Passing Time During The Pestilence

Xann

37 minutes ago, snowychap said:

How many people have access to masks?

I should have said "face covering". The least people can do when shopping is use a scarf or whatever.

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Well you're a dickhead then

:P

Probably true. I don't know whether it's because of the conflicting information about masks (lots of 'experts' claim that - unless they are of clinical standard - they're a complete waste of time), or the unavailability, or simple selfconsciousness, but they just seem to be (round here at any rate) hardly used at all. Nobody I know wears them. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Probably true. I don't know whether it's because of the conflicting information about masks (lots of 'experts' claim that - unless they are of clinical standard - they're a complete waste of time), or the unavailability, or simple selfconsciousness, but they just seem to be (round here at any rate) hardly used at all. Nobody I know wears them. 

Honestly that's concerning.

24 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I should have said "face covering". The least people can do when shopping is use a scarf or whatever.

Does the scarf work? Does it mean that people fail to follow more effective precautions such as social distancing?

18 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Does the scarf work? Does it mean that people fail to follow more effective precautions such as social distancing?

The CDC says cover your mouth and nose with material. Seems like flimsy advice but I suppose it's better than nothing. I use a hardware store mask covered with a bandana, so I feel good, and look pretty **** cool too.

43 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The CDC says cover your mouth and nose with material. Seems like flimsy advice but I suppose it's better than nothing. I use a hardware store mask covered with a bandana, so I feel good, and look pretty **** cool too.

Hmm.

I think there are a few problems - why the masks?; what is the aim of the maks; what is the purpose of the masks; will people wear masks and ignore the distancing, &c.

Edited by snowychap

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

Get a Survivor buff. 

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I’ve yet to see a person wearing a mask here in Sweden. I think if they did people would be staring at them like they were from Mars.

It's kind of like that here. In the supermarket, maybe one person in a hundred has a mask. They look very selfconscious, and everybody else looks at them slightly pityingly/amused (but I'll bet many are uneasily wondering who's really the smart one...) 

• Like 1

I’ve been wearing a mask on the rare occasion I’ve had to go out to buy food. 

I’ve read enough on them to have formed my own opinion on it (rightly or wrongly) and based on what I’ve read, everybody should be wearing some kind of face covering and I think that it will become the consensus soon. The arguments against are spurious at best and seem to be based on fear over supplies and more of this ‘behavioural science’ shite. 

Loads of conflicting articles as with everything Covid related at the moment, but this one is worth a read (IMO). I’ve no idea what the Washington Post is like in terms of ‘trustability’, but the article is written by a scientist, who appears to be credible. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/03/28/masks-all-coronavirus/#comments-wrapper

When historians tally up the many missteps policymakers have made in response to the coronavirus pandemic, the senseless and unscientific push for the general public to avoid wearing masks should be near the top.

The evidence not only fails to support the push, it also contradicts it. It can take a while for official recommendations to catch up with scientific thinking. In this case, such delays might be deadly and economically disastrous. It’s time to make masks a key part of our fight to contain, then defeat, this pandemic. Masks effective at “flattening the curve” can be made at home with nothing more than a T-shirt and a pair of scissors. We should all wear masks — store-bought or homemade — whenever we’re out in public.

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 2

On 22/04/2020 at 18:19, avfcDJ said:

Does growing a beard count!? 😂

Mine is atrocious. 

It’s somehow thick and bushy, whilst also being thin and patchy. 

The bit around my jowls is all thick and almost looks like a proper manly, ‘Jedi-esque’ beard.

The bit on my face looks like I’ve got Alopecia

2 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Mine is atrocious. 

The bit around my jowls is all thick and almost looks like a proper manly, ‘Jedi-esque’ beard.

The bit on my face looks like I’ve got Alopecia

Same 😂

Really thick underneath though, and being blonde, the moustache looks **** awful ATM. It's all there but pretty blonde and this looks weird as the rest of the hair is dark. Think Hulk Hogan NWO, but patchy.

I'll keep going 😂

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Nothing has changed for me, up at 5am which is a pain in the arse. 

Now it's spring that's a great time to get up and go for a early morning walk. 

Walk to somewhere where you can see the sun come up. You will also hear all the birds singing and coming to life.

it's sensational and the real big bonus is there's nobody else about.

If it's not your thing give it a go just to admire mother nature. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

I’ve been wearing a mask on the rare occasion I’ve had to go out to buy food. 

3 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Mine is atrocious. 

Without wishing to be ‘that guy’ yet again, if you’re concerned enough to be one of the few wearing a mask, you’d improve your shielding even more if you were clean shaven.

Ordinarily, I’ve got a sort of 1 week / 2 week action man stubble vibe. Right now, when I need to go to site, I make sure I’ve shaved.

38 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Without wishing to be ‘that guy’ yet again, if you’re concerned enough to be one of the few wearing a mask, you’d improve your shielding even more if you were clean shaven.

Ordinarily, I’ve got a sort of 1 week / 2 week action man stubble vibe. Right now, when I need to go to site, I make sure I’ve shaved.

Well thats patronising. :trollface:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, snowychap said:

Hmm.

I think there are a few problems - why the masks?; what is the aim of the maks; what is the purpose of the masks; will people wear masks and ignore the distancing, &c.

51 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

if you’re concerned enough to be one of the few wearing a mask, you’d improve your shielding even more if you were clean shaven.

I understood the purpose of the masks not to be to protect the wearer, but to reduce the chance of a wearer with the virus spreading it to others, by filtering out the bad stuff, or at least some of the bad stuff. If that's right, and understood, then it ought not to affect distancing - it might even re-inforce it - they've got a mask on, they might have it kind of thing. You'd hope people do that anyway, but they don't (all).

NHS staff wearing plastic face shields and so on is more of the protect the wearer measure, where they are working in filtered air - the room sucks the air out and pumps clean air in, and the shield protects against direct breathing or coughing into the face of the wearer, which might overcome the atmospheric filtering measures.

Might be wrong, but that's what I read.

• Like 3

Â