The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

Depending on where you go and sometimes what part of the country you’re in, chip shop curry sauce can be very fruity, including having sultanas in it. I like it.

I’m on holiday in the Torbay area right now and again the curry sauce here seems quite dark and thick like gravy but very sweet/fruity. 

• Shocked 1

35 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

curry sauce can be very fruity, including having sultanas in it. I like it.

Stop liking it immediately. The devil’s dangleberries have no place in any foodstuffs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

I feel like this is the correct thread to address this: people need to get over their hatred of fruit with savoury foods and meats. Sugar and tangy (fruit) is incredible at cutting through salt and so many meaty meals are salty. I feel the same with cheese tbh. Cheese on its own is a waste of time but add a slightly sweet and tangy chutney and boom you’re in party flavour town with your mate Tasty who has a duplex in Yum City.

It seems trendy to lash out at E.g. apricots in couscous or a tagine, raisins in coronation chicken, pineapple on a pizza or a burger, Forest fruits like blackberries with something meaty and gamey. And yet people will have mango chutney with savoury Indian food, will have Chinese or Indian takeaway food that is full of sugar, BBQ sauces that are full of sugar (and sometimes fruits) and yet it is fruit that is the devil in savoury food as it is “too sweet”.

This madness must end. 

Whenever we do a BBQ I always grill off some pineapple, mango and Peppers as a side to help cut through all the meat. The older I get the more this becomes my favourite part of it all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Whenever we do a BBQ I always grill off some pineapple, mango and Peppers as a side to help cut through all the meat. The older I get the more this becomes my favourite part of it all. 

Little bit of cinnamon on pineapple and then on the grill

Beautiful 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Little bit of cinnamon on pineapple and then on the grill

Beautiful 

Oh villa4europe I thought we were going to be friends and then you cinnamoned your pineapple. I think we can make it work if you aren’t putting cinnamon on a burger.

This goes against my prevailing view that people should do what they want with food but hey I’m a hypocrite. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

presumably she is after something or has pranged the car  , but Mrs H made me a sausage sandwich to take to work this morning  

so far so good 

but .... she's only gone and put butter AND ketchup in it  .... sacrilege , you can have one or the other but never both ,unless you are some form of Northern deviant 

anyone know a good divorce lawyer ?

Brown sauce is essential. Butter optional. Ketchup? I mean....wtaf?

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

19 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

presumably she is after something or has pranged the car  , but Mrs H made me a sausage sandwich to take to work this morning  

so far so good 

but .... she's only gone and put butter AND ketchup in it  .... sacrilege , you can have one or the other but never both ,unless you are some form of Northern deviant 

As much as I love butter, I agree it has no place on a breakfast sandwich. Much prefer to soak up all the bacon fat from the tray, then HP Fruity.

19 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

so far so good 

No no no no.

How the **** people eat a sausage sandwich without butter is a complete mystery to me. PLUS sauce of course and red at that unless you are The Devil incarnate. 

• Like 2

On 23/04/2022 at 13:58, Rds1983 said:

Seeing as I'm in this thread. We had a chippy last night and the little one had his usual sausage, chips and gravy. He then stole some of the wife's scampi and covered that in gravy too. Wrong, so wrong, just no, don't. 

DNA test's in the post. 

He's only a youngfla and he's already better than you.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

so far so good 

All depends on the proportions. A thin skin of butter, not the type to leave teeth marks in. And a decent amount of ketchup and you're good. Once they're not competing for your affections and are instead working together to help the sausage go down, it's all good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

All depends on the proportions. A thin skin of butter, not the type to leave teeth marks in. And a decent amount of ketchup and you're good. Once they're not competing for your affections and are instead working together to help the sausage go down, it's all good.

Nope, the sauce is doing the wet work you don't need butter, I try my hardest not to put butter on any sandwiches, will use philadelphia in lieu on say a cheese or ham sandwich, my brother puts butter on tuna mayo the wrong un 

And its red sauce for sausage brown sauce for bacon

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Nope, the sauce is doing the wet work you don't need butter, I try my hardest not to put butter on any sandwiches, will use philadelphia in lieu on say a cheese or ham sandwich, my brother puts butter on tuna mayo the wrong un 

And its red sauce for sausage brown sauce for bacon

The thin skin of butter stops the sauce from absorbing into the bread, which would leave you with an ostensibly dry sausage and squidgy bread. The butter stays on the surface, the sauce stays saucy (ooo err) and does its job on the sausage rather than in the bread. God can I teach you lot nothing.

• Like 1

You are totally doing yourself out of a lot of delight by denying yourself butter on any kind of hot sandwich.

The filling melting the butter is what it’s all about.

Also Brown > Red on a breakfast sandwich.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 4

Â