Best foreign Premier League player ever?

zab6359

Was timing, he was the poster boy when the PL took off and when the big marketing got involved with football (not sure if the devil advert was nikes first?) others have overtaken him now, think with his style and guile he's comparable to bergkamp who is a better player, zola too 

To be fair for a long long time he was the only player to win 2 leagues with 2 clubs back to back (schwarzer and kante have done it too now) 

The back to back titles with different clubs thing is an odd achievement because clubs who win the league tend not to sell their players to immediate rivals.  Cantona was an oddity,  Leicester winning the league was the biggest sporting upset any of us will ever live to see and they were always going to struggle onto Kante.  I'm pretty sure Vardy would have gone too if he'd been Kante's age as he'd have got better offers than Arsenal.   

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

The back to back titles with different clubs thing is an odd achievement because clubs who win the league tend not to sell their players to immediate rivals.  Cantona was an oddity,  Leicester winning the league was the biggest sporting upset any of us will ever live to see and they were always going to struggle onto Kante.  I'm pretty sure Vardy would have gone too if he'd been Kante's age as he'd have got better offers than Arsenal.   

Vardy made the right decision. Stayed at Leicester and has become a legend and will probably go down as their GOAT. 

I never really understood why cantona is held in such high regard at united when then have had so many wonderful. He was a very good player  but not a great one imo. Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole achieved more there 

Edited by PaulC

Cantona was the right man in the right place at the right time.  He was instrumental in those early three or four seasons and the face of the Premier League for a while as far as Sky Sports were concerned.  English football really boomed after Euro 96 and we moved away from Cantona being a dominant figure but I think he'll always be remembered as being important.  I just don't think people should get carried away when it comes to his actual ability on the pitch.

• Like 1

Â