Aaron Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

Seven goals in his last four games, seven goals and two assists in his last five games. As well as that his overall game seems to have come on leaps and bounds in recent games, wasn't as if he was bad before, but now getting a clearer picture of why he's so highly rated.

16 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

He is such a hot prospect. I wonder how far behind he is from his older brother. Our youth set up looks so good at the moment. Hopefully some can take the step up. 

Carney, Chrisene, Bogarde and Ramsey almost certainly will IMO.

On 25/03/2021 at 10:08, lexicon said:

Ramsey is basically what we need in the first team - someone who plays through the middle, can score, pass, dribble etc. Shame he's so young!

Agreed, same as Barry they should both be getting on that subs bench, we have players who come on from subs bench who do not show the stuff Ramsey and Barry do, it is about time we gave a couple of youth a way in each season.

Edited by Dave-R

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Agreed, same as Barry they should both be getting on that subs bench, we have players who come on from subs bench who do not show the stuff Ramsey and Barry do, it is about time we gave a couple of youth a way in each season.

Look at the Jacob thread and the match day comments 

Lots of people asking what he does and moaning that he can't influence games

The vast majority of youngsters will be the same, especially in Central midfield

• Like 4

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Look at the Jacob thread and the match day comments 

Lots of people asking what he does and moaning that he can't influence games

The vast majority of youngsters will be the same, especially in Central midfield

I don't necessarily disagree with this.  But we get the same thing with Trez, AEG and Barkley!!

At least this would allow our potential future first teamers to get some first team minutes.  We would get a feel for what level they are at and it could help decide where to place them on loan next season. We are not going down and we are not getting Europe - isn't this the perfect no pressure scenario we have been waiting for to give the youth a chance?

I am not watching the U-23's but do understand we have some really strong talent.  I can't see an issue with giving the most ready in there a chance this season. 

Edited by barry'sboots
  • Like 4

Wouldn't be surprised to see him end up on loan at Sheffield Wednesday next season, Jacob did well for Moore previously, and I think Aaron is probably at a similar level to Jacob when he first went on loan to Doncaster, and Moore will know our new Head of Emerging Talents & Loans Adam Henshall from their time together at Doncaster.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, useless said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see him end up on loan at Sheffield Wednesday next season, Jacob did well for Moore previously, and I think Aaron is probably at a similar level to Jacob when he first went on loan to Doncaster, and Moore will know our new Head of Emerging Talents & Loans Adam Henshall from their time together at Doncaster.

It would be nice to see him somewhere doing a bit better than Wednesday, as Hourihane, maybe even in League One so we could see him getting a bit more of the ball in attacking areas?

Wednesday will probably be in League One next season, they might not come in for him, just a guess from me based on that our new loans manager will know Darren Moore and Moore has already benefitted in loaning a player from us in the past, it might be that we end loaning them a completely different player based on Moore and Henshall's relationship, or none at all.

On 27/03/2021 at 08:09, barry'sboots said:

I can't see an issue with giving the most ready in there a chance this season. 

but the management and coaching staff obviously dont think they are ready otherwise they'd at least be on bench wouldnt they?

These playing are getting training with the first team squad so are getting time with them but given that Smith and Co arent giving them any time on even our really poor bench at the moment, obviously means that Smith and co dont think they are ready. 

I know the argument is, 'well they can be no worse than Trez and co' but that doesnt necessarily mean to bring in these players because it's not always about who they are replacing but whether they are ready.  There maybe many reasons why the management staff might not think they are ready from maturity, physically, mental or just confidence....whatever but the fact that the management dont think these players should be on the bench yet never mind getting some minutes.  They see the kids every day training, we dont and I cant imagine anybody wanting the kids coming through more than them so it must not be time and us watching a few games thinking they are ready, it may not be true and doesnt look like its going to happen.

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

but the management and coaching staff obviously dont think they are ready otherwise they'd at least be on bench wouldnt they?

These playing are getting training with the first team squad so are getting time with them but given that Smith and Co arent giving them any time on even our really poor bench at the moment, obviously means that Smith and co dont think they are ready. 

I know the argument is, 'well they can be no worse than Trez and co' but that doesnt necessarily mean to bring in these players because it's not always about who they are replacing but whether they are ready.  There maybe many reasons why the management staff might not think they are ready from maturity, physically, mental or just confidence....whatever but the fact that the management dont think these players should be on the bench yet never mind getting some minutes.  They see the kids every day training, we dont and I cant imagine anybody wanting the kids coming through more than them so it must not be time and us watching a few games thinking they are ready, it may not be true and doesnt look like its going to happen.

I do understand your logic but I disagree.

They may not be ready, but we will not know properly until they get a chance.  From what I saw of the Liverpool FA Cup game, none of them are going to look stupid out there alongside 10 first teamers (and those boys weren't even the star players who were also isolating with the first teamers).

If they don't look great then we have given them their debut/a chance and we can discuss their future progress/development via loans etc..  If you asked them, I am sure not one of them would say don't play me now, I am not ready!  Equally, if you don't show them a clear pathway to first team football then you risk losing the better ones as Citeh experienced with Sancho etc..

