Aaron Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

13 minutes ago, sne said:

5 points clear at the top before this weekend yes, that's the ones. He's featured 22 times for them in the Bundesliga and 6 in the CL.

And up until the international break they were only 1 point ahead of Red Bull.

Kid only turned 18 a few months ago and is scrawny but very talented. Bayern have used every opportunity to give this kid minutes, we need to start doing this to our kids too IMO. 

I think if we had a player with his talent he’d be featuring. I don’t buy it’s the physicality that’s the issue. I just don’t just don’t think they are good enough yet.  

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think if we had a player with his talent he’d be featuring. I don’t buy it’s the physicality that’s the issue. I just don’t just don’t think they are good enough yet.  

Yeah I don't think it's the physicality either, but it's a excuse/reason you see here quite often.

I don't think we have any youngsters that are good enough to start in the PL, but wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them might be good enough to come in and do a job for 15-20 minutes instead of guys like Elmo, Barkley, Taylor or whatever who we know will not be here next season. In the position we are now there is no way those minutes could do more harm than benefit if Carney, Barry, Kesler or the Ramsey's got them.

Edited by sne

29 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah I don't think it's the physicality either, but it's a excuse/reason you see here quite often.

I don't think we have any youngsters that are good enough to start in the PL, but wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them might be good enough to come in and do a job for 15-20 minutes instead of guys like Elmo, Barkley, Taylor or whatever who we know will not be here next season. In the position we are now there is no way those minutes could do more harm than benefit if Carney, Barry, Kesler or the Ramsey's got them.

For all the hate, Barkley was OK against Liverpool until one instance of not closing making a challenge for their goal. Despite the narrative, he was working hard and the worst thing I could say about him (besides that one instance for their goal, which was not all on him anyway) was that he misplaced some passes, which is par for the course in the team at the moment. He did have some nice interplay though.

Seems there's a bit of a divide on this topic and I guess everyone is just guessing. I can easily imagine the likes of Aaron Ramsey coming on instead of Barkley against Liverpool and being much less effective. Youth players are capable of not closing down too (like Jacob Ramsey for their second goal), or making mistakes (like Jacob Ramsey taking the ball of Barkley in a good position and messing it up, which directly led to the second goal). 

I don't think Elmo was that great when he came in, but I'm not convinced a youth right back would have been better. He played right in the middle of our season—points always matter and it was no different then, of course—and he is clearly a part of the first team. I mean, it's important that we try to win games too, or at least get points, and I don't think it's a crazy idea that the youth players might not be magic bullets ready for the Premier League just because we want them to be.

Smith has to try to do as well as we can this season and I'm sure if we had a genuine wonderkid then they'd get a shot. Hopefully we invest well in the summer and some of these promising kids can go out on loan, or if they are really good enough they can get a shot in pre-season or this season when our position can't change because we're too far ahead of whoever is behind us.

Edited by Rolta

5 minutes ago, Rolta said:

For all the hate, Barkley was OK against Liverpool until one instance of not closing making a challenge for their goal. Despite the narrative, he was working hard and the worst thing I could say about him (besides that one instance for their goal, which was not all on him anyway) was that he misplaced some passes, which is par for the course in the team at the moment. He did have some nice interplay though.

Seems there's a bit of a divide on this topic and I guess everyone is just guessing. I can easily imagine the likes of Aaron Ramsey coming on instead of Barkley against Liverpool and being much less effective. Youth players are capable of not closing down too (like Jacob Ramsey for their second goal), or making mistakes (like Jacob Ramsey taking the ball of Barkley in a good position and messing it up, which directly led to the second goal). 

I don't think Elmo was that great when he came in, but I'm not convinced a youth right back would have been better. He played right in the middle of our season—points always matter and it was no different then, of course—and he is clearly a part of the first team. I mean, it's important that we try to win games too, or at least get points, and I don't think it's a crazy idea that the youth players might not be magic bullets ready for the Premier League just because we want them to be.

Smith has to try to do as well as we can this season and I'm sure if we had a genuine wonderkid then they'd get a shot. Hopefully we invest well in the summer and some of these promising kids can go out on loan, or if they are really good enough they can get a shot in pre-season or this season when our position can't change because we're too far ahead of whoever is behind us.

Anyone saying that they are is obviously wildly unrealistic.

What's done is done, it matters but we can't do anything about it now. I'm more focusing on the remaining games of the season and us moving forward with upcoming seasons in mind. Us having a possibility of finishing 9th or risking ending up in 12th should not have that much impact financially or on the project as a whole. It's money we easily get back if even one of these youngsters turn out a solid squad player in the upcoming years.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Anyone saying that they are is obviously wildly unrealistic.

What's done is done, it matters but we can't do anything about it now. I'm more focusing on the remaining games of the season and us moving forward with upcoming seasons in mind. Us having a possibility of finishing 9th or risking ending up in 12th should not have that much impact financially or on the project as a whole. It's money we easily get back if even one of these youngsters turn out a solid squad player in the upcoming years.

