Best foreign Premier League player ever?

zab6359

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

based on the number of polls that are doing the rounds on social media at the moment im under the impression that a fair few city fans consider Toure as the best they've had, in the conversation with scholes, gerrard and lampard

I really don't see it personally, good player but I never found him that special or magical like silva (I put aguero in that pigeon hole too...great player but I get no real joy from watching him play)

Toure was the main man under Mancini in particular. Konpany too. Aguero has to be right up there. Probably rate Henry as a better player but who has scored the most goals. 

Interesting debate without any Liverpool players involved, although Suarez and salah had the two best individual seasons ever 

29 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Toure was the main man under Mancini in particular. Konpany too. Aguero has to be right up there. Probably rate Henry as a better player but who has scored the most goals. 

aguero to me is the same shearer, cole, defoe, fowler

wont ever deny he's not a great goalscorer but at the same time im not going out of my way to watch him, I can obviously picture that goal vs QPR but beyond that I cant picture a single aguero goal or any particular highlight, certainly not in the same way that I can bergkamp or henry, he's just a goalscorer

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Probably a toss up between Tonev or Sylla for me.

Djemba Djemba was better than Sylla in fairness 😉

He gets mentioned a bit but I think Sylla gets a raw deal. His 1st 6 months he added steel though maybe lacked techmique

Edited by Zatman

Arsenal had some great players in the early Premier League years didn’t they - Bergkamp, Henry, Petit, Vieira, Pires etc.  Fantastic players and can’t argue with anyone suggesting Bergkamp or Henry as the best. 

For me though, loving the Premier League in the early years, it was great watching the arrogance of Cantona and the beast that was Peter Schmeichel.  Followed by Ronaldo.

Finally, by no means a great or best, but it was very enjoyable watching David Ginola produce some moments of magic. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Eden Hazard in with a shout?

I think that season he had when he decided to completely down tools rules him out IMO

On 14/04/2020 at 15:41, Zatman said:

If its non Villa players then its definitely David Silva, an absolute genius and changed how midfielders are signed in England. Teams are no longer looking for just powerhouse centre midfielders

Probably Man City greatest ever player as well

Totally agree. If you look at longevity and sheer class it has to be Silva. Obviously Henry, Bergkamp up there too but Silva is a magician. 

My best foreign PL 11:

Van Der Sar - didn't even see the best of him, but he was brilliant.

RB - ivanovic - solid and reliable

CB - Vidic - power, height, aggression

CB - Carvaleho - pace, great touch and chilled

LB - evra - great modern fullback

RW - Overmars - rapid, technique

CM - Yaya Toure - a man among boys

LW - Pires - quick, good passes, tall for a winger

ST - Bergkamp - grace, unselfish, touch, class

ST - Torres - pace, finish, touch, heading

ST - Drogba (once he got his mojo after a hard 2 years initially)

If we were doing a best XI and yes I do include Irish as foreign 😉

Van Der Sar

Irwin McGrath Vidic Evra

Keane Alonso Vieira

Silva

Henry        Aguero

Denis Irwin was one of the original modern style full backs and rarely ever makes best XI

Many possibilities, but I think it's hard to argue against Henry, he wasnt just a goal scorer, he was almost a complete forward, some of the things he did were mind boggling.

Ronaldo is probably in the top 3, limited by the fact he didn't spend more years in the prem.

Edited by MaVilla

Schmeichel

K.Toure Vidic Kompany

Viera 
Pires             D.Silva          Henry 

Bergkamp
              Aguero.     Cantona 

Couldn’t just limit it to one, so I’ve done an eleven (probably wouldn’t work as an actual team). Haven’t included Irish. 

Honourable mentions to:

Ronaldo (obviously a great but got even better when he left).

Gilberto Silva

Yaya Toure

Ivanovic

Juninho

Zola

Van der Sar

Van Nisteelrooy 

Henry, he played his best football here unlike Ronaldo.  Paul McGrath was born in the famous Irish city of London. He clearly considers himself Irish, speaks with an Irish accent and retired to Ireland once he stopped playing but his birth certificate does say he was born in England.   

Cantona is overrated. Important to the league in it's early years but I don't think he even gets on the bench of a Man Utd side from the Premier League era, he certainly doesn't make one when choosing from all clubs. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

Â