Take JPB, it might be a bit sink or swim BUT there is no pressure - we are safe and not getting Europe; the stadium is empty (not that 99.9% of the fan base would give a kid grief); and he literally could not be any worse than Trez.  It's probably the first time in years we have had this kind of ideal, no pressure scenario.

Will it do them any harm?  I am no psychotherapist, but I don't see why it would and, if it did, they are probably the wrong material anyway.  And we might even get a pleasant surprise and someone comes through really strong.

As to your point about the management team knowing best when to blood these players, I understand that they see them daily and and can assess them but then different management teams have different strategies for the youth and there is not necessarily a right or wrong.  Our team may be too cautious?

On 25/03/2021 at 10:08, lexicon said:

Ramsey is basically what we need in the first team - someone who plays through the middle, can score, pass, dribble etc. Shame he's so young!

I to think he's what we need in the first team and I'd rather blood him in and have him warming the bench than someone like Ghazi or Trez who can't do sh*t for 35 games a season.

Well if it's his age your worried about don't worry that will change in due time 😜.

1 minute ago, barry'sboots said:

I do understand your logic but I disagree.

They may not be ready, but we will not know properly until they get a chance.  From what I saw of the Liverpool FA Cup game, none of them are going to look stupid out there alongside 10 first teamers (and those boys weren't even the star players who were also isolating with the first teamers).

One game mate, the management see these kids every day and obviously currently dont see them ready even just one and not a couple.  I know we musnt be blindly following everything Smith does but they are professionals, they see the kids every day and know what they are doing

4 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

If you asked them, I am sure not one of them would say don't play me now, I am not ready!

I think if you ask the under 15's or under 8's if they want to play they'll say yes as well...not sure that is your greatest argument.  If Smith said to me do you want to play and I'm a 44 year old, overweight accountant I'd be saying Yes as well.

5 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Take JPB, it might be a bit sink or swim BUT there is no pressure

Yes but they could be impacted a bit in confidence, not a big deal but there is pressure and look how Ramsey played too much and looked out of sorts

6 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Equally, if you don't show them a clear pathway to first team football then you risk losing the better ones as Citeh experienced with Sancho etc..

A bit different mate to be fair.......

7 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

we are safe and not getting Europe; the stadium is empty (not that 99.9% of the fan base would give a kid grief); and he literally could not be any worse than Trez.

Leave other players out of it as per my last comment.  If he(they are) ready then they'll get on the bench or play.  This is not about Trez or El Ghazi or how the team are performing for the kids, it's are they ready and obviously the answer is no to people who work day in and day out with them compared to fans who have seen bits and pieces and because the team are playing poor at the moment think we show throw in kids to the highest levels of professional football

Plus it's not about whether we are safe or in Europe, we are fighting to get the best place in the league to attract future players.  While it's not the be all and end all, finishing strongly and maybe 8th or 9th in the league, even 10th will be an attraction to new potential players....a top half of the table team....a team that is progressing well.  If we suddenly drop to 11th, 12, 13th while we are still progressing it doesnt look so great plus means that instead of a 10 game run, it will include a bad run for the final 10 games as well, so a second half of the season drop off.

12 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

As to your point about the management team knowing best when to blood these players, I understand that they see them daily and and can assess them but then different management teams have different strategies for the youth and there is not necessarily a right or wrong.  Our team may be too cautious?

You're just guessing though arent you.  We have the youngest team in the premiership, Ramsey has played significant minutes this season, which suggests we are keen on the youth side.  The owners and management have heavily invested in youth but you are guessing we are being too cautious.  Unless you have any facts otherwise I would suggest that the club value youth and not being too cautious.

Overall, we are still fighting for places in the league....yes that's not Europe or Relegation but places matter in terms of perception to new players.  People that work day in and day out with these players and are professionals arent choosing yet for the first team compared to fans who are seeing bits of them and see the first team playing poorly and thinks kids should be thrown in.  I'll stick with the former mate to be fair.  We still have a lot to fight for this season, not only league placing but also to show that the first half of season wasnt a fluke.  

3 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I to think he's what we need in the first team and I'd rather blood him in and have him warming the bench than someone like Ghazi or Trez who can't do sh*t for 35 games a season.

Well if it's his age your worried about don't worry that will change in due time 😜.

brad pitt film GIF

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Smith and Co are not always right.

I personally think we have players on the bench that are taking space up that otherwise could be better spent bringing some youth through properly. 

I personally see Barry and Ramsey who should be occupying each a bench space and they are better than Ghazi, Trezegeut and Davis. The Majority if the time when we bring those three on in games in the second half I feel as they Smith's saying I haven't got anything else in the tank and basically that's what happens. We hit dead ends all to often with Trez,Ghazi and Davis to the point I'm sick of seeing them fail at what they do and fail at trying to do what they are brought on field for which is to somehow score goals and open up opposition and support other players. If we have a bench full of players who fail at there job then why not utilise and make use of anytime we have left this season to get some Youth ready for next season.

If it's one thing I can't figure Smith out on and it's also frustrating is why go with more of the same  He at least has excellent, exciting young prospects available who are bringing there A game against the U23s regular and who look like they ready for there next challenge and step up to the senior side, who could maybe change the games against some opponents.

Just get them on the bench and get them some game time if Europe is looking Slim and were in no danger of being relegated.

• Like 1

Â