A quick look at something online suggested the difference here could be as much as £9million. That's not insignificant.

I think a big part of the club's progress is also seeing an improvement in final league position—for our attractiveness to bringing in new signings but it is important psychologically too, on many levels. Youth players have to be able to make a difference and Smith has to manage the squad. Youth players also have to prove they can make a difference in a team on the up, getting as many points as possible. I would love us to have young players come in and become fixtures in the first team but Smith sees them more than me. I can see the reason not to throw them in at the moment.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see who makes the bench now that Trezeguet is out along with Grealish being out. If it's a winger/AM you'd wonder if they would indeed end up getting some game time. Maybe it'll be Wesley.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

A quick look at something online suggested the difference here could be as much as £9million. That's not insignificant.

I think a big part of the club's progress is also seeing an improvement in final league position—for our attractiveness to bringing in new signings but it is important psychologically too, on many levels. Youth players have to be able to make a difference and Smith has to manage the squad. Youth players also have to prove they can make a difference in a team on the up, getting as many points as possible. I would love us to have young players come in and become fixtures in the first team but Smith sees them more than me. I can see the reason not to throw them in at the moment.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see who makes the bench now that Trezeguet is out along with Grealish being out. If it's a winger/AM you'd wonder if they would indeed end up getting some game time. Maybe it'll be Wesley.

Not insignificant, but not game changing either.

From what I can find Everton got £17m in Merit Money for finishing 12th last season while Sheffield U got £23m for finishing 9th. Might have changed for this season.

Hopefully we don't risk anything with Wesley, better to give him the full pre-season to train with the seniors.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sne said:

Not insignificant, but not game changing either.

From what I can find Everton got £17m in Merit Money for finishing 12th last season while Sheffield U got £23m for finishing 9th. Might have changed for this season.

Hopefully we don't risk anything with Wesley, better to give him the full pre-season to train with the seniors.

I’m less interested in the money than the attractiveness to potential players.  Finishing higher in the league (bottom half/top half),(8th v 11th), finishing the season on a high will have an impact on potential players.  Looking like we are close to Europe rather than bottom half of the table team etc etc

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I’m less interested in the money than the attractiveness to potential players.  Finishing higher in the league (bottom half/top half),(8th v 11th), finishing the season on a high will have an impact on potential players.  Looking like we are close to Europe rather than bottom half of the table team etc etc

Absolutely fair, I just don't think it will have that much impact tbh. Think it's more about our owners, the club, money offered and the ambition when it come to signing players moving forward.

Sheffield U finished 9th last season and got Ramsdale and Brewster which did cost a lot of money but were hardly sought after. 

Everton finished 12th and signed Doucouré, Allan, James Rodriguez & Godfrey.

No other comparisons but I'd hope our pulling power is closer to Everton than to that of Sheffield U. (Getting Sander Berge in January last season was a bit of a coup for them thou)

• 3 months later...
36 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Very excited to watch this lads career. We have some brilliant youth players but he just seems to have that X factor/slight edge over the rest. 

He does. Him and Carney are the two most likely to make it I feel. 

23 hours ago, useless said:

Seems to have gone under the radar recently compared to some of our other youngsters, but for ten or so games just before his injury I thought he was just as good as Chukwuemeka and Barry for the U23s and was in great goalscoring form, I think in the end his ten goals meant he finished as third top scorer in the league if it wasn't for his injury he might have been top scorer, ten goals in eighteen in the league plus four assists and another three goals in the FAYC also nominated for player of the season and England U18 captain.

Will be interesting to see how he does in pre-season.

This post not yet 24 hours old was good timing... Comes as no surprise to me how good he looked today, nor should it to anyone else who watched the U23s last season, got better and better as the season went on, not just his goal contributions mentioned above but his all round play.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

Brave on the ball, that alone will see him go far. Maybe a season too soon for him, but my instinct is he'll be the one to surprise us most with his impact.

he looked quality and can't wait to see him get more game time, but to be fair I was really impressed by Bidace and Bogarde they looked like prem level players.

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

A loan to a championship side would be great for him. 

I'd have both Ramseys out, Jacob at Championship, Aaron too if a team with an attacking style is willing to give him solid minutes, but I'd feel League One or Two would be more likely to get him the  minutes he needs. 

Lets not forget what Notts County did for Jack at 18/19, the minutes are more important with a team that will utilise him properly and Ramsey has only turned 18 in January. 

However if we are looking at the Championship, either Ramsey at the likes of Coventry (where Callum O'Hare is their starting AM still at 22, just turned 23, with 3 Goals 8 Assists) may not be a bad shout for either them, game time could very well be on the cards for someone like them.  Derby or Notts Forest too

Â