenders are not standing on the penalty spot.

• Thanks 1

To me it's what we don't do as an attacking team 

ASM being thier most dangerous player sucks in our defenders, Luiz for me isn't getting his portion of the blame, gayle has ghosted him, and that's because he knows of the ASM danger and is focused on that instead

How often does that happen with grealish? And how often do we have the runs behind their man because Jack has taken him out of the game? Nowhere near enough, we can do that! We can attack like that and score that goal but we don't 

• Like 2

On 25/06/2020 at 23:11, TRO said:

Konsa was right back. It's on CBs all day long.

Â